“fawlty towers!!”

Ranked #139 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“fawlty towers!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

my friends and I have just returned from staying at this 'hotel' last night in Dublin. six
of us in total. I had made the booking through a third party website. had an experience on the phone at start of week with receptionist as I tried to amend the booking and on the fourth call got it sorted out! arrived yesterday at 2pm waited a while at reception which is upstairs but to be fair the guy on reception I think called feroz welcomed us and check in was effortless and quick. the point we all liked was that he advised breakfast was served to 10am in the dining room but if we wanted it later no worries we could have it in the bar downstairs any time we wanted! music to our ears as we up for a concert and a night out so a sleep in was great. had read the reviews about hotel the night before our stay, I agree it's dated, no lift and stairs and doors appear to get narrower the higher you climb..Alice in wonderland rang bells!! had a problem getting key to work but Feroz sorted it promptly. rooms are very very small and bathroom even smaller. it's very dated but our bed sheets/pillows clean and tidy. we had a room over looking the Liffey which was nice. we had to leave the window open however due to heat, radiators were roasting all the time and knobs are broke off so cant turn it down, their heating bill must be sky high! however we had a few drinks in our room as you do on a girly night away and the receptionist was more than good giving us glasses and buckets of ice! we decided to have food down in the lannigans bar part of 'hotel' as it tickled everyone's fancy and the staff didn't disappoint, super nice and efficient! bar food was very tasty and inexpensive. I had the club sandwich with fries @ €6.95 it was great value and plenty of it, too much infact! we returned to the bar that night and it was great Craic and staff again very very welcoming!
this morning had a bit of a hiccup with the shower pole falling and hitting me on the head when I tried to pull the curtain back, I could not fix but think to be honest it was already broke!! reported to reception who said not to worry it would be sorted. breakfast in the bar was the best Irish breakfast I've had, and I'm well travelled and stayed in various hotels in ireland and all over the world, lannigans is a true Irish pub with such character you could sit all day and soak in the atmosphere :)
overall hotel was grand for our requirements but not up to much however we paid €75 for a twin room so we got what we paid for. bit of a revamp this place could be a wee jewel in the crown as location is fab right off o'connell street!
had this booked for another concert in may but I've cancelled - staying with a child and wouldn't subject them to this place, bearable for adults only.
won't return but overall it's not great but for the money we didn't expect much more! ps Guardi (irish police) was behind reception later in day yesterday checking CCTV, possible theft? not sure, so be careful folks!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank cha_con2810

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Rooms very basic, not always the cleanest but they are cheap and central. The staff are a bit aloof but the friendliness of the staff in the pub downstairs more than compensates! Their breakfasts (the breakfast provided by the hotel is very average) have saved me and kept me going on many occasions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sleepdrink
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

First of all let me say, I chose to go to this room because it was pretty cheap (€40 for the night). So I wasn't expecting The Ritz or anything close, however this place was BAD. The bathroom horrible smell like something was wrong with the plumbing. I then went to make a cup of tea only to discover that the long life (UHT) milk had expired! How long do you need to leave long life milk for it to rot?
The next problem was the radiator...it work perfectly, the only problem was I couldn't turn it down as the knobs had been removed! Within an few hours my room turned into a sauna. I had to leave the window open all night in order to maintain a somewhat comfortable temperature (bare in mind I stayed here in the middle of January so it was freezing outside).

This hotel is poor...very poor, even for €40 a night! It's more like a hostel than hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Philipstown

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Clevedon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel a year ago to watch Take That...we arrived late and within seconds had lost our other halves to the bar and pulling their own pint of guiness! They made us feel very welcome. We were on the top floor and yes there was no lift but it wasn't that bad. Great location and we are looking to go back this year.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

On check in our reservation was not on their system. However the man behind the desk was lovely he gave us a room straight away. However we got a room on fourth floor! No lift just a very narrow staircase. The bedroom was really very small and extremely hot all the time. There was no way in turning off the heating. The room had no ceiling light only small lights on wall over bed which were very dull. There was no residence bar which I found to be very odd! The whole experience was very poor. I would not go back or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is an absolute disgrace & should be closed down. Expensive item was stolen from the room. I was devastated. but the biggest shock was at how lightly theft was taken by this Dublin Hotel. Pity I didn't read the previous post here before booking, I would have taken heed. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank SolusIreland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Let's just say you get what you pay for...the rooms were so small and smelly. NO LIFT!!! Shady doors that won't lock and they try to make you pay multiple times. The bar downstairs was amazing!!! That made it all worth while. The experience was worth it...stories for life ;-)

• Stayed October 2012