Trinity Lodge
Westbury Hotel
$173
$164
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$144
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrinity collegegreat locationgrafton streetquiet streetgeorgian buildingyogurtsmall hoteltemple barroom was spaciouscentral locationthe ground floorirish breakfastwithin easy walking distancecooked breakfastluggagekellsiron
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I was on a business trip booked at the last minute (about a fortnight prior) so my choices were limited when it came to booking accommodation. This was compounded by the fact that this weekend One Direction were playing in Dublin and the prices I was quoted by other hotels, even chain ones were very high indeed. I was recommended Trinity Lodge and its location near to where I needed to be meant that although initially I thought the price too high, in comparison to others, and considering the timing, I took it. On this note I must thank the staff who I emailed to book the room. They replied promptly and courteously even though initially I turned down the quote I was given as it was beyond my organisation's usual limit.

All that burble aside I was looking forward to my stay here, particularly as it was so conveniently located in a pleasant part of the city centre. I received a warm welcome and did the security check (a new one on me - having to authorise a credit card although I had paid in advance using my company credit card, I would have liked some kind of receipt to assure me but I felt I could trust the hotel and all guests were asked the same thing).

I was given a large triple room (it was the only one they had left) and while initially I was concerned about it being in semi-basement, in fact there was plenty of light (and I wasn't in in the day anyway) and the sash windows opened so I could get fresh air. The other advantage was not being on street level so avoiding street noise mostly. Very rare in a city centre hotel!

The room was comfortable and clean. The ensuite was fine with shower, basin and toilet well-positioned. However the shower and sink water were powered by electric immersion rather than thermostatically which is what I would expect in any guesthouse/hotel. I expect this may have something to do with the historic building regulations in the city which causes issues with installing modern plumbing. If the guesthouse gets the chance this is something I would definitely recommend rectifying to give guests an even more luxurious stay.

I could not fault the room in terms of facilities although I noted there was no hairdryer. Other facilities like ironing board, trouser press, large wardrobe, tea and coffee making facilities all present, plus wifi was included in my fee although it was annoying to have to get a new login as my first one was only for a day and I stayed 3 nights. There was a safe too although I didn't need it. Aircon and heating unit did a great job even though it made a bit of a noise when the heat kicked in - but I didn't get disturbed by this.

The other thing I would recommend Trinity House upgrades is the bedding. This was the main thing that made this a very good rather than excellent stay. The thin blankets and less than soft sheets were ok but could be immeasurably improved with duvets and thick cotton sheets. My spare blanket (first night I was a bit cold) was in fact a counterpane, not a blanket.

The breakfast options were excellent although I must point out that what they call an English Muffin is in fact a crumpet! No big deal though - they cook great eggs which is very much appreciated when you are away from home and want a comforting start to the day. Fresh and continental options good too. I took the Irish breakfast one morning and enjoyed it because it wasn't too large (although I asked for no home fries, but other guests seemed to enjoy them!) The only thing I would recommend losing from breakfast is the spring onion and mixed pepper garnishes. They are not necessary.

Finally I must thank the hotel staff for being so accommodating to my requests and this is the difference between an ok stay and a memorable one. I had to leave at dawn this morning for the airport and they made me up a breakfast bag which they left in the porch of my room - much appreciated. They also booked a taxi on my behalf. I didn't have any issues with no 24hr reception, I just left the keys on their desk and left.

In summary, I enjoyed my stay, I loved the location on a quiet side street - so rare for city centres. I would certainly return here if I could find a better deal on room price - booking more in advance would probably help.

Room Tip: Don't shun the semi-basement rooms - they are probably quieter than the others (judging by comparison with my colleagues who stayed at the same time as me). You get enough light and air.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing our guesthouse and I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I would also like to say that the procedure to authorise the guest card upon arrival is a world wide common practice in all hotels regardless if the reservation is pre-paid or not and it is made in order to cover any additional expenses that the guest might have.
All rooms have hairdryers which was located in the chest of drawer in your room - the receptionists would have advised you in this regard should you have bought issue this to the front desk attention.
Regarding the internet issue, I do apologioze for the inconvenience as other guests also brought this issue to our attention, and I would like to say that it was rectified in the meantime.
In relation to the bedding, we are in process of changing all blankets with duvets, most of our rooms have duvets at the moment.
At your suggestion and other guests comments we have removed the spring onion and mixed pepper garnishes from the breakfasts.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying with us and our staff is delighted that you have enjoyed their hospitality.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The location is perfect, you can't take that away and I'll say this is the only good undeniable factor. The room is ok too, we got a two double-bed one.

Now it doesn't feel like a real hotel:
- No 24hr reception, even though they stayed until 10h30PM to welcome us.
- No elevator, my god, I've never thought I had to check for this kind of stuff on a 4 stars hotel, with two children (4 and 6) a Friday night after a big week, walking up the 5 floors with my wife carrying the little one sleeping, the big one on his own and me carrying the two luggage that were heavy, it was tough and the receptionist didn't help as she made sure to walk as fast as possible to the top...Not very nice from her.
- We had issue with the breakfast, the price changed between our reservation and the time we came, it was sorted out nicely, but still, come on it's not something you want to live when you're on a family weekend.
- And the final incident is the receptionist wouldn't believe us when we told we gave her back the two set of keys (in a 30 sec delay between the two sets). We had to argue 5 min, with her, me and my wife to finally end up another people of the staff realize the second "missing" key set was behind the counter under the nose of the first receptionist. What the hell is that? I don't understand. These things can happen, I'm not asking for perfect experience, but when you add all these little things, it's just a shame.
- The fact there's three different buildings between the reception, our room building and a third one for the breakfast still add this feeling it's not a real hotel.

One final thing that is positive is the staff of the breakfast, looks like they're not part of the hotel staff, I didn't understood everything, but the cook and the waitress were absolutely charming.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Loic B
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you have enjoyed the room and our location.
With regards to the other comments I would like to reply as follows:
-Trinity Lodge is not a hotel it is a Boutique Guesthouse and it is comprised of 3 Georgian properties.
-Unfortunately due to the city regulations we are not allowed to install a lift as we are required to preserve the original Georgian features of the properties. As you may have read other reviews about similar properies in Dublin, they are in the same situation as us. I do apologize about the fact that the receptionist on duty /other members of staff did not offer help with the luggage (they do in general) and that you felt that she was rushing you during the check-in. These comments were brought to her attention. Breakfast prices vary depending on the type of breakfast selected: cooked option, buffet option or both. We did try at the time to clarify the situation as quickly as we could and hopefully did not create an inconvenience for you.
-Regarding the key incident, I have checked and indeed the receptionist misplaced it under your reservation papers when trying to explain the breakfast situation, however it is no excuse for this situation to happen. Please accept her apologies again.
- The staff in the restaurant are part of Trinity Lodge staff. While I do not see why they do not seem to be I am glad that you have enjoyed their service and that you found them very pleasant.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcoming you again in the future.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Disappointing hotel, basement room, dark and had to crane my neck to see the sky Reception in another building across the road, hotel receptionists defensive and not very helpful , breakfast not included but luckily available nearby, at more reasonable rate Will not stay there again ,nor will my sister

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review.
The room that you have stayed is room 18, which is located on the lower ground floor and not basement and is is very well appointed.
I can not comment on your note about the receptionists as I do not know what are you reffering to (especially by using the word defensive), considering also that most of our guests are very pleased with their service.
Breakfast was not included due to the fact that you have selected the cheapest rate option without the breakfast. We do not believe that 10 Euro per person is expensive for a freshly cooked breakfast.
I hope the above clarifies any misunderstandings and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Now when I say loud, it's not the location, but the showers. We could hear a loud pumping noise everytime the neighboring room ran the shower. We're not sensitive, but this noise woke us up every single morning!!
Other than that, we found the hotel OK. Service was friendly and location was TOP. I would consider staying again, but only of they can guarantee a more quiet room.
We stayed over St. Patrick's Day weekend when basically the whole town is drunk, but no parties disdurbed the hotel. The lack of night clerks and/or security was not an issue for us, but I could see how this might be uncomfortable for other travelers.
Wake up calls could not be scheduled prior to the arrival of the front desk clerk at 7:30?? Really? No automated service??

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room without shower noise, If they can't offer, I'd go elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed our location and staff service. There is unfortunately some noise that can be heard between rooms due to the nature of the buildings but there are indeed some rooms that can be more quiet than others. Please request a quiet room next time you would like to stay with us and we would be happy to oblige.
Please accept my apologies regarding the lack of the wake-up call, offcourse there is an automated service. I have reminded all receptionists about this option after receiving your comments.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you again in the future.
Manager

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here over this weekend, our second time at the place, this time in room 4 on the first floor, after our previous stay in the basement room.
I must say I just do not get the undeserving negativity of a number of the reviews here.
This establishment is perfectly located, the lack of restaurant amply compensated by some great places within more minutes of the front door, and with the whole of Dublin easily accessible.
The place itself is clean and well looked after, the staff unfailingly polite and attentive.
The wonderful full length windows in our room gave a very impressive feel to the large room and although there was some noise late at night as the garbage was removed from the restaurant next door, it did not stop us from getting a good nights sleep.
We have stayed again, and doubtless we will again in the future ..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind words.
We do feel the same but everybody has an opinion. We hope that our responses give people a fair and accurate picture of the hotel. Nobody denies that there may be issues (within and outside our control) and we did acknowledge them all the time if it was the case as all hotels (I hope) try to improve. There are hotels that do not have the minimum requirements for a good night stay: hot water, a good bed etc, but they still have good or good enough reviews. We are not that lucky apparently.
Trinity Lodge has a very good location, the place is very well maintained, very clean, the staff is very pleasant. Yes we did not serve a hot breakfast in the restaurant as it was not under our management for almost 2 years but we have good news for you. From the 1st of March this year we will start to operate ourselves the restaurant and we will serve both continental and Full Irish breakfast (cooked to order). We hope that this will reestablish Trinity Lodge as one of the best places in Dublin to stay & have breakfast as we used to be famous for the quality of both (accommodation & breakfast).
Therefore we hope that next time you will be staying with us it will be an even more pleasant experience if you wish to try our breakfast.
I apologize for the noise from the rubbish collection. It was brought to the manager attention of the restaurant next door and hopefully will not happen again. Thank you for letting us know.
We hope to seeing you again soon.
Manager