“Lack of insulation leads management to treat guests unwelcome”

Glenogra Guest House
Ranked #40 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
“Lack of insulation leads management to treat guests unwelcome”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Hmmm my advice would be to never stay here for paddys weekend. As the insulation of this building makes every room completely un soundproof this led to compensation of this obvious failing to be taken out on any guest who wanted to have a conversation at the end of an enjoyable evening out.in addition no allowance had been made for high volumes of guests leading to a very substandard level of service in at breakfast. However outside of this particular weekend, a stay here may be enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Marifi24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Spend this weekend there. Have many positive comments. So convenient - beautiful walk into city - just 20 mins. Along the loviest parts of Dublin. (Bus service excellent too). I travelled by air coach to and from airport. Worked so well. Goes often, and just across the road. What hits a person first when entering this townhouse is the smell of lovely flowers. There are numerous huge vases to be found on the ground floor, and all very pretty. Creates a nice athmosphere. The piano in the sitting room is the highlight of course. If my son was with me, he would have played there the whole weekend Im sure. The breakfasts were execellent. What I loved was that "the full irish breakfast" was not the usual "heart attack on a plate" !! Everything was grilled, and not fried. (Sometimes grilled food can be dry. So was not the case here). I was quite sick while there and the owners could not have done more for me. Serving me with lemons, honey and even lighting the candels on the birthday cake that arrived out of the blue in the middle of night). Service was EXCELLENT. Best marks though must go for the "hotel like" service of printing out my boarding card - which saved me a lot of hassel. Will return - do doubt. We were actually due to stay in Bewleys hotel (across the road but were so unhappy about the treatment, we cancelled). Staying at Glenogra was better than any hotel. Thank you !!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Sweden189852
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed here with my adult Stepdaughter while my husband was in hospital nearby. From the moment we arrived we could find nothing out of place.Our bags were carried upstairs,the breakfasts were superb and the staff were very helpful. Having only booked for two nights we had to extend our stay,often night by night and there was no problem.The price was what you'd expect in this area and well worth it for the luxury. would heartily recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs make sure you ask for a ground floor room as we were up three flight...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our family of five found our stay at the Glenroga house pleasant and well-located. Staff were helpful, accomodations were clean and traditional and our breakfast was delicious and ample. The inn is about a 10 minute drive outside of central Dublin, which suited us perfectly after a full day of touring. There are 8-10 good restaurants within 2-4 blocks away as well as a major horse show stadium (we were just a little early for the show). No complaints here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
County Kerry Ireland
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Great location for the RDS
Owner couldnt be more helpfull.
It was a pleasure to stay there.
Difficult to find as the house numbers do not go in sequence on Merrion road , 64 was not after 63 or before 65 but about 300 yards further down the road. It is between the RDS and Bewelys Hotel but on the oppisite side of the road.
Lovely sitting area in the garden

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was my second stay at Glenogra ... this time w/family. One reasod for my return was the very professional yet friendly attirude of the owners. Very accomodating ... and on this occasion, our van was too difficult for us right-side of the road drivers to manage so one of the owners quickly stepped-up to help. Always apprecaited. Great staff in the dining room too ... great b'fast spread as well. Easy walking, cab or train to the city center is ideal ... and the section ( Ballsbridge) is very nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I stayed here as it is close to the US Embassy. In terms of location, it is excellent, being close also to the RDS. In terms of local prices at the time, I considered it to be quite competitive. Don't expect to be wowed for the money.
The room was comfortable enough, but quite dated in terms of décor and outfit in my opinion. The TV seemed to have a mind of its own.
I didn't find the staff to be particularly welcoming or helpful upon my arrival, however those I dealt with the next day were warm, chatty and helpful.
One major plus is the secure, off-street parking provided at the back.
I think that this guest house could be a real little gem with some small improvements. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business