“Excellent Night's Sleep halfways between Dublin and Dublin Airport”

The Bonnington Dublin
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent internet room only rate of €53 per room per night could not be beaten, and nice room with excellent duvet lead to a great night's sleep. Breakfast at €10 was good value for the next day. Shower excellent too. Large Poker group staying their for some World or European Poker Classic, meant bar was full at night and there was a warm ambiance pertaining. One excellent pint of Carlsberg and a nicely presented Jameson rendered a good night's sleep welcome! Slighly miserly charge of €6 for overnight parking in a half- empty but secure car park, was balanced by free internet in the room! Both on arrival and at check-out there was a queue at the reception desk and perhaps more staff could be deployed there for busy times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lift, or on a certain floor and staff normally will accommodate if one is av...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very poor hotel. Some staff were lovely but many had a poor attitude, and the whole place seemed disorganised. The food on the week nights was terrible. The room had a latch broken on the window so it didn't close properly, and the room was much smaller than the website had indicated when we booked. The lights flashed on and off in the corridor and the walls between the rooms were quite thin. Overall I got a feeling that the hotel was probably fine 7 or 8 years ago but in the meantime has become run down and is not worthy of its 4* status. The price did not reflect the quality of the hotel at all, even half the cost would have been too much for this place. The buffet breakfast was its one saving grace but would not recommend it at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jo_K1234
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at the Regency 2/11/12. Will never stay again. Girl on reception at check in was so dry, I think it was because I booked with Booking.com. She give no information about hotel, just give me the key and said lifts are round there and pointed. The room was basic and looked out to a brick wall, and not like the ones in the photos. The bath was all chipped and had hairs in it and even had pubic hairs around the taps. Carpet looked like it had not been hovered in years dust up the sides of the bed. The next morning I noticed dark hairs in the bed and on the pillows, I was near sick. Check out was a joke, girls said “you checking out?” yes please, “she took my card put it in the machine and said “pin number”, “there’s your receipt”. Not even thank you or how was your stay? Was everything all right for you? I think it is a joke having to pay to park your car. The only good point was the Wi Fi was good. I have stayed in their sister hotel in Bray and it was lovely, shame about the Regency.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robogray
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Would never stay in this place again, paid 99 euro for the room, all that worked in the room was the lights, not 1 socket worked, when we got to our room the tv did not work, we were going to the bar for dinner so we told staff about it and they said they would send up maintenance, when we went back up to get ready to go out we then noticed that the sockets didn't work, my phone was dead and could not ring my kids, could not use my hair straightner either and my hair was a mess, went back down to reception to tell them and again they said they would send maintenance, told them I needed it fixed as soon as because we were going out, an hour later and still no one came. I asked to see the manager, waited at reception for 40 mins to see this so called manager, he has passed us on several occasions, we didn't know he was the manager as he had no badge to say who he was, so I asked again for the manager, eventually he spoke to us after he finished on his phone. He asked with my permission could he go and see what was wrong, he eventually came back to us saying that the lights were working, which I already told him they were working cause that was all that was working, he said everything else was working when he checked, and all we needed was a new remote for the tv. While we were at reception they sent up maintenance, hence as to why we were waiting for so long to see the manager. They tried to make a fool of us, as I told him my Mam, Dad, Brother and Nephew were also in our room to have a look and see what was wrong. So they knew that nothing was working.The room was not in great nick, cracks on the tile floors, pieces of wall missing, curtains didn't close right, had to use a chair to hold 1 end against the wall, lucky we didn't 1 of our kids staying as the end of the single bed had been broke, collapsed a the end, the list goes on and on. The only decent thing in the whole place was the food in the bar, and the bar staff were nice, also the bouncer at the door was a nice man, he remembers how long we had to wait to see this so called manager, it's more like a motel, would never ever stay in this place again, ended up going home late at night, got no refund for the trouble it caused us, we were also late for the party we were going to aswell, and my hair was like a horse's mane thank's to not having electric, my advice to any one, Do not go to this place, find some were else, the Sky Line is just down the road from it, would have to be a lot better than here.
Got no offer of a refund either, not good :(

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank janice55russell
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I dont usually write reviews on hotels but my recent stay here was so bad I just had to warn others about it. This is the most awful hotel I have ever stayed at! I paid budget price but would rather have stayed in a travelodge. The room had no heating, telephone and TV didnt work and the room smelt really musty. The shower scalded me then kept switching from boiling hot to freezing cold. I complained and was told that someone would sort the heating but when I returned form an evening out it hadnt been looked at. Again i complained and they offered me a new room on the newer side of the hotel building. They also gave us free breakfast. Although this was acceptable, my main issue was with how they dealt with the complaint. They never once acknowledged the issues and thought it was acceptable to just offer a new room. On several occasions I tried to explain that there were several things wrong with the room but they would interupt and just say "well we've changed your room now so its not a problem anymore". Staff rude and unfriendly throughout the hotel - the staff just did not care. Wouldnt stay there again ever even for free. Be warned. The only good point about this hotel is the Spa which was lovely and reasonably proced for beauty treatments (although I believe this has just been purpose built/renovated by the hotel).

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay 200 euros per night then choose the more expensive rooms. They have renova...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here for a romantic city break on a budget for Three nights

We agree with all the comments the hotel is dated, shabby, worn and really needs a good sort out!
Communal carpets thread bare, socket hanging of wall, stains not to mention things not working

After reading someone's comment about finding hairs in their bed, the first thing I did was check the bed sheets, I have never done this in my life! I could tell the sheets were clean but can you believe in a big long black hair on my pillow, Eww - The chamber maid I noticed did have long black hair - she needs to plait it and keep it tidy!

Staff on the desk seemed friendly although not over helpful but not one Irish? On arrival there was no kettle, no remote and the sink plug didn't work, we had to ask Three times to get this resolved.

Our room was miles away from anything, it was a major hike and we had a lovely view of a WALL!
The room was cold but the hallway and breakfast area was even colder!

I am a bad sleeper, I don't know if it was the extreme exhaustion but I slept like a log until 7.29 am each morning when some inconsiderate person slammed there door shut, every morning which shook our room walls.
Our bed was large, firm and comfy

The wifi was useless in our room had to go down to reception to use it and I wasn't the only one!

Breakfast was boring, no healthy options, no fresh fruit, the juices were all cheap and nasty with loads of sugar, the coffee cheap and bitter, the cooked breakfast was all over cooked and no variety
toast was always cold and under cooked, service was extremely poor and the old dear, she never shuts up or does any work but at least she was Irish!
The saving grace for this hotel is it's leisure complex, which boast Five star's, No way and it wasn't without it's issue's. Pool warm but needs a good clean, the Jacuzzi was weak with tiles falling of, the steam room stank and the sauna wasn't working and was told it hasn't since January!

Remember to use any Irish pool you need a hat most places charge 2 euros, Regency charges 3 euros ( my tip take your own)
Watch the leisure centres staff, you have to leave a 1 euro deposit for the towels, one of the ladies indicated that we are paying for hire of the towels!

You have to pay for parking unless you are disabled, while we stayed the hotel had a wake in the function room, parking became a major problem not to mention the noise, language and vomit!

I have made an officially complaint asking for my money back!

Room Tip: They say ask for a upgrade, we did and was told we could if we paid more!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gorwydd
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of August. I cant say anything good about this hotel. The staff (except for the barman who was friendly) were unfriendly. When we were checking in we didn't even get a " welcome to the Regency" or thank you for staying. Our dinner took 2 hours between ordering and receiving it as we were told by a member of staff that "we are just busy with the bus tours".!!!! Breakfast was ok on the 1st morning but the 2nd morning it was terrible. Plates, cutlery etc were dirty which put us totally off eating. The juice was so watered down we may as well just have had water. We didn't even get a "Thank you for staying at the Regency". I put the card up on reception desk and said we are checking out. The girl at the desk just said, yeah ok!!!! Will not be staying at this hotel again, even if we got it for free. Staff need some serious people skills.!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and it was pretty quiet. Room was very clean.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family