“Good Location - Great Price!”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #57 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Lansing, Michigan
“Good Location - Great Price!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is in a good location, just at the top of O'Connell street which is basically the gateway to most of the attractions in Dublin. The hotel is very old, but kept up, our room was very clean. Our only complaint was the water pressure was low in the shower. Breakfast was great, but the best attribute to the Castle Hotel is the staff. Gillian was extremely helpful. She went above and beyond to help us book the tours we wanted during our stay. Taxis were always right on time and getting around Dublin was made easy. Castle Hotel was great for us!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here from March 2-March 14. The place really is a maze! I had to laugh at myself as I made my way to my room: loads of steps, bumpy floor boards, long hallways mixed with 2 heavy suitcases was probably a good sight to see! I didn't mind any of that, though, I think it adds to the charm of the hotel. The room was very nice and cozy. I was expecting a single room with a twin bed, but the room had a full size bed instead! The bathroom was basic (but who really needs a fancy bathroom??) and the heated shower rack was a nice added touch, especially after walking around in the cold all day!! I always wrapped up in a towel to warm up! The shower is very small and water always seemed to get on the floor of the bathroom. There was a good-sized wardrobe with some provided clothes hangers for all of your belongings. I always had to keep my window open because the air within the room tended to get really thick after having it closed for awhile. The walls between the rooms are VERY thin and the doors are loud. I had to make sure I closed the door quietly in the morning to not disturb everyone around me. A couple was staying next to my room and I could clearly make out all of their conversation. My room faced the back side of the hotel, which was nice because I wasn't disturbed by street noises. The only downfall of this is when people took a smoke break outside, the smell of the smoke would travel up and into my room. The cleaning staff was very thorough and always made the bed, took the trash and straightened up the bathroom. A couple of times they would take the handsoap I was using and throw it away, so I'd have to open up a new package, it seemed like a waste to throw out perfectly good soap. The complimentary breakfast in the vaults was pretty good. I never tried the full Irish breakfast, it was too much food for me personally. I ate eggs, bacon and toast, which were all very good. If you have to be up early and want breakfast before 7:30am, you have to tell the reception so that someone can set up the food for you. It's not a full breakfast, just the basics like toast, cereal, fruit, cold meats, and cheese. On two occasions during breakfast (before the main 7:30am breakfast), the dishes were dirty and had food residue on them. I would just switch out the plates for cleaner ones. I ate at the restaurant downstairs a few nights, I always got the chicken with mushrooms & onions with chips...very simple, but it was delicious and I find myself craving it at home now! The prices seem to be just right for a hotel. Instead of ordering a drink, take the hotel up on their offer of a free Irish coffee with purchase of a meal! You'll find the offer in their menu. The location of the hotel could not have been more perfect. I didn't have a car, so I had to walk everywhere. It's a 2 minute walk to O'Connell Street, tons of shopping, various options for food, and about 10-15 minutes from the Temple Bar area. I met the owner of the hotel a day before I left, such a nice man and I could tell he truly cared about his visitors and his hotel. Lovely hotel and I would definitely stay again! Thank you!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back and higher up from the street. Less noise pollution from the street!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank chromaticbirds
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

On the tail end of our recent trip we stayed at the Castle Hotel to be close to the sights and it was a nice hotel. When checking in we met the charming owner and the staff was very kind and helpful. They let us know about the live music that evening and we got to our room, settle in and headed to the restaurant the Vault downstairs. Very charming, lots of history and quirky features to this place. We had some nice small plates and pints while watching the musicians which was brilliant. The weekend and hotel were busy for the 6 nations rugby match yet the service was very attentive. Our room was just right for us and while a little noisy with sold out nights, very comfortable and roomy with a lovely ensuite bathroom. The breakfast was great and all suggestions from the front desk were spot on for the sights in the city or restaurants down the street. We enjoyed all the common spaces in the hotel and more. Thank you for the lovely stay!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights with my partner and i have to say what a great hotel. This is my third time to Ireland and by far the best experience i have had largely due to Michael the bar man who really added to our experience he was really fantastic. Our room was beautiful and really enjoyed our stay. Defiantly Come again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I think this hotel was fun. When we first got there, we thought it was hard to get around because it's little halls and doors every where, but after we got the hang of where our room was and explored the hotel a little, my friends and I enjoyed it. the hotel is decorated pretty well. It has a lot of rooms. It was a bigger hotel chain than I expected. The location was right off O'connell street but at the end of the street away from Temple Bar and the areas we planned to go. I don't think it was a bad walk to and from. We could stop and shop on the way to and from. The floors were old and creeky. The window in the room didn't seal well so there was a breeze. There were 3 of us in a room with basically 4 bed. 2 twins seperately and then 2 more pushed together to make a larger bed. The heat in the room worked well so that was nice. It had 2 mirrors (one full length) a small en suite bathroom, a small tv, black out shades, a closet and chairs. We had breakfast in the morning which was nice. They had a small restaurant and bar downstairs as well. I think it was called the vault. On St Patty's they had live Irish music. It has a nice atmosphere and was relaxing. The food was really good. It was definitely a home cook feel vs the fast food that you find in a lot of areas and hotels. I would defnitely reccommend this hotel if you're willing to do some walking.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was great. The staff was friendly and informative, the rooms and public spaces were clean and comfortable, and it was an easy walk to the Temple Bar area, Dublin Castle, Guinness Storehouse, Grafton St., St. Stephen's Green, etc. My only advice is to ask for a room not overlooking the street as it was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a hallway and not overlooking the street.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed three nights for St Paddy's day with a couple of friends. It was on the second floor facing the church. There was 2 single beds and a king (2 single beds put together) Everything was nice and comfortable in the room. Bathroom kinda small but its ok. The windows did not have a seal, so you could feel the a little breeze, but it wasnt bad, I kinda liked it, kept the temperature balanced in the room. I did feel people moving on the room above us, but not that bad. The hotel is like a maze, there are stairs and hallways everywhere, it was interesting. The staff were all nice and so was the restaurant at the bottom of the hotel which had live music and nice atmosphere.
The location is ok, about 20 mins walking to temple bar area, it does get tiring after a while having to walk everyday.