Number 31
Arlington Hotel O'Connell Bridge(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$179
$172
Hotels.com
$231
Mespil Hotel(Dublin)
$145
Jurys Inn Dublin Parnell Street(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$190
$314
$285
Hotels.com
  • Pool
$293
  • Restaurant
Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$263
$235
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$131
$215
$185
Buswells Hotel
The Merrion Hotel(Dublin)
$316
$298
  • Pool
All reviewsgeorgian houseb bcranberry breadpeat firesunken living roomboutique hotelwonderful hoststhe main housefull irishhome away from homesitting areaeach morningno elevatorbed and breakfastguest housest stephens greenbreakfast was delicious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Number 31 May 25-27, in the upper level of the coach house. We had already been in Ireland for a week, but recalling how I felt after flying over from the States I would have loved the welcome we received even more. Tea, coffee, and cranberry bread in from of the fireplace while relaxing and getting travel tips...

Our room was absolutely wonderful, comfy bed and a view of the courtyard. The breakfasts are outstanding...I am officially addicted to rashers.

Two small problems, one completely out of the control of the management. While the location is great for seeing Dublin, on the weekends the street Number 31 is on becomes quite the clubbing scene. Quite noisy outside the Friday night we were there.

The other issue was actually with the location of our room. It was right next to the office/kitchen, and while we could tell an effort was made to keep quiet, we could usually hear the phone ringing and any conversation above a whisper. Added to this was the fact that in order to get water pressure to the bathroom some kind of pump (that was quite noisy) went into operation, making any use of water a noisy operation.

Do not let this keep you from staying here...(for one thing I am a notoriously light sleeper). We would stay again in a heartbeat, although we would probably try to get a room across the way in the townhouse portion.

7  Thank mooie74
Reviewed May 25, 2006

We stayed at No 31 for one night, I chose it because of the reviews on this website and on the No 31 website; it sounded 'different' ... and it was.

While there is a little 'shabbiness' in some parts I don't think that detracts from the comfort of the place and it adds to its character "shabby chic". The lounge and breakfast room in the mews section of the place is very 60s and very different to anywhere I've ever stayed. The Georgian townhouse is splendid, with high ceilings and wide staricases. The bedroom we had looked as though it had recently been refurbished and was elegantly decorated in contemporary neutrals. As someone else mentioned in their review it was more like staying in a friends guest room than a B&B.

The breakfast was good, the best out of everywhere we had stayed on our week driving hoiday (and that included the 5 star Hayfeild Manor in Cork, where the only additional benefit was a complementary glass of bubbly).

The only slight negative was our room was very small, I would have loved to see some of the other rooms to compare. As for the peat smell in the lounge I thought it was great; despite it being May the weather was appalling and to be greated by a real fire was lovely.
Would definitely stay again... maybe ask for a bigger room though.

7  Thank Gajeckyj
Reviewed May 24, 2006

If B&B's with all their quirks and charms are your thing - then I can highly recommend Number 31. The Georgian House gives a real authentic flavor - after seeing how the Georgian Architecture dominates the city - it was lovely to go "home" to see what lies behind the brick facades. The bed was very comfortable the bathroom and room were extremely clean (and spacious if you have a delux accomodation). The breakfast lives up to all the rave reviews. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Next to the breakfast and the comfy bed, the location of Number 31 is the B&B's best feature. It is only two short blocks away from the airport coach service and a five minutes stroll to St. Stephen's green. Going in the opposite direction away from St. Stephen's Green is the Georgian House Museum -which is a lovely way to spend an hour seeing how life was lived during the reign of the Georges.

There are only two small detractors to Number 31, neither of which would prevent me from returning for another visit. I only mention them, so that people will not go and be disappointed. First, the TV in the room was tiny (but who goes to Ireland to watch TV, right?) and the smell in the lobby (the lobby features a very cool sunken couch and fireplace) took a bit to get used to. It is actually just the smoke from the old fireplace, but it is quite musty. If you request a room in the Georgian House (the main house) vs. the carriage house (where the lobby is) then you can avoid this unique oder altogether.

I look forward to returning to Dublin and to Number 31!

8  Thank jenholiday
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed May 19, 2006

I stayed in this hotel twice. Once in March of 2005 & then again in April 2006. I really loved it in 2005 - and I have to stay that I liked it better the first time around.

Not that it has changed all that much - but the service wasn't as good, but it wasn't terrible. (There were a few messages we missed - which was the biggest problem) And, one reason I like to travel is to experience new people. If you like staying with Americans - this is good place to stay, but I kind of felt like I was staying with my retired mom and all her friends. Not exactly what I was looking for, but not all that bad either.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 16, 2006

We recently stayed at Number 31 and would highly recommend it more to anyone visiting Dublin. The value for the money is excellent ( and the US dollar continues to sink). Besides the great safe location.......the staff, breakfasts and guest rooms are all fabulous!

It was also fun meeting interesting people from all over the world at breakfast. The owner and his staff went out of their way to give us travel tips around the area and directions.

We will be recommending Number 31 to all our friends planning a trip to Dublin.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member