“Dublin Weekend Visit”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #57 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Castle Hotel was an enjoyable location for a weekend in Dublin. Check in was very quick, the room, was average size for a single and had everything I needed for my stay. There was a nice TV in the room but only had 6 channels which in this digital age was surprising. The only thing I would say against the room was that the guest in the room above me seemed to like getting up very early and walking all around the room. The creaking floorboards were annoying and did disturb my sleep. Other than that the room was very quiet and there was no late late noise to be heard at all. The hotel is just north of the top end of O'Connell Street and there was a 15 minute walk to reach the river Liffey. However, all the attractions of the Northside were only 10 minutes away. Croke Park is also only 15 minutes away. Breakfasts in the hotel were a bit hectic and I had the usual problem when travelling alone of finding my table occupied when returning from the buffet. The food was fine and set me up for the rest of the day.
Nice bar in the hotel with live music at the weekends. Surprisingly, the price of a pint of Guinness was the cheapest I paid all weekend.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Marleen_Hermann, Guest Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Ally,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review your recent stay at the Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much as well as the location. I was disappointed to read that you have been disturbed during your sleep. I do apologize for that. The Castle Hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Dublin found 1809. It is made out of 9 Georgian buildings and we are trying to keep the old charm and design and therefore some of the floors might be a bit creaky. When you are staying with us again in future please ask for a room on the top floor in order to avoid this problem. Moreover I am sorry to read that you have not made a good experience during breakfast. Our breakfast staff members are trying their very best to serve everyone in time and this might come across a bit hectic. On the other hand I am delighted you enjoyed the food and the entertainment in our restaurant. We would love to welcome you back at the Castle Hotel within the near future.

With kind regards

There are newer reviews for Castle Hotel

994 - 1,000 of 1,998 reviews

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I wouldn't recommend this for any groups going over on a party weekend to Dublin. We were there last weekend and it was marred on the last day, when we awoke at 8.30am with a guy in the room stealing a purse. I highly suspect it was a member of staff who had seen us all coming home intoxicated at 4.00am, and thinking we would all have been sound asleep. There was no forced entry and they managed to avoid the CCTVs, which are only in the main hallways. I'm just glad we awoke when we did or there would probably have been two purses gone, and since there was no forced entry, we would have assumed they had been stolen when we were out the night before. It's unfortunate because, until this happened, I would have given them a 5 rating all around. The hotel was lovely, clean, comfortable; breakfast was great; they have a nice restaurant and live entertainment in the basement; and the day staff were all wonderful and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't leave any valuables in your room and sleep with one eye open.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank LalaBermuda
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the Castle Hotel (April 21-23, 2014). We are a family of four and stayed in room 217, which had 4 beds. The room was clean and lots of room for storing our stuff. While this is not the quality of a Hilton or Marriott, most of the chains don't have the charm of the Castle. If you consider charm uneven floors causing a bed to tilt and a window that would not open properly, you will appreciate the Castle.

Considering the cost of eating in Dublin, a full breakfast included in the room charge was an excellent benefit. The breakfast staff was very attentive and the food was very good.

From a location perspective, the hotel is nearby everything you need. My son and I walked to the Guinness factory, which was a hike, about 45 minutes. Buses are very close if you prefer public transportation.

The staff were very friendly and helped with everything from booking a tour to assisting us try to retrieve something we left in a taxi.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Marleen_Hermann, Customer relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Mr Davey,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review your recent stay at the Castle Hotel. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Castle Hotel and that our staff members have been looked after you so well. Moreover I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel so much. Unfortunately the Castle Hotel as its name says is not a ‘Castle’ but it is the oldest hotel in Dublin found in 1802. To gather more information please have a look under the history section on our web-page. We would love to welcome you back at the Castle Hotel within near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Have never been to Dublin before and did not know what to expect for a Dubliner hotel. Arrived at noon and got friendly welcome at the reception. We had to wait a couple of hours for our room to be ready. It didn't harm since there was a nice Vault bar at the basement where we could have "one for the road" in spite of Good Friday (pubs do not serve alcoholic beverages then).

Our room was a spacious, "romantic" (said my girlfriend), a bit aged room. There was terrible draught thru old windows and the room was a bit cool. A couple of central heating radiators were cold and after consulting the receptionist they promised to switch heat on.

After a couple of hours visit downtown we returned and found out that the room was still cold.
I didn't want to go to shower nor sleep in cool room so I asked my fiancé in turn go and ask for some heat.
We were offered another room which was round the corner in same building. This new room was a bit smaller, but warm. So warm that I had to screw down the radiator valve.
Windows were also new with very good insulation for heat and noise. Everything was again spotless clean and cosy.

Next morning we went to breakfast, which was very good ranging from traditional Irish (British) breakfast to continental one. Bacon, eggs, beans, black/white pudding, sausages, different types of cereals, weetabix, marmalade etc.
Coffee/tea was served to table and we were asked what we would like to have, full breakfast or something else. Very good service. I bet if I wanted porridge they would have cooked it for me.

Nothing bad to say about the the hotel. Location was near to all attractions, bus routes and not far (20 eur by taxi) from the airport. Also hop on/off double decker stop was just a few hundred meters away down O'Connell Street.

Being vulgar: why there are so many bathrooms without a bidé or why the hand shower hose is too short to reach the toilet bowl itself? Ladies would like this small polite gesture for sure. Would also save precious water on planet Earth.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kai N
Marleen_Hermann, Customer, Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Kai,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this great review about the Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much as well as the location of our hotel. I am sure the Castle Hotel team will be delighted to read the great feedback about the service been offered by them to you. On the other hand I am sorry to read that there has been an issue with the radiator in your first room. I do apologize that this has not been sorted straight away but I am glad that a solution has been found at the end and you were happy. We are looking forward to your next stay at the Castle Hotel within in the next future.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in April 2014. A nice friendly hotel in a decent location. The breakfast was excellent both mornings with a quick and friendly service. Room had a bath. It was quiet at night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Marleen_Hermann, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for writing this wonderful review about the Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the breakfast as well as the service which our hotel provides. We would love to welcome you back at the Castle Hotel within the near future.

With kind regards

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in April. We arrived at the hotel early however we couldn't check in until check-in time at 2:30pm, which was fine. The room size was about average as far as European rooms go. Everything was very clean. The only odd thing was that you had to call the front desk to turn on/off your heat in the room. It wasn't a big deal but it was the first time I had seen this. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again. Walk down O'Connell Street and go to Murray's for great food and music!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Jed,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review the Castle Hotel. I am delighted that you have had such a good stay. Moreover I am happy to read that you enjoyed the cleanness of the hotel rooms. Unfortunately the heating system in our hotel is a central heating system. We have the heating switched on for a certain time each day, unluckily there is no other choice but to call the reception in order to switch it on when it has been switched off, but as you said it wasn’t a big deal for you. We are looking forward to your next stay at the Castle Hotel.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel is ideal for someone new to Dublin or a well seasoned traveller. It is in the heart of the city and it is very easy to walk to many of the attractions. The room was big and clean and had all the amenities you would need. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was delicious (although slightly expensive). I would 100% book another night at this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for taking you time to write this excellent review about the Castle Hotel. I really enjoyed reading it and I am happy that our staff members have been looked after you so well and that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel. I will definitely pass on this wonderful feedback to our staff member and I am sure they will be delighted as well. For your next stay at the Castle Hotel, please contact us direct under info@castle-hotel.ie and we will give you the best rate we have available. We are looking forward to it.