“Great value & very comfortable”
Review of Kilronan House

Kilronan House
Ranked #41 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This was my first visit to Kilronan House and my husbands second.  I was very impressed with the service and the room.  Great value for money.  The house is an old villa with a very homely and traditional feel to it.  Our room, nicely decorated, spacious and warm - superb for the price.  Breakfast was included and was a nice finishing touch to our stay.  We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Global_Gatherer

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was looking for something in the City Centre on the Southside, and was horrified by the prices of Dublin accomodation. Kilronan house is 10 minutes walk (up Harcourt Str.) from St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre and the top of Grafton Str. Just 20m from the door there is a Starbucks and another coffee shop. Just 5-10 minutes up the road the 16 bus takes you directly to and from the airport for just a few Euro (although it does take much much longer than the Airport Express from Westmoreland Str.) In my opinion the best location in Dublin: just by the City Centre but not right in the noise and crowds of Temple Bar.

The rooms do not really have much room around the bed, but that's because the beds are huge. Very comfortable, big comfy pillows, it's as if the bed and bedding just swallows you up and you never want to get up. We had a room with en-suite bathroom which was clean and fine.
Slept very well, and didn't hear too much noise from other guest or the street.

We stayed 4 nights in a room on the 2nd floor which was perfect, and another night on the way back just near the kitchen on the ground floor. It was fine for us, because we got up really early before the kitchen was up and running for breakfast, to catch our flight. But if you are not planning to get up at 7am this room is probably somewhat noisy in the mornings.

Breakfast is very good and plentiful, although not very late (only made it that day we left for the airport). Ends at 10am on weekends.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, bringing our luggage up 2 flights of stairs, offering tea / coffee, helping tourists with ideas of things to do in Dublin etc.

I think the place could do with a little renovation, or a lick of paint, but it is very good accomodation and excellent value compared to other places in Dublin. Very much recommend this guesthouse.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are not necessarily noisy, so not a problem. Avoid room next to the kitchen, but...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie0276
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is on a nice tree lined street. I arrived at 10 am and was checked in right away. My room was ready and the clerk took my suitcase up 5 flights of stairs (no elevator). I came back down and was offered breakfast and tea from the menu, even though it was after their serving time. The good sized room room had a king bed with nice linens and an ensuite bathroom, which, while a little small, was fine. The room was clean and comfortable, and was supplied with coffee, tea and cookies. Breakfast was delicious and the service was warm, friendly and excellent. The only (slight) negatives were no elevator (we were on the top floor), nowhere to unpack (the armoire was filled with linens) and the street noise. However, I'm a light sleeper but was able to sleep soundly. The guest house is south os St Stephens Green, so be prepared to walk a bit to get to the tourist areas. I would definately stay at Kilronan House again the next time I visit Dublin.

Room Tip: Expect a bit of road noise with rooms facing the street. There is no elevator, so if you can't...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank t46821
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in Kilronan in Oct for 2 nights, very nice to stay there, I liked absolutelly old stylish room (very clean) and super breakfast- pancakes and bagel special offer was amasing.
I got also free parking beside the hotel.
Few words about the staff: very positive and polite, got all informations I needed.
Will be back soon, thank million!!!

Room Tip: 1 floor.very quit
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank roman g
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was the start of our delayed Honeymoon, and I had already warned my Bride that "4 stars" in an European hotel was not the same as a "4 star" in the USA. It turns out that this was a classic understatement. We arrived around 9:00am. Rooms weren't available until 2:00pm, which is fairly typical, and luggage storage was very difficult, as there is simply no space available. Before embarking out on the town, we asked 2 basic questions regarding changing currency and credit card usage. The responses, as it turned out, couldn't have been further from reality.

We came back early from our exploratory walk, and were informed that a room had just come available. Problem? It was on the 3rd and highest floor, with no elevator and stairs scarcely wide enough to climb and carry a suitcase at one's side. The gentleman at the front desk did assist us, however. When we got into the room I was dumbfounded. The width of the room was approximately 9 feet. You could have swung a "dead cat", but only if you wanted to pulverize a deceased kitty's head. The double bed was pushed all the way into one corner of the room so you could access the bed from one side or the bottom of the bed. I figured I would make the best of it and so I tried out the comfort of the bed. It was hard, lumpy, and generally uncomfortable. The pillows had also seen their better days. I was exhausted and had we asked for another room it would have been a wait of another hour or 2, so we decided to stay put. There was a little TV (the old cathode ray tube style) mounted on the wall, but it didn't work. It did, however, have VCR capability, but I didn't pack any tapes for our Journey. But wait - there's more.

The floors were "spongy" as though there was dry-rot under the carpet. The carpet was woefully tired and there was visible dirt along the walls and in the corners of the stairs. There was also one little wooden chair to sit on, but when my Bride sat on it, it rocked (no, it wasn't a rocking chair) and nearly collapsed. Sure, she's gained a pound or 2 since the wedding, but at her current 125 pounds, she's scarcely what one might call "beefy". Another odd thing was that our bathroom was an inexpensive add-on (not unusual for guesthouses), but it was accessed by walking up a 5-step flight of stairs. Huh?

When we decided that we had enjoyed our room as much as we could, we decided to go out on the town. The only thing in our way was the door. The door knob was decorative and served no real function. I tried the skeleton key, but I was afraid that I was going to break off the key from the pressure I was putting on it. I fiddled with the deadbolt, but I couldn't get it to release. My wife tried as well with the same results. Finally, my Bride called the front desk to come up and let us out, which they did. The nuances of opening this door were demontrated to us so we could have unassisted access to leave the room. - And the hits just keep on comin'.

In all fairness, the manager (owner?) and her staff were very nice and the breakfast was absolutely first-rate. However, I'm judging the comfort and ambiance of the room. We paid the full $ 136.00 just as we would have in any of the other, better rooms. The room was not worth it at all. What's really disappointing is that when I set up the reservation, I specifically mentioned I was on my delayed Honeymoon. I hoped that they were going to try and make it nice.

I really take no pleasure in ranking an establishment this low. I have no desire to hurt anyone's business. Yet I can't believe what rave reviews others have written. Clearly, they didn't stay in the closet we were given. And while I've tried to make light of the situation, it clearly was not funny at the time. Sorry.

Room Tip: If you book there, insist on a room on the first 2 floors.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TJS171
Kilronan_Manager, General Manager at Kilronan House, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort you endured during your stay and also for the delay in answering back to your review.

I would first of all like to thank you for understanding that due to checkout time being at 11am we can only guarantee all our rooms to be ready from 2pm. September being one of our busiest time of the year, in the event of a very early arrival, it is recommended to book the night prior to your arrival to avoid any disappointment.

I do understand your frustration, regarding the fact that the room allocated to you wasn’t up to standard and that the manager on duty at the time should have paid more attention to the fact that you were on your Honeymoon.

Within the past 12 months, we have renovated over a third of our bedrooms and our common areas (Dining Room, Lobby and Reception Area), changed the carpets and bedding in every bedroom. Those renovations are already visible on our website.
We are presently renovating the rest of our bedrooms including changing VCR TVs to brand new flat screen TVs and hope to finish the renovations by the beginning of summer 2014.

On the other hand I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the helpfulness of our staff and our top quality breakfast.

I welcome further dialogue should you care to contact me directly via telephone or email.

And hope you come back and see the look of our new rooms after the renovation. I will make sure that you are able to swing a “dead cat” without pulverizing its head.

Best Regards,

Seán Finnegan

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My first trip to Dublin was made so pleasant by a friendly staff willing to accommodate at any level. My room shared by a friend had 2 double beds, great beddings for warmth. Individual attention for advice on excursions. After a along day, there was coffee, tea, hot chocolate plus sweets before retiring. Breakfast was had a good variety and served promptly. Highly recommended. TL

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tricia L
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here at end of holiday. Is is in a fab location. From the moment we arrived until we left we were made very welcome. Everyday Shinade at the front desk asked about our day and offered to make us a hot drink. Just what we needed with it being so cold outside.She also checked us in for our flight. Our room was comfortable and the breakfast is amazing,from fresh fruit to smoked salmon. Would highly recommend Kilronan House

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs request a room on the lower floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends