“My friends recommendations were spot on!”
Review of Number 31

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dublin
Number 31
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
kalamazoo, mi
“My friends recommendations were spot on!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

A lovely boutique hotel a few minutes walk from the city center. Kind and passionate staff, incredible breakfast. I won't consider any other accommodations when I return to Dublin.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank jamiek830

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed five nights at Number 31 in January 2012. I really enjoyed my stay, it really felt like staying in someones home. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast amazing and my room had its own private garden! The best part, however, was the bed! I don't think I've ever slept in a better bed! It was simply amazing!

The only problem was the door to my room, it was incredibly difficult to unlock the door! I probably spent at least a minute trying to unlock every time! I notified one of the staff members, so hopefully it's been fixed already!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna B
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, but feel the need to do so after staying at this hotel. 3 friends and I (2 Londoners & 2 from NYC) went for a quick New Year's trip & a major highlight was definitely Number 31. It is absolutely beautiful and feels as if you're staying in someone's Georgian mansion. The breakfast is completely amazing (as everyone on here has already said) and Noel & the rest of the hosts could not have been nicer, more informative or more accommodating. It's also super close to everything you'll want to see & especially close to St. Stephen's Green park, which is gorgeous. I think we only took a cab once in 5 days. I've been telling everyone about this place so take my advice & stay here!

Room Tip: If possible, try to stay in the house out back, not in the area in the main where the breakfast room...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CFNYC_11
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Amazing breakfast, beautiful historic buildings, friendly hosts, relaxing sitting room w fireplace. Being a little out of town means it's quiet, but a bit of a walk for shopping and sight-seeing.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank SlyMos68
Cumbernauld
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Can I start off by saying that I don't especially like staying in hotels, especially big ones. I usually prefer the option of self catering, but good traditional self catering can be hard to find in bigger cities, and looked especially difficult to find in Dublin. We chose Number 31 as it looked to like the more bijoux/comfortable type of place that would be a happy compromise for us.

On arriving early before the 11am check-in, the owner Noel, swept us up to the breakfasting area, even although it wasn't part of the deal with a welcome that was warm and patently genuine. We felt at home immediately, and enjoyed an excellent well cooked breakfast that had unsurprisingly won 'Best In Ireland' a few years beforehand. I remember smiling to each other as Noel said proudly 'Look at that then', as he remarked proudly on the appealing platefuls we were presented with. The choice was fantastic and would suit all tastes. Nothing was too much trouble, and you knew from the start that this was going to be a pleasant and stress free stay. There was a decidedly international clientele staying at Number 31, which for me personally added to the atmosphere. Throughout the week Linda and the other staff members were unfailingly pleasant and helpful dealing with any request.

There is no need to repeat the details of the stylish 'Bondesque' sunken lounge area and the quality of the rooms and materials used throughout, as they have been amply detailed before. Maybe an 'honesty' bar wouldn't go amiss in the lounge area, as it was an incredibly cool and comfortable place to sit in front of the peat fire. There was a small inshot that looked as if it was a bar at one point, where Noel keeps all his tourist information maps and leaflets.

In the bedrooms the huge floating cloud lampshades were a talking point. The bathrooms were stylish and had an excellent rainshower. The plumbing is occasionally a bit creaky, but I suppose you'd expect that in an older building. Number 31 really is a very stylish and well thought out place, with two separate living areas, one in the main building and the other in a Georgian terraced building across the courtyard that subdivides them. You are given a key that enables you to leave the terraced building into Lower Fitzwilliam Street, so that you don't always need to traipse back through the main building. We stayed in the terraced block in Room 22 which was really nice and spacious with a chair and couch.

I have seen Number 31 described as both boutique hotel and stylish B&B, and to be honest I suppose it's a mixture of both. It would have been nice to have tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, but I wouldn't die in a ditch over that minor inconvenience, as bottled water is provided. There is Wi-Fi (BitBuzz) which is a bit tricky at the start but has the added convenience of being widely used elsewhere in the city.

Number 31 is located very centrally, and is within 10 mins walk of the main parts of town and handy for both the museum and shopping areas. The Pearse Street DART(Train) is also 10 minutes away, and was good for going out of town for the day to visit some of the seaside towns like the beautiful Dalkey (which Noel and the girls suggested, as we were going to go to Dun Laighoaire-Dunleary) which I'd highly recommend, though I never saw Bono who lives there along with many other celebrities. We had an excellent lunch in his local Finnegan's. There were some amazing pads in this place!

Overall, I found that Noel was one of the most knowledgable and hospitable hosts that you could ever come across, and found him a very interesting person to chat to. He has genuine warmth, which all his staff also have too. His helpful tips regarding Dublin were invaluable. So all the other good stuff you have read before in other reviews are true about the Number 31 crowd.

Noel had recommended Justin and Conor from dublinchauffeurs.com to ferry us back and forward in style from the airport and it was a great stress free way of getting back and forward in their executive cars at a reasonable price.

So, in summing up, I really wouldn't think about doing anything any differently if I returned to Dublin, and will be recommending this fantastic little place, not just to the other Trip Advisor readers but also to friends and family. Number 31 does initially appear quite pricey, but if you consider the beautiful breakfast you recieve to start you on your way then it's not really more expensive, and has an exclusive, intimate and comfortable feel to it, that most larger hotels will never have a hope of achieving.

Highly recommended and will hopefully return soon.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher up the better in the Georgian Terraced block.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Millreef
Omagh
Reviewed December 4, 2011

If you want excellent personal service, accommodation to rival any 5 star hotel, a breakfast fit for Kings, a city centre location from where all attractions are within walking distance, then look no further. I need say no more...book and you shall discover. Thanks again Noel for your hospitality.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank barrymccaul
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed overnight for a quick business trip. Its a lovely bolt-hole of a hotel. I've stayed in Dublin before, and the hotels on St Stephen's Green itself can be a bit manic. This is different. Its down a tiny close, and feels almost like a private home, whilst only being 3 minutes walk from the Green itself. The reception area is beautiful - like something from a James Bond mountain retreat - with a great sunken sitting area and a wonderful log fire. The room itself was comfortable and stylish. The owners were wonderfully welcoming, helping sort taxis and giving advice. The breakfast the next morning was superb - all home cooked, fresh ingredients. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that depending what you want it for, the more cozy feel, the lack of a bar say, can mean that it is more like a B&B where you tiptoe home, rather than feeling comfortable about coming back for drinks and a natter. A minor point though, and if you want supremely comfortable, friendly, relaxed and with a wonderful breakfast, then you should go here. I know I'll be back.

Room Tip: I'd rather not have the room off the breakfast area unless I was needing a very early start.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business