“Nice place to stay!”
Review of Waterloo House

Waterloo House
Ranked #32 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Very nice hotel. Great value. Just a short walk (15 minutes or so from Temple Bar/City Center).
Rooms are nicely decorated. Had a minor issue with our room, but the owner was eager to accommodate us and fix the problem.
Rooms are newly redecorated and beds are comfy.
Breakfast room is splendid, and the breakfast options are many. From the "Full Irish" to the waffles and on to the French Toast, all was deelish. Fruit, cereal, and yogurt included as well. Nice.
There is an atrium adjoning the breakfast room so it is bright and sunny (when the sun decides to come out).
Excellent!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank John S

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Located in a classy part of Dublin, the rooms are elegant and very comfortable. The breakfast was first class, and all the staff were cheerful and very helpful. Highly recommended for those looking to sample Dublin's delights.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Accommodation: The room we had was rather small. The bed for two persons was smaller than a queen and there was hardly any room on the floor to put two medium luggage bags. However, although the furnishing was old, the room and bathroom was very clean. It was sufficient for a short, simple stay.
Breakfast: Breakfast options were good - there was a buffet spread to supplement cooked breakfast you can order from the menu. The area where breakfast is served is really pretty - just where the back garden in. There were a lot of guests the 2/3 days we were there and because they were in a large group, they had moved tables and chairs and removed cutlery from other tables for their own use, making it difficult to find a space to sit for breakfast. They had also finished a lot of the items from the buffet table and it took a while for the guest house staff to get them replaced.
Location: Location of the accommodation is really good - just off a main street which has a lot of eateries, a small supermarket and pharmacy. It is a nice 15-20 minute walk to the Trinity College area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Waterloo House is a gem. I stayed one night and loved it. It was very clean, welcoming and a good value. Breakfast was great and they were kind to serve me early when I forgot the time difference. The staff was helpful and thoughtful.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Over many years of visiting Dublin I passed by Waterloo House and wondered what it was like. I have now stayed there and was highly impressed by this upmarket bed and breakfast that emanates a home from home atmosphere. The situation is ideal for those who want to be close to Dublin city centre and only a five minute walk from the busy Baggott Street with its quality shops, restuarants and bars. The bus service from the city centre stops virtually outside the door with a bus very few minutes.

I got parked in the free car park in the front of the house and rang the bell and was warmly welcomed by David, a young Dublin man who was covering reception and check in was informative and friendly. My room was well and comfortably furnished and the bed provided for a sound and undisturbed sleep. Tea and Coffee facilities are in each room with plenty of good quality coffee and two bottle of still water. Free Wi Fi covers the entire house and is fast and efficient.

Breakfast was freshly cooked and served by Maria who was really friendly and helpful. There was a wide selection of cereals and yoghurts and on the hot food menu the usual Irish Fry together with a variety of fish and pancake dishes. The bacon was thick, tasty and freshly cooked and overall the breakfast experience was excellent and served in a delightful dining room overlooking the garden.

There is a comfortable lounge area in the front of the house with daily newspapers and books and a large TV although there are TVs in each room. When leaving I met the owner, Evelyn Corcoran, a friendly lady who has got to be congratulated on the seamless running of a fine establishment.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Waterloo House is a much more flexible and accommodating option that the larger chain hotels. There was no problem checking in as soon as I arrived despite the fact that this was a good hour before the earliest stated check in time. Waterloo House is ideally located just off the City Centre in Dublin so the attractions and a good selection of restaurants are within easy walking distance, while being just far enough away for a peaceful nights sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lordy2013
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked a last minute trip to Dublin, finding this hotel and booking merely a couple days before I arrived. It is a renovated Georgian (2 I think), classic of Dublin. I actually flew in with the owner Evelyn, who recognized me from the plane and said she almost asked me if I was staying there! I decided to try Aircoach (the shuttle service), & won't describe here, but I got dropped off a few (longish but not terrible) blocks from the hotel, and it was cheap--at rush hour (we were stopped in traffic awhile) this saved me a good bit of change. Evelyn said there was a closer one (I would ask in advance if you wanted to take it).

This B&B was a delightful find. It is not in the heart of the city centre, but in a lovely residential neighborhood just a short walk to the city centre and attractions, about 15 minutes to St. Stephan's. Merrion Square is nearby and is a great place to walk as well. There are numerous buses in front and a half a block away, but I always enjoyed walking (granted, I live in a city and walk all the time). Just a half a block away is a main street of shops and cafes and restaurants; when I was there in May, there was a small Tesco I believe (grocery store) as well as a gourmet store where you can pick up various snacks and sundries and even a prepared meal, as I did one night when I was tired. Tea service is in the room.

My room was small (typical of Europe) but extremely comfortable and I thought well appointed for the price point. The room was very clean. A shower stall only, no tub, but very large by European standards. FYI, the hotel provides bath/shower wash rather than bars of soap or shampoo--worked in a pinch but I went and bought some supplies in the store down the street. The bed I thought was very comfortable and the room had a flat screen tv with a few channels. I don't spend a lot of time watching tv, but it is nice to see the weather and to have a little Irish tv on while you plan your next day or fall asleep. Free wifi works well in the rooms.

Breakfast is served in a large breakfast room, part of which is a lovely atrium that of course all the guests want to sit in. The atrium overlooks a garden and occasionally a dog or two (who are very interested in breakfast), which I find delightful. There's a buffet at breakfast with fruit and yogurt, juice and water. You can order a full or mini-Irish breakfast or bread basket. The full and mini Irish were delicious. My last morning I left obscenely early, long before breakfast started. The extremely helpful morning worker, whose name I forget!, offered to make me anything, and when I declined, she brought me some delicious brown bread that I started making at home I loved it so much. There is also a common lounge upstairs, not terribly big, but has some comfy seats for s short sit. There's an elevator, but I always took the stairs. My room was at the front of the hotel, above the front door, but I did not find it noisy.

Everyone was incredibly helpful and gracious at the hotel, very friendly and happy to answer questions or make arrangements such as a taxi to the airport. One of them even gave me a stamp and refused to let me pay for it. All in all, if you like a cosy, comfortable B&B that provides a delightful neighborhood experience just a short walk from the main attractions, this place is for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo