“overnight in Dublin”

Celtic Lodge Guesthouse
Ranked #90 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Myself and husband stayed here for overnight stay we got it very cheap price we knew it was not going to be 5* .We arrived very early and went to see if they would let us leave bags in when we got there the room was ready so we went up only to find the smallest double room ever seen by both of us the en suite only can be described as tiny,but as we were only staying one night was not big deal as we would be only be in it short time but it was clean and front staff very nice .Breakfast was okay nice to get included in price of room.All in all the place is fine only for one night as room is too small for any lenght of time you would be clostrophobic..!!!!

Room Tip: rooms 209 210 211 doubles but really only singles
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dorfos
DCM1982, Guest Relations Manager at Celtic Lodge Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

From Anne Heaslip, Manager at The Celtic Lodge: Thank you for your review, we do listen to all the comments made here. We allocate rooms dependent on availability and requirement. Some of our rooms are small and perfect for a short stay; but, most of our guests are short stay. For longer stays we do have larger rooms.

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 5 nights around New Year's and had a nice time. The staff was kind and pleasant, the location couldn't have been better. Breakfast was lovely. I am fairly easy to please and was quite satisfied with the accomodations, although there are a few things that fellow travelers ought to be prepared for.

First, there was a strong odor of cigarettes in parts of the building. I don't know if smoking was permitted or not, I didn't ask. I do not smoke myself, but I didn't mind the smell, but i know many people who are sensitive to this, so heads-up.

Second, the area is quite noisy at night. I loved this, i enjoyed hearing the noise from the street and the music coming from the nearby pub. I can sleep through anything and thought that it added to the charm and experience. However if folks are looking for somewhere quiet they should know in advance that the ambient noise level is high.

Third, the bathroom was extremely tiny and cramped. I am a tall person and there was not enough space for my right knee when i sat on the toilet - i had to sit kinda sideways. The sink was also right in the way when i was getting in and out of the shower. I didn't mind bc the bathroom was private and en suite, but i had to leave the bathroom door open whenever i was in it because otherwise there was literally no room to move or turn around or get past the sink when the door was closed. If there had been a second person in the room with me, it would have been awkward. As it was, I thought it was funny and not a big deal.

Fourth, the mattresses I slept on was fairly uncomfortable and the pillows were so flat that I needed to stack 3 together. It wasn't a big deal for me, I can sleep anywhere and through anything. And i got used to the mattress after a few nights. But people who don't sleep easily should be prepared.

Fifth, all people at reception were kind and friendly and helpful - though not all were familiar with the area so sometimes were unable to answer questions or give directions. Maps are provided, though, and the location is so fantastic that it was very easy to get around and find my way back. The friendly and welcoming attitude of everyone more than made up for the couple of times I had to find something myself on a map :) they were all delightful.

I really did enjoy my stay - and had a great time. I may sound like I am complaining but that isn't my intent. It was a fun place in a fantastic location with a great atmosphere and lovely staff. Delicious breakfast. I would stay again the next time I am in the area and look forward to it. There are just these few things that travelers should be aware of to make sure the accommodation is the right fit for their needs!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank JenComiskey

From Anne Heaslip, manager at The Celtic Lodge: Thank you for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Had a lovely nights stay at celtic lodge, everyone was very friendly and great help with finding restaurants. Room was very clean, bit small but we only stayed one night so that wasn't an issue for us.
The only problem was opening the door and having to listen to other people around you attempt to open their doors too, have to turn the key and press the handle whilst pushing the door at the same.
Free airport transfer was great, saved us alot of money and was bang on time both on arrival and departure.
Breakfast was lovely, lots of food and offered extras if we wasnt full (unfortunately we was)
We arrived around 8am and our room was ready so we were able to check in straight away.
Location is in the city centre so only a short walk to all shops.
Also close to the tram for transport to the O2 arena (purpose of our stay)

Overall - Lovely experience and would definitely stay again

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

From Anne Heaslip, Manager at The Celtic Lodge: Thank you for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had a double room,not so clean and very noisy at night.
Moreover they have been shutting off the heating for all day we were not in..so when we came in the evening the room was very very cold.
Bathroom very unpleasant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank melx77

From Anne Heaslip, Manager at The Celtic Lodge: Thank you for your review; sorry if the accommodation did not reach your expectations.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This was in great location 5 mins from o'connell street 10 mins walk from temple bar. We arrived at 9 am and were told our room was available if we wanted to check in , which we did , at no extra charge. Staff lovely apart from miserable blonde haired girl in dining room, never cracked a smile all the time we were there . Breakfast was good but not great, just to say warm and had to go out and buy apple juice as only orange available, which we do not like. Only downside was trying to open door as you had to turn key as you pushed door with your shoulder, not good as people coming in late in the next rooms, woke everybody up trying to open their doors. Paddy wagon was free airport transfers which saves you 12 euro each return and drops you off, and picks you up outside door. Wanted to book for paddys weekend but prices more than doubled which is a shame. Overall nice stay .

• Stayed: November 2012

From Anne Heaslip, Manager at The Celtic Lodge: Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Very comfortable stay! Room layout - ok! Service 5*! breakfast ok! Location - just perfect! A good value for money!
Celtic lodge guesthouse is just the perfect place for a lovely quiet stay in the city centre without having to travel too much from and to the main attractions!
If I ever go to Dublin again, I will definitely stay there again!!! Is worth it!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

the hotel was well placed for the city centre, the room was tiny but clean,we stayed 4 nights and in that time they did not make the bed or clean the room at all, they did change the towels but not the cups we used for the tea-making. The breakfast was well cooked and good portions, on the day of checkout we had to vacate the room by 11am and at 11 on the dot they turned the water off! so you couldn't even flush the toilet. Service was disappointing but we would stay there again because of convenience

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
DCM1982, Guest Relations Manager at Celtic Lodge Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your review; I've investigated what you said and I just wanted to respond. Firstly we are pleased you liked the location and the standard of cleanliness and we would be delighted to welcome you back. We do service the rooms every day and bedding is changed on check out or every three days; however, if rooms are not vacant on a stay over before 2 pm; they cannot be serviced. As regards the day you checked out; we have no control over the supply of water to each room; you give us powers we simply don't have! You did not tell us when you stayed; but the fact you had no water after 11am tells us it was in September as the local authority were digging up the roads and they do control the water supply; it wasn't only your room that had no water; the whole building and area had no water that lunch time. So we really are blameless there. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify that.