“friendly and warm atmosphere”
Review of Kilronan House

Kilronan House
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Kiev, Ukraine
“friendly and warm atmosphere”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in Kilronan in Oct for 2 nights, very nice to stay there, I liked absolutelly old stylish room (very clean) and super breakfast- pancakes and bagel special offer was amasing.
I got also free parking beside the hotel.
Few words about the staff: very positive and polite, got all informations I needed.
Will be back soon, thank million!!!

Room Tip: 1 floor.very quit
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank roman g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was the start of our delayed Honeymoon, and I had already warned my Bride that "4 stars" in an European hotel was not the same as a "4 star" in the USA. It turns out that this was a classic understatement. We arrived around 9:00am. Rooms weren't available until 2:00pm, which is fairly typical, and luggage storage was very difficult, as there is simply no space available. Before embarking out on the town, we asked 2 basic questions regarding changing currency and credit card usage. The responses, as it turned out, couldn't have been further from reality.

We came back early from our exploratory walk, and were informed that a room had just come available. Problem? It was on the 3rd and highest floor, with no elevator and stairs scarcely wide enough to climb and carry a suitcase at one's side. The gentleman at the front desk did assist us, however. When we got into the room I was dumbfounded. The width of the room was approximately 9 feet. You could have swung a "dead cat", but only if you wanted to pulverize a deceased kitty's head. The double bed was pushed all the way into one corner of the room so you could access the bed from one side or the bottom of the bed. I figured I would make the best of it and so I tried out the comfort of the bed. It was hard, lumpy, and generally uncomfortable. The pillows had also seen their better days. I was exhausted and had we asked for another room it would have been a wait of another hour or 2, so we decided to stay put. There was a little TV (the old cathode ray tube style) mounted on the wall, but it didn't work. It did, however, have VCR capability, but I didn't pack any tapes for our Journey. But wait - there's more.

The floors were "spongy" as though there was dry-rot under the carpet. The carpet was woefully tired and there was visible dirt along the walls and in the corners of the stairs. There was also one little wooden chair to sit on, but when my Bride sat on it, it rocked (no, it wasn't a rocking chair) and nearly collapsed. Sure, she's gained a pound or 2 since the wedding, but at her current 125 pounds, she's scarcely what one might call "beefy". Another odd thing was that our bathroom was an inexpensive add-on (not unusual for guesthouses), but it was accessed by walking up a 5-step flight of stairs. Huh?

When we decided that we had enjoyed our room as much as we could, we decided to go out on the town. The only thing in our way was the door. The door knob was decorative and served no real function. I tried the skeleton key, but I was afraid that I was going to break off the key from the pressure I was putting on it. I fiddled with the deadbolt, but I couldn't get it to release. My wife tried as well with the same results. Finally, my Bride called the front desk to come up and let us out, which they did. The nuances of opening this door were demontrated to us so we could have unassisted access to leave the room. - And the hits just keep on comin'.

In all fairness, the manager (owner?) and her staff were very nice and the breakfast was absolutely first-rate. However, I'm judging the comfort and ambiance of the room. We paid the full $ 136.00 just as we would have in any of the other, better rooms. The room was not worth it at all. What's really disappointing is that when I set up the reservation, I specifically mentioned I was on my delayed Honeymoon. I hoped that they were going to try and make it nice.

I really take no pleasure in ranking an establishment this low. I have no desire to hurt anyone's business. Yet I can't believe what rave reviews others have written. Clearly, they didn't stay in the closet we were given. And while I've tried to make light of the situation, it clearly was not funny at the time. Sorry.

Room Tip: If you book there, insist on a room on the first 2 floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TJS171
Kilronan_Manager, General Manager at Kilronan House, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort you endured during your stay and also for the delay in answering back to your review.

I would first of all like to thank you for understanding that due to checkout time being at 11am we can only guarantee all our rooms to be ready from 2pm. September being one of our busiest time of the year, in the event of a very early arrival, it is recommended to book the night prior to your arrival to avoid any disappointment.

I do understand your frustration, regarding the fact that the room allocated to you wasn’t up to standard and that the manager on duty at the time should have paid more attention to the fact that you were on your Honeymoon.

Within the past 12 months, we have renovated over a third of our bedrooms and our common areas (Dining Room, Lobby and Reception Area), changed the carpets and bedding in every bedroom. Those renovations are already visible on our website.
We are presently renovating the rest of our bedrooms including changing VCR TVs to brand new flat screen TVs and hope to finish the renovations by the beginning of summer 2014.

On the other hand I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the helpfulness of our staff and our top quality breakfast.

I welcome further dialogue should you care to contact me directly via telephone or email.

And hope you come back and see the look of our new rooms after the renovation. I will make sure that you are able to swing a “dead cat” without pulverizing its head.

Best Regards,

Seán Finnegan
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

My first trip to Dublin was made so pleasant by a friendly staff willing to accommodate at any level. My room shared by a friend had 2 double beds, great beddings for warmth. Individual attention for advice on excursions. After a along day, there was coffee, tea, hot chocolate plus sweets before retiring. Breakfast was had a good variety and served promptly. Highly recommended. TL

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tricia L
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here at end of holiday. Is is in a fab location. From the moment we arrived until we left we were made very welcome. Everyday Shinade at the front desk asked about our day and offered to make us a hot drink. Just what we needed with it being so cold outside.She also checked us in for our flight. Our room was comfortable and the breakfast is amazing,from fresh fruit to smoked salmon. Would highly recommend Kilronan House

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs request a room on the lower floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica W
Ireland
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night & had a very good nights sleep. Very comfy bed - warm room & a wonderful choice at breakfast - nothing was too much trouble. The staff were very friendly & went out of their way to be helpful. Situated very close to St Stephens Green & Grafton St. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I really tried to be objective with our stay here. Although i read through some of the poor reviews before booking, some seemed to rant in a way that discredited their bad rating, and we decided to give it a shot in spite of these. But after staying here I can see where some would have strong feelings about this place-- especially if you're planning on a really nice stay in Dublin. Like my title says, this is good for anyone on a budget, maybe a step or two above a hostel. If you have the money to stay somewhere else, I'd suggest doing it. There were lots of nice hotels in the downtown area.

The Kilronan's location was by far the biggest selling feature to me. Some other "pros": the room seemed clean, they provide a front door key to come and go as you please and their security seemed pretty tight.

Here were some of the "cons":
- It was two twin beds pushed together making it pretty much impossible to get comfortable. The bed was so horrible, in fact, that if this were the only reason I didn't like the place, I wouldn't stay here again because of it. And from what I can tell, this was one if the "good" rooms.
-the room was cramped (not a big issue as we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it would have been nice for more space
-if there are noisy guests in other rooms you can hear them pretty easily (or if you are a noisy guest you can be heard in the other rooms). The night we stayed, there were several small children that we could hear while we were trying to sleep
-breakfast was very unorganized and service was pretty bad. There were 6 different people (working) coming in and out and we still had to pour our own coffee (big deal, right? -- just frustrating because they have the staff to make this very smooth, but no apparent organization and two rooms were turned away and told they would ring their room when they had an opening). The dining area had an unpleasant burned/old food/old house/ musty aroma. This was probably just being that it's an old house as I didn't notice it as much after sitting in it for a few minutes (and it was the only room that I noticed this odor)
-they turned the heat off at night, and it was freezing in the room. The bed linens did not provide a top sheet, so it was the comforter or nothing.

Again, it's a decent option if you're on a budget, but there are many places that seemed closer and nicer--choose those if you have a few extra euros to spend.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank dondejuann
Valparaiso, Indiana, Usa
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We arrived from a US flight early into Dublin and went straight to the Kilronan House. We didn't expect that our room would be ready but we just wanted a place to drop our bags. We were given a complimentary breakfast and after were offered a room. We could have taken that room but opted to wait for a larger room that would be ready later. It was on the first floor, clean, quiet and quite satisfactory for our stay. The guest house is very convenient to restaurants and sights that we wanted to see in the city. The staff was more that helpful with directions, reservations and general information about the city. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple