“It's a lottery experience”

Stauntons on the Green
Ranked #90 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Newcastle upon Tyne
“It's a lottery experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

On previous visits to Dublin I had been struck by the perfect location of Staunton's on the Green and was keen to try it out: it's next to Newman's Church; it faces the most lovely Green; it appears to be out of the busy/noisy throng. Despite the sharply divided experiences of contributors to this site, I thought I'd risk it. Having just returned from a two night stay, I now understand why this place polarises opinion.

My own room was on the top floor facing the front. It was clean and comfortable: there was a hum of traffic, but good curtains and (newish?) window frames minimised the disturbance -- and it is, after all, a city hotel (the road is busy in the night but it bears no resemblance to central London). True, on arrival only one light bulb was working: this was quickly put right on request. I largely enjoyed my experience of my accommodation.

My colleague, however, had an opposite experience: four party-goers returned at 4am to the next-door room (designed to accommodate two people); they continued to behave outrageously loudly for the next two hours. I witnessed the response of the proprietor to this complaint and it made me profoundly uncomfortable about the nature of the service being offered here: he was first of all evasive (shifting the handling of the complaint to an awkward receptionist); he never had a glimmer of apology or sense of responsibility towards his guests/clients. It struck me that his only concern was achieving a payment: he had no interest at all in the quality of the experience he was offering.

This is the lottery element: if you don't run into problems (such as drunken, all-night revellers next door), you may well have a good experience at Stauntons. I had a good experience with my own room. But if there is a problem, you are likely to meet a low level of customer service, one that has now largely disappeared from modern standards of hospitality. Breakfast experience was similarly uneven: the Irish lady who served on the first day spoke to me (in her automatic mode) as if I was dirt on her shoe (she thawed eventually, as her rudeness was met with insistent politeness); on the second day, the Chinese waitress was wholly delightful and charming. That's the point: you just don't know what you are going to get

I went here hoping it would be the place I'd always want to stay in Dublin. I'm unlikely to stay there again: it has a lot going for it but in the end it wants your money and doesn't really care about the quality of the experience it offers.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
12 Thank bartimaeus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Finnish first
Newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

Lovely location but that is the end of the recommendation. Room adequate as was breakfast and that's as positive as I can be. My stay fell foul of Dublin's party going culture. Was woken at 3.50 by young ladies next door who decided to continue their celebrations and brought back 2 young gentlemen to help. Reception didn't answer the phone so twice I had to get dressed and go and seek help. Intervention on the hotel's behalf minimal and wholly inadequate. At 5.30am I asked for another room and was given what I suposed to be an emergency staff room in the basement. Next morning the proprietor's reaction was completely astonishing. In these days of improving customer awareness and relations you can still find rude, abrasive intransigence; Mr Staunton is the living proof. He offered me 16 euros off my bill and after hard negotiation I eventually got 26! The point is that an average to good exerience was ruined by his negativity. My ladies of the night were not the only ones rolling noisily in at 4am so if you are going here you'd better feel lucky in terms of your fellow guests because you can expect no apology, understanding and little redress. Personally I wouldn't touch the place!

• Disliked — the owner and the policy of allowing guests to return at any time of the night and in any condition
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Yeats

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

TheHague
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

This hotel sells itself as a luxury boutique hotel, ha ! The prices may reflect that but the reality is a 2-3 star guesthouse. The reception is tiny and cramped, with a crowd of guests several people deep waiting patiently to be dealt with by the one receptionist. Unbelievably the bare wooden floor was covered by what looked like pieces of scrap carpet that had been saved by a rubbish skip. The reception looked more like a crackhouse or a squat !

No lifts to the rooms, but not a problem for me. The hotel felt more like my grandmother's house, very old fashioned but certainly the rest of the hotel was of a much better standard than the reception area, yet hardly worthy of the luxury or boutique tag. The single room at the front was indeed tiny, but served my needs, as did the wardrobe-sized bathroom. The noise level was bad but manageable, the main problem being all the bawling and singing late night drunks parading past at 4am.

To the plus points: the reception staff were ever so helpful and friendly. The Irish breakfast was excellent and the service provided by the entirely Chinese waitress personnel was up to standards. The location is also great, no more than 10-15 minutes walk from all the city centre sights, shops and bars.

This place is being marketed completely wrong. Expect a luxury boutique hotel and you'll be disappointed (especially at the prices they charge). Expect a well-run guesthouse and you'll be OK.

• Liked — nice staff, location
  • Disliked — tiny rooms, shabby reception, street noise
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank Casualist
east anglia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

i booked this hotel 2 months in advance for a girlie weekend away to celebrate a friends birthday. I reserved the rooms by email and all seemed good, especially as the website looked really good and a real find.

When we arrived the receptionist was quite rude and blunt, the rooms which were at the front of the property were basic and not at all what the website preceived which was a real disappointment. Most of the lights didn't work and the door to the bathroom wouldn't shut, when we went to see what our friends rooms where like, it was no better. Very dusty!!

But after some investigation we found the new extension at the back of the property which is clearly what the website is modelled on. The rooms were bigger and much much better. Luckily our friends with the dusty room were able to move into one of these rooms but we weren't do fortunate. When I enquired about this at reception I was told that the new rooms were more expensive and popular (no kidding), but I had not been told this when I booked otherwise we would have booked those rooms.

However, aside of these problems the location is great, over looking a gorgeous park which on the other side is Grafton St, Dawson St and Temple Bar. It's just a shame that they haven't refurbished the rooms in the main house otherwise it would be a great place to stay!!!!

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — Room Decor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank gemm_mcall
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

After a sleepless night in a Lower Leeson Street hotel (pub crowds outside all night), the next morning we walked two blocks to Staunton's on the Green and were able to book a double room in the new back extension. Blissfully quiet and very handsomely appointed decor. Pleasant garden in the back. Comfortable bed, immaculate modern bathroom. TV with numerous channels (apparently they have corrected the tv problems reported by other guests). We were amused to note that for breakfast the menu offers "Full Irish Breakfast" and as an option "Healthy Breakfast".

We did not see the rooms in the older part of the hotel so cannot comment.

A center of calm in Dublin's bustle, very convenient to transportation including airport coach, and good value. We look forward to a return.

• Liked — Quiet, clean and comfortable, great location on St Stephen's Green, moderate price
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rasha36
Ontario Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2007

Stayed in this hotel while at a conference at TCD in Nov 2006 - it was the best priced for a central location and Dublin is very expensive. Was a bit nervous after I read the reviews on this site, and called to request a room at the back of the hotel which I was given. It seemd newly decorated, had comfortable beds and a large bathroom and glass doors looking out onto a back garden.

The first night the TV wasn''t working and I called the receptionist. She came right away and couldn't work out what was wrong. As soon as a maintenance person came back (about 20 mins later) she sent him to check and he discovered a fuse had blown, fixed it on the spot and was very friendly and pleasant. Because of the reviews I wanted to say that the receptionist was very helpful and seemed to be working all the time. We left our bags there until the evening on the day we checked out without any problem and the hotel called a taxi etc. I do seem to remember some frantic discussion at reception about overbooking at the time!
It doesn''t have all the amenities of larger hotel, so limitations have to be considered. I was too rushed to have breakfast so can''t comment on that.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank CinCanada
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2007

The hotel is like night and day if you stay in the front or back of the hotel. We initially stayed in the front -- a green colored room -- and were terribly disappointed. Paying 150 euros a night for a room with sagging beds, weathered carpet, plastic bathroom? Not to mention the loud street noise?

After sticking out two nights, we had enough and requested to change rooms. Luckily they just managed to switch us with another booking. This time we had a red colored room, in the back of the building. It was just across the hall from our old room, but what a world of difference! Suddenly the hotel had a beautiful view onto a garden, was beautifully furnished, and became the picture of the quaint townhouse hotel.

Breakfast was very generous, a full Irish breakfast every day.

The location is fantastic, on Green itself and a very short walk across the lovely park to the pedestrian shopping area, and beyond that to the Trinity College area. I would recommend staying here compared to Temple Bar anytime. Just request a red room in the back of the building.

However this is not for older travelers, since there are a lot of stairs to climb.

Near to the airport bus route.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shabby room (at first, before we got moved to renovated room which was nice)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Muscae