“Lovely hotel - but receptionist needs a lesson in hospitality!”
Review of Schoolhouse Hotel

Schoolhouse Hotel
Ranked #27 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, the first weekend in December. I really liked a lot about this hotel except for the poor attitude of one of the receptionists (shoulder length brown hair) which would turn me off staying there again
When i arrived there was no one in reception and when she came out of the dining room area she barely looked at me and very hurriedly proceeded to ask for 'Name?'. She slapped a form up in front of me to fill out, there was no welcome whatsoever, in fact I felt like I had interrupted something more important and was just in the way!! It was the same attitude from her every time we met her, I was amazed at how unfriendly she was. Even when we were checking out she never asked us how was our stay, did we enjoy Dublin, nothing! She really did not want to engage at all. I must add that there was another receptionist with longer darker hair who was very pleasant and always had a smile when we met her but our most important encounters i.e arrival and departure were with the other one. Such a pity as she really lets this place down.
Our room was lovely and cosy and very quiet which was fantastic. It was spacious and was beautifully decorated. I loved the fact that the hotel is small and charming and has lots of character unlike some of the large chain hotels. Its also in a great location and there is a bus stop across the road so its easy to get a bus into town which only takes a few minutes.
I would have given this hotel 5 out of five but for this receptionist. Unfortunately I wouldn't be inclined to go back.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maria99-12
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I was deeply, deeply disappointed to read your comments in relation to your encounters with one of the members of our Front Desk Team. I sincerely apologise and can assure you that I will be personally following up on the matter.

Your comments in relation to our room decor and the charm and character of the hotel were so positive that it is a shame to think that we were let down by one member of staff. I would please ask you to take my word that this is not reflective of the usual very high level of customer service offered at the Schoolhouse Hotel and ask you to give us the chance to redeem ourselves. My direct email is tseale@schoolhousehotel.com and I would really appreciate if you would make contact directly with me. Many thanks once again for your review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I had only an afternoon and evening in Dublin as we had a layover from Rome to Boston. Great place, great location and a great bar. I only gave them a negative review since the woman on the front desk at the time we were there (both afternoon and the next morning) was very curt and not friendly at all. I felt intimated even to ask her a question and I felt I was either interrupting her or putting her out based upon her response and body language. In all fairness, I have addressed this directly with the general manager and she assured me she would look into it.

This was a real bummer but in all fairness, this was a great place. I thought the room and pub were fantastic and it was greatly disappointing not to spend more time there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Many thanks for your recent review and indeed sending me your feedback directly. I was delighted to read of your very positive comments in relation to our rooms and our bar.

As promised I did follow up on the issues raised in your email and can assure you this has been addressed.

You mention you would have liked to have spent more time with us and we also would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back. You have my direct contact details so please do not hesitate to contact me should you ever visit Dublin in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed overnight on business.
Reception staff were not very welcoming .
Building is an old schoolhouse with far too many doors making it very difficult for moving suitcases.
Rooms average with wooden floors. Bathroom floors had loose floorboards with crevices between boards. Not very hygienic.
Breakfast was average.
Only really good thing about this hotel is its location.
Would not return to it again

Room Tip: Get a room at back as front is noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We spent a couple if nights at this hotel on the recommendation of a local. It's little out of town but not so far that you can't walk to Trinity College and the National Art Gallery. plus shopping on Grafton Street.

Nicely placed next to a canal lock, this old school has been furnished in smart traditional style, beds a little firm but rooms clean and spacious. Even the heater/air con is hidden behind a wooden lattice!

You can eat in the restaurant or the bar from the same menu of nicely cooked and planned dishes. Breakfasts were fresh, with hot food cooked to order and coffee with character.

The staff are very friendly, and with 24 hour reception you can stay out late and be greeted with a smile on your arrival back.

It was pleasing to have free wifi, surely a basic in hotels these days.

All in all I concur with our recommendation. This is a reasonably priced hotel that offers a different experience than modern international places that offer bland homogeneity. We would return!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Earthsounz,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Your comments in relation to our location, rooms, bar, restaurant and of course our friendly staff are very much appreciated.

We thank you for your recommendation and hope to welcome you back to The Schoolhouse at some time in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here in summer 2013 - a really interesting and lovely place. We had previously been in another city and had a bad hotel experience (not as advertised) so it was a great relief to arrive at the Schoolhouse and find it as good as advertised. Friendly staff, interesting decor, good food and drinks. I enjoyed the historical notes found throughout the property and at each room. Definitely within walking distance of Dublin sites. I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

'Twas the week before Christmas... and the Schoolhouse Hotel had been selected as the destination for our office party. The price: €35 + wine (which easily cost an extra €15 per head).

I started with a beetroot and blue cheese chicory salad, followed by a creamy sweet potato risotto and a bread and butter pudding for dessert. All but the pudding were excellent (it was small and a bit bland).

The service was friendly and the food was nice... the price was a bit steep but it is D4 after all! In the spirit of Christmas I'll give them a '4 out of 5' ... but take note that this is me being generous.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This was the last night of our week's trip to Ireland and, while all of our prior accommodations were either excellent or beyond, the Schoolhouse fell well short. First, the greeting at reception was cold. Next, the description of the deluxe room (which we paid extra) was extremely overstated based on the information on their website. The overall grounds were fair at best and the service in the pub was so very slow with only four other people being there. I did write to the GM who did respond but, by the tone of her note, did not beleive my observations accurate. She said "give us another try"

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple