“Brilliant value for money”

The Regency Hotel Dublin
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Regency is one of Dublin's older hotels, and, looking at it as you drive in, it can be a bit daunting thinking of what type of room awaits. But fear not, a budget room for a cheap-as-chips price was clean, with a large double bed and a single bed, and a decent power shower above the bath. Sure, it's not all shiny and new, but it was clean and comfortable.
If you want luxury, don't stay here however - the hotel is old and needs some tlc to bring it back to it's former glory. If like me, you need a place to put the head down for the night, and have a shower to wash away the cobwebs, then it's ideal.
Rooms are not soundproofed - didn't bother me as I wasn't trying to get some shut-eye for an early morning flight. View from the room wasn't something to inspire anything other than closing the curtains!
Car park is several metres from the front door - and a charge of €8 for 24 hours for hotel residents - that was good value to me. Down side - you can't reach the hotel from the carpark internally - as in, if it's raining, you're going to get wet.
Leisure centre is similar, being located beside the car park - I didn't try out the facilities.
Didn't use the bar or restaurant in the hotel so not sure of the standard.
Staff on checkin, housekeeping and maintenance (my tv didn't work initially) were excellent - friendly, helpful and patient. Some of the other guests in the hotel could've taken a leaf out of their books!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank KatB15
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Regency Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. It is always good to hear some positive feedback for our Staff. Our Hotel is currently undergoing renovations to all bedrooms so our Budget room category should be phased out by the end of Summer 2014, but as always we will continue to offer good value.

There are newer reviews for The Regency Hotel Dublin

Reviewed January 20, 2014

On first glance, via the website, the Regency looks like a well-appointed hotel, particularly its leisure facilities. The staff at reception were very helpful and attentive. My room, on first impression was acceptable. Closer viewing showed an array of ill-fitting fixtures, stained carpet, bath plug control which didn't work etc.
The main issue was that the room had a locked door in its wall which linked into the next room's bathroom, and the walls were paper-thin. My 'neighbours' retired to their room at 1am - I had been asleep for an hour. I did not get back to sleep until 5am. I first thought that someone had entered my room, such was the proximity of the voices. Suffice to say that I did not appreciate sharing in their intimate conversations, bathroom visits and bed-activities for four hours.
By 3am I considered going down to reception but decided against it since I could not imagine how the situation could be rectified. I tried to sleep with my iPod blaring in my ears, praying for the morning to come. The situation wasn't helped by the fact that I had to deliver 8 hrs of training the following day.
The receptionist didn't ask whether I'd had a good night as I left the following morning - perhaps they've learnt not to ask... But I did have a lovely swim in the morning, through my bleary eyes.

Room Tip: room above the entrance is not a good idea! room in the old wing was terrible - don't know if t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Bethan J

Dear Bethan
I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a restful stay with us at The Regency Hotel. It appears that you were allocated an interconnecting room which are normally reserved for Family Groups, this should not have happened. If you would like to discuss any of the points you have raised further please email me on carol@regencyhotels.com

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have stayed twice in The Regency due to its location near a hospital I regularly attend. The standard (cheaper) rooms are in very very poor condition so my advice to anyone booking is to pay an few euro extra to get a room in the new section. I haven't eaten in the hotel so cannot comment on that but the swimming pool is gorgeous.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ruth R
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Regency Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and your kind comnments regarding our swimming Pool.
Our Budget rooms are more basic but are sold at a discounted rate online, however these rooms will be gradually phased out in 2014 due to ongoing renovations

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Dont waste your time or money - this hotel should be avoided at all costs!!!

I have never as my time as a reviewer on tripadvisor written a bad hotel review, however this will be my first!!!

Booked this hotel through Living Social months ago - this was a trip for my son's 8th birthday and a chance for us to stay over night to explore Dublin. Picture on website does not truly represent the hotels appearance. Car park some distance from main hotel entrance. Gentleman in reception lovely - the only nice thing about this place.

Travelling with my 2 sons and husband, the room was at the furthers away point from the main reception. Room and decor very tired and threadborne, and facilities very old and well worn/tarnished. My kitchen sink at home was bigger than the bath, and when we ran the water it came out dark brown, we could not wash or shower in the room. The toilet did not flush properly.

We were rudely awakened at 4.45am by slamming doors, shouting and swearing, which woke up our 2 kids who thought it was morning time.

Breakfast was ok, only they forgot to put us on the list and we had to wait a while for the lady to call reception for us to be confirmed as guests (quite embarassing - we were left standing there like fools).

The leisure centre is not located in the hotel, and you have to leave the main hotel and go down to another building and go down 2 flights of stairs (lift not working) before coming to pool reception. Pool ok but very poor for kids and no toys. No physical presence of staff at side of pool so if you get into any difficulties - tough luck!!

the last insult to injury is there is no free carparking for guests - €8 for over night parking. But they fail to tell you that at checkin.

Reported the noise and the disturbance of during the night to which we received a very meak "we're sorry". We were not the only people to complain of the noise that night.

Glad to say i will never be repeating this visit!!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel if you are looking for a good room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank nettie1974

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at The Regency Hotel. I understand our General Manager has been in contact with you directly but if I can help with anything else please do not hesitate to contact me on carol@regencyhotels.com
regards

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Hotel entrance looks amazing. But wait until you get into the juddering lift, and walk along the wandering corridor's to your room past the smells of the building work going on to your room. With a bath without a working plug, that took someone time to find on that fitted. The walls are paper thin and we were kept awake by the people next door were arguing for hours and then kept us awake when they 'made up', by cousin thought they were going to come through the wall. She did complain but it didn't seem to stop them, as it happened again the next night. Whatever you do, do not stay here on a SUNDAY as they have a regular event that plays very loud music that we could here on the 4th floor, at first we thought it was the neighbours so we complained to reception, but the man who answered, didn't seem interesting in the fact we hadn't slept for the 3rd night of are stay. We complained so much that we didn't even bother to complain about are kettle not working or the strange cut out missing piece of carpet. For some reason the hairdryer cable was fitted through the back of the desk, which made it difficult to dry your hair.

Room Tip: Don't stay here let alone on a Sunday as you won't sleep until at least midnight.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest
We are so sorry to hear about your dissapointing stay with us for your Cousin's Birthday. I have forwarded your comments regarding noise levels to our Operations Manager to investigate what can be done to prevent a repeat. If you would like to disuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me on carol@regencyhotels.com

Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Myself & a friend stayed for one night on the spa package on Saturday the 11th of January. Having read the reviews on here we were extremely nervous about our stay. Having arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The girl was reception (Nicola) was very polite and professional. Our room was lovely. Flat screen tv & an extremely comfortable bed. Was quite modern design but basic. I wouldn't stay in the other rooms as they are very old fashioned. We had booked a facial & back massage in the spa. Both were amazing. The back massage in particular was the best I've had. The evening meal was lovely & breakfast was ok. Small selection but what we had tasted lovely. I would stay again but in the upgraded room.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank vmurph
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Regency Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and for your kind comments, which I have passed to the relevent department heads as it is always nice to get such positive feedback.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed January 12, 2014

It's 11.33 and the noise from the singles dancing is keeping me awake. My room is on the 4th floor, after ringing reception the Eastern European member of staffs attitude was appalling. This hotel should be avoided. We ate in the hotel and ordered a rare steak which arrived raw. My wife ordered a steak cooked medium, it arrived burnt.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Garydriver

Dear Gary
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience while staying with us die to noise from our Sunday Night Dance. I hope you were not disturbed too much as the dance does end at midnight. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal and have passed your comments our Executive Head so that corrective action can be taken to prevent a repeat
regards