“Truly a Mix of Good & Bad”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel has all the potential to be a 4 plus star establishment. It is in a great location; nicely appointed, has comfortable bedding, nice touches in the rooms and the common areas are well done. Were it not for all these factors, ours would have been a two star experience. The issue for us was less than good experience with service and a poor sleep experience. The service issue was an attempt at early check-in, a seeming indifference to the fact that we had an overnight flight. In addition, the first 2 wake up calls which we requested were never received, on the third request the call came 17 minutes late. The design of the hotel bathroom was incoherent, the bathroom door opened into the toilet and blocked access to half of the bathroom requiring one to straddle the loo to access the other side of the room. The biggest down side to this hotel is its proximity to a night club next door. The late night noise from music, drinking revelers and racing car engines kept us up until well after 2 AM on both a Friday and Saturday night. We had 4 others in our party who shared the same experience. A call to the front desk at that hour received an apology from the receptionist, not what one would hope to hear at that hour.

Bottom line: we would not return to the Academy Plus based upon our experiences.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front of the hotel, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,687)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently stayed here with my family and although we didn't choose it because we bought a large vacation package that had our hotels planned, it ended up being a great place! The location is RIGHT in the heart of downtown Dublin, walking distance to all the major Dublin attractions and lots of touristy things, like shopping. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful, but could have given us a better introduction upon check-in, like mentioning the breakfast they offered that we could sign up for, or mentioning the fact that all the plugs were European, so if we needed to borrow an adapter, we could (which was GREAT they had them available once we knew about them!). The breakfast ended up being very good, for 7.5 euros a person. Overall, we really enjoyed our 2 night stay here and would definitely stay again!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great hotel excellent staff. Our visit to this hotel was all the more enjoyable by the courteous and helpful staff. I sprained my ankle just before my trip so I was hampered in my ability to walk. I was provided with a wheelchair by most helpful staff and to my astonishment was upgraded to a triple room for my comfort. I have never had this level of treatment anywhere else. The rooms were not large but more than suitable for us. There was four in our party and we all got upgraded from twin to triple rooms. Breakfast was superb. And again the staff were exceptionally helpful. All were so cheery and pleasant. Altogether I found the people in Dublin really friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was also very handy for getting around the shops and sightseeing and buses . And very handy for airport bus too. Just off O Connell street . Footnote. Couldn't. Wait to get to bed at night as beds were sooooo comfortable. Ignore my points for swimming pool hit wrong button and don't know how to delete it , didn't have swimming pool.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great location (off O'Connell Street). The rooms are fairly small (we stayed in a double) but they are clean and the ensuites feature a bath which is great, plus the shower is lovely. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Fantastic value for money. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Got off to a bad start when the lady at the desk denied me access to my room in morning after my golf group package paid for the night before precisely so that I would have early check-in. Then, when I finally got into my room, after sitting the freezing cold lobby for several hours, it was so small that I had walk sideways to get past my tiny single bed. No closet. Just a tiny rack with a few of those annoying clip-on type hangers. The fitness room was a joke (about the size of my room), both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were awful. Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TuanBesar69
Seamus B, Deputy Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear TuanBesar69

Thank you for you feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Looking at you comments it seems as though we never matched your expectations. Since your arrival I can assure you that your reservation was highlighted with our Front Office team and management board the issues raised were brought to our attention and we since contacted your travel agency to apologise also. We want nothing more than to for our customers to be happy and offer our best possible service and allocation.

Due to the fact that you did arrive as a golf group and there can be certain anonymities with this. It can be tricky for us as we are not dealing with the guest directly themselves and this so happens you received a single room. Should the allocation be available we would have loved nothing more to offer you and upgrade. We do have larger rooms on option when the availability is there. We also have the option to upgrade rooms to an executive suite for only €19.00. Again I apologise that you were not happy with the room.

Regarding dinner on the night we had prepared a special menu for you and the general feedback was positive on the night. I already have discussed how we could have gotten this wrong. We make no secret of our gym here at the hotel. The primary reason we have this gym here is for our corporate & leisure guests who inquired for an area to train in. We do not advertise it as a leisure centre but as a small gesture for our guests to train in.

Thank you for letting us know about you stay with us. Should you wish to discuss this further or give us more feedback at the hotel please contact me on seamus@academyplazahotel.ie

Best Regards
Séamus Brennan
Deputy Manager

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed as a business traveller and it met my 3 main criteria: it is clean, it had a good bed, and it had a good shower. The hotel offers discounted rates, and it kept me in budget. The room indeed was *tiny* but a worthwhile tradeoff for the location. There was some noise from the terrace bar, but not enough to disturb me. I have stayed here before, and I will choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Shallam

I am delighted that we at the hotel provided you with a good stay and met your three very important factors clean hotel, good bed and a good shower. Your comments are very positive and I am very happy you shared them with us. Thank you.

We try our utmost to be competitive with our neighbours in the city and are looking at ways to always appeal to every customer. Our city is very competitive and we are delighted you choose us. With the comfortable clean rooms and free WiFi and being right in the city centre has its advantages. We do hope you will come and see us again soon.

Should you need to discuss this mail or your comments futher do not hesitate to contact me seamus@academyplzahotel.ie

Best Regards
Séamus Brennan

Reviewed May 9, 2013

When I visit Dublin I always stay at the Academy Plaza Hotel. The staff are always very helpful and friendly. The hotel has complimentary wi-fi and newspapers and all rooms have a safe, coffee and tea making facilities, flatscreen TV and an iron board. Breakfast has something for everyone. The buffet offers hot and cold food, so nobody has to go hungry. All Dublin sights and shops are within walking distance. The Aircoach stops just around the corner, as do the city busses. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. I can’t recommend the Academy Plaza highly enough! Well done to everybody at the Academy Plaza!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo