“I really enjoyed this small hotel”

Harvey's Guesthouse
Ranked #66 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“I really enjoyed this small hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I got a good weekday deal on this room online, so I maybe had lower expectations than some reviewers. It's a very charming Georgian building, and my room was bright and comfortable with a bathtub (an amenity I was VERY happy to have, having a cold). I don't understand other reviewers' complaints that it wasn't clean. Everything wasn't up to date or in perfect condition, but it was clean and comfortable. The innkeeper was kind and made sure I got my room in good time because she knew I was ill. However, I was told breakfast was not included for my discounted room, and I found out later that it actually was.

Room Tip: They posted a deal on hostelworld- you may want to look there for weekday specials.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ireland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this guest house for one night. It is located about 10 minutes (by walk) from O'Connell Street Upper and it is easy to find. The price we paid was a bit higher than we would normally pay but as almost everything had been booked out, we had no other choice. Also the price did not match its quality. We booked through booking.com where it stated that check-in is from 8am-10pm. We arrived shortly before 2pm and were told that our room was not ready as the cleaner arrives at 2pm. We were really disapointed by this as we wanted to rest after travelling. However, we were allowed to leave our bags in the room (not cleaned yet) and come back later which we did. The room itself was tired looking, the carpet dirty with lots of stains. The bed was comfortable. No tea/coffee making facilities. All in all it was ok for 1 night, but we would not come back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lia21

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had an amazing stay! I can see why it wouldn't be to all tastes - the house has a very 'lived in' feel. Sure, it could do with some paint here and there, but give me a house like this - full of character - rather than a generic concrete Hilton-type hotel which would be boring and twice as expensive.

The owner is warm and friendly and clearly loves the house and takes her time to make everyone welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: Basement room is very quiet and not dark, as you might imagine. Rooms to the back of the house are q...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed here on four occasions over the last six years and cannot fault the place or staff and family that own and run it. Sure, there are more luxurious, well equipped hotels in Dublin but they also happen to cost more than twice as much. Harvey's is clean, comfortable accommodating and tasteful. It is also only 15 mins walk in to town and convenient for buses to and from the airport. Some rooms are better or bigger than others but this is reflected in pricing and availability.

Unless I am working in Ballsbridge or other parts of South Dublin this is where i stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this guesthouse last weekend Although my room was on the 7th floor it was very clean and it had an on suite, The lady who owned it was so lovely and the breakfast was suburb. The atmosphere was fabulous here and I would return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

on our last vist to dublin we stayed at harveys gusthouse in dublin and founf it very good, it is a family guesthouse, were you are made very welcome clean good breakfast kind and very helpful people, i have stayed in a few bed and breakfasts in dublin i rate this as one of the best, harveys for value you can,t beat the area is quite and a 10 min bus ride to connell street, if you want a clean good breakfast, quite stay you beat this gusthouse and the prices are good i will be back as one famous actor said.

Room Tip: rooms clean, food good, great service and very helpful people
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank surelynotpaul
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Have stayed in dublin many times before....usually in Temple bar area or close by. However due to the massive influx of Americans staying the weekend for the American football match, I was pushed to find anywhere and ended up here. My heart sank when I arrived in this area and new immediately I wouldn't be walking back in the dark! The b&b looked very shabby from the outside but the entrance hall.was better. The host was very friendly and explained that there was a mix up with the rooms and instead of the twin room we'd booked we had a room each.......unfortunately they were in the attic of the townhouse - 5 flights up!! My room had a double bed and en-suite but no wardrobe (luckily my sons room opposite had one) It was noisy, facing the road and although grubby, it was comfortable. The bathroom was fine. The whole house needed a good 'fettle'. Breakfast was housed in the basement which smelled fusty. It had an array of different things but disappointingly only sausage and eggs that were warm. Again the hosts were very friendly and willing to provide more tea/orange etc.
I wouldn't choose to stay here again, but it met our needs for a brief stay.
Despite this, it was an amazing weekend thanks to all the wonderful, friendly Americans who appeared to have a fantastic time and rubbed off their enthusiasm on everyone!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family