“Service with a smile.... even with a hotel full of drunk women!”

The Regency Hotel Dublin
Ranked #116 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Service with a smile.... even with a hotel full of drunk women!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Myself and 5 friends went to the East 17 Christmas night last Saturday (8th December) and had a truly fantastic evening.

From check-in, right up to check out the next morning everyone at the hotel was so pleasant and polite. We had 3 beautiful rooms on the fourth floor, which we loved.

The dinner was delicious, we were only short of licking the plates! From past experience at large Christmas parties like that, the food isn’t great but then again it can’t be easy feeding that many people, approx 1000 people! However, our dinner was divine!

The security at the gig, can only be described as outstanding! They were such good humoured and polite and had a smile for everyone.

I seen them “defusing” some situations during the night and done it exceptional well. They were also called to our room during the night (whoopsy!) However, even at 5am in the morning.... after a night of dealing with drunk women they were still nothing but polite!
This is a skill that needs to be acknowledged!

At breakfast the next morning, (we were seated up the back in the overflow part) we had a lovely Irish women looking after us. Even though it was crazy busy, she couldn’t have done enough for us, offering seconds of tea & toast. It sounds silly but given how busy it was at breakfast, we were very impressed.

All in all a superb stay for excellent value.

Well done to all at The Regency Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have to agree with Sunshinebuddy87, this hotel is much better then I expected. My greatest fear is that a Hotel may not be clean and I was worried about this one considering the previous reviews. There was no need to worry, the rooms were perfectly clean.The Bar staff were exceptionally friendly and there was a lot of good humoured banter, I was a very relieved customer and would have no problem booking this hotel again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ariii
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I were on a tour of Ireland and our last stop was The Regency Hotel.

Having came on here and read some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive to say the least!

However I have to say its not half as bad as its made out to be. Our room was clean and had a wonderful view over Dublin. The hotel itself has good facilities, free WiFi and live sports and entertainment in the bar.

I do agree about the Reception staff, when we checked in we were not made to feel welcome at all, not even a smile! Just given our room key and shown the lift.

The spa is pretty good. Although some of the water features were turned off when I used the pool. Better to go later in the evening as to avoid kids taking over the pool area.

The food in the bar was good, we didn't eat in the restaurant as it was a bit pricey although I'm sure it would be worth it. Bar staff really nice and helpful . There is a cafe and mini supermarket attached to the hotel which is convienient , I recommend the cafe for breakfast as this will save you a few Euros.

The Hotel is in a great location , 10 min drive to Airport and 15 min bus trip into O'Connell Street. If you want to eat but not venture too far there is a great place about 700 yards down the road from the hotel called The Ivy.

Good value for money and I would go back if visiting Dublin again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sunshinebuddy87
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

comfortable room and a good nights sleep , good location, convenient to airport and short bus ride to city , pleasant and helpful staff, one of the best views of Dublin and the mountains from the upper floors

Room Tip: top floors
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mcarch
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

The reception/bar area are quite nice and modern but once you get past the lobby everything is very dated, freezing cold and the hygiene is quite bad. The food that was included was terrible, was blatantly re-heated junk and served in a horrible dining room that looked like it was from the Marie Celeste! The shower and toilet are pretty awkward to work as well.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank DnaG87

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

just back after our 2 night break away arrived friday checked in staff had zero interest in us or any other people that were staying gave us room key no welcome !!!!!!!! room was good enough and fairly clean covers on beds stained room a bit dusty .went down for breakfast asked girl to direct us to restaurant.as we were just about to leave reception a staff member started spraying sure deodrant i could not belive what i was seeing my husband was raging over this as i was but left it go put it down to the zero interest of staff and managers !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !breakfast was cold coffee and toast a better choice cant really make mistake with that choice no good morning again zero interest !!!!! as we were visiting friends they decided to come over for lunch hoped this would go well!!!!!6 adults 4 children carvery it was awful dont know why i would have thought it would be good cold slapped on to plate a few of us didnt finish or the kids either being honest we didnt feel well for the rest of the evening could not get hold of a manager anyway his interest is probably zero and no point in writing or ringing him just to let people know and advise of our stay awful awful .breakfast was the same this morning check out girl had zero interest in us and also when we checked in they swiped our credit card when we checked out she actually took the payment from it without a pin number and when i said it to her it was my husbands card as he was gone for a swim with our son she looked at me as with a strange expression on her face all i wanted to do was leave . We could not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mgt o
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Regency

On first sight this hotel is nothing special, just another ugly modern building trying to who knows what in old Dublin. Get a bit closer and you will find that they have tried to gussy up the front entry somewhat with an "older" style which looks half decent. Major spoiler: The hotel looks like it's falling apart inside.

Past that you're into the lobby which actually looks quite nice. When we arrived we found the top three floors were under renovation so we couldn't get those. Okay, no big deal.

When dealing with their staff you either get a confused stare, complete rudeness or, if your lucky, a bit of help that lasts long enough for them to lose interest. It's kind of like dealing with puppies that see a squirrel. Very frustrating. There is also a bit of a language barrier, and I'm not talking English to Irish but English to eastern Europe somewhere. Forgive me if it seems prejudice but the whole hotel seems to be filled with people who only speak English long enough to shuffle you on your way after being as unhelpful as possible.

The first room we had was ridiculous. The toilet seat fell off when you sat down, the tiles on the floor were popping up and the windows had enough hand prints on them to turn what would have been a great view of Dublin into a mess. Oh, and I don't know who invented a tub two feet wide but I don't like the shower curtain grabbing at me every time I turn around, call me picky if you like but it's weird and frankly feels disgusting.

So, we said something. They moved us to a new room. Damn decent of them. Bigger, slightly nicer but now we had a shower that had hot and cold fits. This is brutal after a long day out in the city and something that could be fixed but I didn't feel up to getting relocated a second time so I let it go, probably a mistake but hey, I don't need the staff being any more rude to me then they already are.

No real sound proofing on the doors either, just thin slices of wood so when the family across the hall has four kids, the parents argue and slamming doors seems like a good sport, you hear it all.

All that said, I have some points in their favour. The beds were comfy, the duvets so nice we plotted to make off with one but finally decided against it. In room furniture is decent as well.

Food is good on sight, really decent but a tad pricey and again the service is bleh.

Best part about this hotel is its location. Granted it's not downtown, or even what you would call close, but virtually every bus that passes at the stop 100 yards away goes downtown. Those same buses come back up and with good frequency so getting around is not an issue. They drop you downtown right on O’Connell St, about a 15 minute walk from Connelly Station and five minutes from the Luas.

A note on the fitness facilities. Very nice though the fascination they have with bathing caps I will never understand. Only downside is you have to go outside the hotel to get in, unless you cut through the conference centre; which they seem to frown on.

Would we stay here again? Probably not though the price we got through our travel agent was a great lure.

Room Tip: Ask for a downtown facing one, and insist on a real bathtub or it's impossible to do anything ot...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple