“Hospitality, Charm but not bland modern chain”
Review of Number 31

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dublin
Number 31
Ranked #46 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 28, 2005

I too was a little concerned about a couple of the reviews, but we had a fantastic B&B experience. The hospitality and breakfast are not over rated. They are as good as you'll encounter worldwide. As the entertaining proprietor admitted, it does need a big investment to update some of the facilities but that is also part of its charm. We had a beautifully decorated room. The reception area and dining area are also delightful. The location is also good for museums and a pleasant walk to Temple Bar.
Don't go if you want a formulaic modern chain hotel experience, but if you enjoy getting to know local people who rightfully take pride in their unique style of hospitality then give it a go. There will be many repeat visitors there too.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank Goods_on_Tour

Reviewed November 26, 2005

This is our second stay in this charming Georgian rowhouse within walking distance to St Stephen's and downtown. In 1999, we were here for the Dublin marathon, and it was perfectly placed for the start/finish area (Connell Street) and the 9 mile marker!!! Noel and Deidra Comer, proprietors, provide a warm, friendly B&B with charm and elegance. The rooms are quite nice, with the most luxurious linens and towels. The beds are super cozy, and the bathrooms and sitting areas always clean and fresh. By the way, the breakfast is the closest thing to gourmet!! Fresh berries and mixed fruit, and a wonderful "full Irish", any way you prefer. Anne, the general manager, will attend to any need, and is a good source for all that is Dublin!! You will leave relaxed, refreshed, and with wonderful new friends. This is a place where we will make our "home" on future visits.

Jim and Diane Tomaszewski
Cincinnati, Ohio

2  Thank runnerohioheart
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 21, 2005

I have stayed at Number 31 on many occasions over a period of many years. I visit Dublin for business meetings and I always try to stay at Number 31. It is located in a pleasant part of Dublin; it is different to other guest houses, bed & breakfasts and hotels and has a special ambience, atmosphere of calm, warmth and friendliness about it which you will not get elsewhere. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the crisp linen of the beds is a pleasure to sink into. You will not get a better breakfast in Dublin and the staff could not be more friendly or helpful; I have shared many a breakfast table with tourists at Number 31 and seen the special welcome which Noel, Anne, Aisling, Delia and their crew afford to visitors to Dublin (they work wonders for the Irish Tourist Board!). On one occasion recently Number 31 was unfortunately full and I had to stay at a nearby hotel; it was twice the price and came nowhere near the comfort level. Number 31 is simply a wonderful oasis and I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Marlow, UK
Reviewed November 15, 2005

A very interesting venue, we stayed in a lovely bedroom, ate magnificent breakfasts and attended by very pleasant staff. And ideally situated for walking the sights of Dublin. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2005

I loved the entire layout with the courtyard connecting the two buildings. I Stayed in #19 which faced the courtyard and it was luxurious and peacefull. The antique furniture and accesiories were truly superior. Ceiling height of at least 12 feet gave it a spacious feel. Great Irish breakfast and then some. Service was efficient and kind. I particularly liked the morning breakfast in the solarium. Our host, Noel and his entourage, were most entertaining nad helpfull. I'd definetly return to these gracious digs and extend my stay the next time around. In a word, the place was "brilliant".

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed November 11, 2005

The price was one of the highest in Dublin for a basement room with a small 1/2 window high up- the view? out in to an alleyway! Breakfast crowd wakes you up if the staff didn't already... very strange place. Fireplace made the place choke with smoke... broken bath fixtures... just really run down place. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2005

2005 marks my third year in a row staying at the highly acclaimed Number 31 Guest House. Not only have I looked forward to it more and more each year, Number 31 has NEVER dissapointed. My father and I travel regularly to participate in the Dublin Marathon. We make our reservations with Number 31 on the day of our departure for the next year's marathon.

I've stayed in both the Georgian House and the Coach House. Both are superb. I would have to say I prefer the Georgian House for its tasteful decoration and stunning ambiance. I can't say enough about the breakfast. It is the best I have ever tasted. The homemade cranberry and brown bread is to die for. The only complaint I would have to say about Number 31 is that they contributed to my ten pound weight gain at the end of my trip! Anne is the lovely woman who runs the B$B on a daily basis. Talk about Irish charm. You couldn't ask for a more perfect host.

I would just like to say one thing before I end my review. This is a bed and breakfast. It is not a large chain motel. You will not get room service at 2am and there is NO BAR. I am amazed at how many people think a B&B should have a bar! To stay at Number 31 is an experience of a lifetime. Stay yourself, with your significant other, or even with the children. I promise it will be a vacation you will never forget.

• Stayed: October 2005