“Great choice, great staff, great location!”
Review of Kilronan House

Kilronan House
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
New York
“Great choice, great staff, great location!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were so impressed with Kilronan. We stayed there 16 years earlier on a trip to Ireland and returned for the Notre Dame game and a family reunion in Dublin. It is as wonderful now as it was then. The graceful, old architecture of the building and it's location make it an excellent choice in Dublin. Yes, of course, worn here and there and not perfect but what makes it a superb experience for visitors to Dublin is the staff. Paul, the manager of the property during our stay, was outstanding. His responsive, efficient manner combined with a cheerful willing attitude make staying here a pleasure. Kathleen our waitress in the dining room was delightful. Julie who let me in to my room when our son fell asleep and could not be roused was pleasant and helpful. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel again. It was a wonderful experience. By the way, we had the family room in the building next door. The room was big and had a queen size bed, very comfortable, with spotless white linens and two single beds. If you are worried about space...I would spring for the family room. We were traveling with our 17 year old son and it worked out very well. Thank you Paul, Kathleen, Julie and everyone else there at Kilronan. We won't forget your hospitality and as my husband says, when next it Dublin, we will visit you again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
West Babylon, New York, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went to Dublin to see a concert at National Concert Hall starring Paul Byrom. Stayed at the Kilronain House, a lovely old 1850 guest house. The room I had was very comfortable, & being in Ireland, no air condition needed. The room I had faced the street, which can be a bit noisy. However, it didn't stop me from having a good sleep. The varied breakfast (included) had lovely selections of fresh fruit, home baked brown bread & scones & full Irish breakfast.. The staff consisted of young people, so pleasant & efficient. Even tho there was a crowd of guests waiting the first day I was there, they were never flustered, always cheerful.
I would strongly recommend staying here, for the history of the buiilding (Waterford chandeliers)
By the way, the Concert Hall is a block away, and St. Stephen's Green 2 blocks away. Everything within easy walking distance. I would certainly stay there again, whilst in Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street would be more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Eleanor O
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Staff were so friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were plentiful and delicious. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Great little hotel only 10 minutes walk from Grafton street. Would definately stay there again,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank M M
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed 2 nights again this time. The staff were helpful and accommodating. They upgraded our room to an en suite, even though we paid for the shared toilet. It was a nice room, with a good shower. The room lock was a bit tricky. I think they were so busy this time, some things I liked about them before was missing. My eggs were over-cooked and I didn't have my cup of tea until I was almost done with my meal. I wish I would have had some of the experiences reported by other reviewers. However, it was still a good stay. If we can't find a reasonably priced B&B in the city, I would go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor (it is a climb).
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kirsten1526
Waterlooville
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Main plus is the location as it is within easy walking distance of all tourist attractions. As reported elsewhere rooms are quite small and there is a climb to several. Our room could do with refurbishment, especially in bathroom which also gave a drains smell. Breakfast was little underwhelming and certainly less generous in portion size compared to other Irish establishments we have experienced. Porridge was lukewarm and only one mushroom on the plate summed it up. Staff were helpful and taxi they organised to airport for set price was appreciated. Bus tour, writers museum and Trinity College are definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank billynick
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I chose this place blind, not being at all familiar with Dublin. Fortunately it turned out to be within walking distance of just about everything we wanted to see.

The room was small but had everything we needed and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and breakfast was good. It took a good 5 minutes or so for the hot water to start in our shower (be patient or take a cold one like I did the first morning) and the pipes were rather noisy throughout the night, which isn't completely unexpected in an old building like this. It was by far the most expensive lodging we had in Ireland, but again I suppose not unexpected being in Dublin.

If you have trouble navigating stairs this might not be the place for you; we were on the top floor (4th?) and there were quite a few stairs, not the easiest if this is a problem for you. My husband and I didn't mind but my parents struggled a bit.

I would probably give this property 3 1/2 stars had that been an option...definitely better than average but not at the same level as some of those we stayed at in other places.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeax2
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed the night when we were at a function in the RDS.

Kilronan House is at a great location, so very convenient if you are attending a concert or show - 5 min walk from the National Concert Hall, about 20 min walk from the RDS. It is also about 20 min walk into the city centre, good for sightseeing and shopping. Also 2 min walk from the canal, which is lovely for a stroll (or a jog, for the more ambitious!)

The room was comfortable, decorated with framed Paul Henry prints (Launching the Currach, fishermen, etc). I liked the touch of the skylight which could be closed with a remote. Bed was comfortable. Complimentary water provided in the bedroom - always a bonus in my book! There was no bathtub, but the shower had excellent power. The room was a bit warm, so I woke up a few times in the night, but fell asleep right away again. There was a bit of street noise the next morning from morning commuters about 7am, but we had to get up at 7.30 anyway.

The bedroom and bathroom, as well as the common areas, were extremely clean - however, some parts are a little "tired". The bathroom window had a blind with worn edges and a little dirt / mold. The dinig area ceiling and coving was painted white, with paint splatted onto the walls - but we could see samples of different shaded paint on one of the walls, which implied they are choosing a paint colour to redo the walls next. So I presume refurbuishments are underway! But the decor is classy and, as I said, the place was spotless.

The breakfast was fantastic - lovely choice served at the table. My partner went for the "full irish" and I had smoked salmon and pached eggs. Homemade brown bread was tasty, and the homemade raspberry jam was out of this world! Delicious. Relaxing music played on a CD in the background.

Staff were very pleasant, smiling, helpful... excellent.

There is parking along the side of the hotel but, when we arrived, there were not spots left. So we left the car parked out front, and someone moved it in for us later.

A great place to stay when in Dublin, we look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple