“Rooms vary greatly”

Ranked #59 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Melbourne
“Rooms vary greatly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our first night was on the third floor with a creaking and sagging floor and noise from above, the passage and adjacent rooms.
We considered leaving but were readily offered an upgrade for the second night.
What a difference! We had to negotiate a warren of corridors, but the room on the fourth (top) floor had a solid floor and soundproof walls.
Apart from the noise on our first night, the hotel was great. Clean rooms, friendly staff and a great breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

That was the prime reason I chose the Castle as my first accommodation in Dublin. That and the fact that reasonably priced hotels were a scarcity when I was trying to find one. My trip to Ireland was a last-minute vacation between jobs and about two weeks prior to my arrival. Rifling through TripAdvisor didn't yield many attractive options, and I knew from the reviews of the Castle that it would be on the older side. But I decided to give it a try, and I have to say it was decent for what it was - an old Georgian-style hotel just two blocks from the heart of O'Connell Street, Dublin's main thoroughfare.

My standard/single bed room was small but clean (see photo) with a large window that couldn't be completely closed. Given the chill that time of year, I spent an inordinate amount of time under the extra woolen blankets I requested to keep warm. The only awkward moment came when a loud woman came barging in to ask about turning over the bed when it was clear I was taking an afternoon nap. She saw me in my skivvies and alerted me that she wasn't looking at my privates. Good to know. On the upside, they accommodated my early-morning arrival by accepting my suitcase into a parlor room where all the other waiting luggage was.

Breakfast was somewhat lacking mostly due to the haphazard service. Although I wasn't necessarily looking for a hot Irish breakfast, I wasn't even aware that was an option for me until the second day after I finished my toast and coffee. Good to know. The free WiFi did work just fine though, and the service at the front desk was reasonably good if a bit standoffish. But it was all about location, location, location, and it was nice to be able to walk to the city center without thinking about which bus line to take. Especially convenient was being close to the first stop of one of the local hop-on, hop-off buses, a blessing when I was suffering from a severe case of jet lag. For two nights, I paid € 160, a relative bargain near the center of Dublin.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ed_Uyeshima
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel, and found it an excellent base to explore the city from. My room was of a good size, very clean and well kept. The hotel is created from a row of Georgian house, knock though to create one building, its a bit of a maze of corridors and stair cases but the buildings retain a lot of their Georgian charms internally, if you don't like stairs and their are lots of them, not to panic they have lifts.

Full Irish breakfast each morning was always well cooked but on the small size but enough nevertheless to start the day with.

Would stay her again should I return to Dublin which I intend to do;

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel was awesome! If i could say one thing about these guys it was their service was impeccable! We were coming and going quite a lot and even though we left at 5:30am some days, they still had a breakfast available for us and couldn’t help us enough. The owner/manager of the hotel was a hoot! Such a cheerful and welcoming man! The rooms were lovely too! After a busy day out travelling, it was nice to come back to such a nice hot shower and a comfy bed. Definitely would recommend this place to others and go back again if I had the chance!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived well before our check in time of 2.30pm with the intention of leaving our cases so we could go sight-seeing. Receptionist was very obliging and found a family room which was ready and checked us in which was about 9.30am. Brilliant start. Room was spacious and very clean. Tea and coffee provided which was replenished daily, as was bedding and towels. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast very nice and plentiful. Location excellent short walk to O'Connell Street and city centre facilities. Would fully recommend and will certainly use again.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor which was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Extremely nice place to stay- people are friendly and helpful. Could leave car parked after checkout while you walked the city of dublin( which saves on car park prices) breakfast was delicious. The great wifi password ever, lol

• Stayed October 2012
eveee, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Amazing Ireland

Thank you so much for your very kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found all the staff and facilities to your satisfaction and I am glad we could help with your car. Thanks for the thumbs up for the complimentary WiFi password and of course I have to return the compliment by saying yours is the best username ever !!! ha ha :)

Hope to see you again in the future !

Kindest Regards

Yvonne O'Keeffe
yeovil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Lovely hotel, lovely breakfasts, lovely rooms, lovely staff.
Staff are really friendly and very very helpful and accommodating. Any problems (there were a couple of initial niggles!), and they were dealt with pretty much immediately. They moved us to another, nicer room, which suited us better, they gave us an extra electric heater, to make the room warmer. Nothing was too much trouble. Customer satisfaction definatley came first at this hotel!.
It's ideally situated, being on the north side of the Liffie, and a 10 minute walk to O'Connell Street, and the river. Nice pubs and eateries nearby, without even needing to go to Temple Bar!.
Have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others, and would happily stay again.

Room Tip: If you don't like traffic noise at night, don't pick a room overlooking the road!!. Some ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends