“Great taste of Irish welcome”

Celtic Lodge Guesthouse
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Staying here was great, I stayed one week and was really nice meeting such a good n kind people working here. The receptionist workers are really kindly and friendly, always ready to help you if you have any question. The bedroom was small but fine, I know it's quite noise during the night, but the music that come from the near Pub (The Celt, you better visit this great Irish place) is really great, I didn't lose sleep for this. If I have to come back in Dublin, i will choose again The Celtic Lodge.

Room Tip: If you have some problem climbing stairs, you better ask for a first floor room couse there's no...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 5, 2012

When I arrived, I found that my reservation had not been put into the hotel's computer system and thus I had no room for the first of three nights (after first checking me in as a different guest with the same last name and then running my credit card about four times until they got the typos straightened out). I had to go to another guesthouse for the first night - this process took them about 45 minutes to figure out.

The next day I checked into the room after lugging my luggage up several flights of stairs (manager said she would help, but that she was the only one there and had to stay at the front desk). The room was dirty (there was a hair in the toothbrush holder), had a bathroom so small you literally could not bend over to undress, there was a bar next door that is very noisy at night (ear plugs needed), bad/no internet connectivity via wireless (unless you're in the dining room, which is locked most of the day) but the worse thing was the management. The manager kept saying it was the government's fault that they gave my room away (something to do with their system not being linked to the Ireland.com website, which is not the consumer's problem) and proceeded to tell me to "contact the government" to air my grievances about the situation. She even promised to pay for the taxi and the guesthouse, which she never did. She had some pretty unprofessional and other responses not backed with integrity, which I really didn't appreciate. The breakfast in the morning was fittingly gross.

Overall, my stay here was filled with empty promises from the management as well as poor accommodation. This is a small independent operation (the owner also owns the adjacent pub) and is not of adequate quality nor professionalism... Stay here at your own risk... that is, if they don't lose your reservation first!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kirk M
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We found that guest house very friendly and nice.Breakfast was tasty.Room was little small but ok.One minus was the night porter not really plessant but morning receptionis I think polish very very nice.For shure we back again Thank you for lovely stay

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Good: The location was good - about a 10 to 15 minute walk to Temple Bar and the rest of Dublin's sights. The reception workers were very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was quite nice. The price was good.

The Bad: The Inn was next to a bar that had very loud (but decent) music. it was also a busy street so there was quite a bit of road noise. You couldn't leave the windows open and there was no fan, so it got very stuffy in the room. No elevator.

The Ugly: There was no fan in the bathroom either. There was a LOT of mold on the ceiling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
DCM1982, Guest Relations Manager at Celtic Lodge Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you fro bringing to our attention the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Yes we were having issues with the extraction system from the bathroom in the room you were staying in; this has been resolved and the bathroom has been cleaned and is correctly ventilated. Also we do supply fans on request. But this is Ireland and it is unusual that any night in 10 years is too hot to sleep. The building is Georgian and air conditioning is neither practical or necessary 99% of the time. As regards noise at night...this is Dublin and we encourage you to join in with the craic!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just spent 5 nights at the Celtic Lodge Guesthouse...and it was Wonderful!!!...Perfect Location For Exploring Central Dublin!!!...A few minutes walk to O'Connell Street!!!...Easy Walk to most of the Central Dublin sites that you want to see & explore!...Staff was always friendly & courteous!...Rooms were clean & tidy!...The price was right for being so close to Central Dublin!...The breakfast served each morning was excellent!!!...Our room was located in back of hotel which made for a quiet night's sleep...Highly recommend for location & value!!!...Would DEFINITELY stay here again!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We picked this guesthouse for the location. The front desk personnel we dealt with were extremely helpful. The room is very basic, no real space for suitcases, and the shower door was ajar (athough the front desk immediately sent someone to fix it). We had read the reviews concerning the noise and although were able to deal with the pub noise, found the overhead and side noises a bit too personal...very flimsy walls unfortunately. The food at breakfast was adequate, with large amounts. The dining room staff were helpful but their appearance (disheveled hair and dirty clothing) was not appealing for food presentation.
You get what you pay for and we found better accommodation at another lodging later on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked for a week 15.08.12. Was allocated room on 3rd floor. My sister and I are pensioners and could not manage all the stairs. The friendly hotel reception staff very kindly moved us to the 1st floor the next morning. Thank you to the elderly man on reception who carried out bags to our room as we could not manage. We left at 4am and he again without being asked carried out bags down the stairs to the main door and helped us to our taxi to the airport which they arranged for us and we paid them direct 23.00 euros, very reasonable as taxis can overcharge you if you do not know your way around. Rooms were adequate for a short stay but could do with more than 4 hangers and 3 little bedside cabinets to put clothes in for 2 people. A hairdryer is provided though no safety deposit boxes. The cleaners left the window open every day, which is not very safe as access to the room was available via the fire escape although the windows did not open fully. Beds were very comfortable and ample pillows. Reception have control over central heating in your room but just ask, no problem. We never needed it though. The restaurant is absolutely excellent, ate there 4 nights 3 course meal with lots to chose from 25.00 euro per person very popular so pop in and book to guarantee your table. Service, food and staff excellent expecially Shannon who made our holiday by always remembering what our drinks would be and making us feel so welcome and cared for even though he was always busy. He is an asset to the business and I hope we see him again. The Celt Bar was all I hoped it would be a typical irish bar with local entertainment every night where even the locals were friendly and welcoming. The menu here was excellent and you can chose from either the restaurant or the bar menu. For us 2nd class citizens (SMOKERS) there is an outside seating area out the back of the bar (with heating) or outside the front of the restaurant. Very welcoming after all the shopping. Again the staff were excellent. I only have two points which I would like to mention. There is no indoor lounge or seating area downstairs which I would expect as norm in any hotel, the internet wi-fi only available on lst floor was very spasmodic. I did find staying at this hotel rather expensive even though a full irish breakfast was included. My last duty would be to say that I have never met such friendly, helpful, cheerful and genuinely caring people as the staff who work at this establishment that includes the cleaners and the breakfast room staff nothing is any trouble for them. For me the best part of this hotel were them as they have made a lasting impression on me. Well done to you all and thank you. Our stay in Dublin will always be remembered.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back do hear the music from the bar downstairs, but it usually finished between 11p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family