“Great location, everything else blah”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #47 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Minneapolis
“Great location, everything else blah”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed one night at the Academy Plaza. I chose the hotel based on the highly positive reviews in tripadvisor. This may be the first time that I have been disappointed by my decision. Other than the fabulous location, there's not a whole lot to recommend.

The hotel is just north of the river Liffey, right off O'Connell street. The tourist buses are very close, Temple Bar is a nice 10 minute walk away, etc. For that reason alone, it is a worthy choice.

Some negatives:

1. I booked a double room and they stuck me with a single because all other rooms were booked. They knew about it when I checked in, but didn't say anything when I checked in. Instead I had to go back and complain, then they offered me a $10 discount (which was less than the difference between single and double). A cramped single room at double rate (~$170) seemed pretty pricey to me but it looks like all of Dublin is pricey, so maybe it's actually a good deal.

2. Restaurants are unimpressive. Avoid the breakfast.

3. Interior of hotel is dated. My single room was very cramped with a TV on the wall in an awkward position. I could barely sit at the desk.

All in all, a fine hotel if you are going to be out drinking and partying and just need a home base. I wouldn't recommend if you have discriminating tastes.

Room Tip: single rooms very cramped
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PaulSonda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Great location in city centre. Breakfast included, traditional or european, delicious buffet meal in the Asian resturant in the evening. All your toiletries available with an upgrade. Safe secure parking across the street, special reduced rates for hotel users.
I would definitly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: All rooms have triple glazing to keep out noise,
1 Thank savoy86
Northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

My Fiance and I stayed here for two nights last weekend. We enjoyed our stay here and will more than likely stop here again next time we are in Dublin.
All the staff in reception and the breakfast room were polite and helpful, the hotel was clean, spacious and breakfast was a delight and very well organised.
Our room had everything we needed, it was a little bit on the small side but that wasn't a major issue.
Car park was opposite the hotel, get your ticket stamped in reception, you get a cheaper car park fee.

We have only got two moans. Firstly it took us ages to find the hotel, it was not signposted and there was no street name. The bar closed early, after requesting a drink at 1.15am we were told in no uncertain terms that we could not have another drink in the bar and that they would be served in the foyer, this seemed odd and a somewhat unnecessary, ten minutes later the bar was locked and after I asked the barman if we could have a drink I was told no, "it is shut and is not a residents bar". It would not have taken much to have asked us if we would have liked a last drink before your man decided to lock up.

1 Thank Gymphil
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

This hotel is in an ideal location right off of O'Connell Street where there are tons of shops and restaurants nearby. It's also about a 10 minute walk to the Temple Bar area. Although our room was a bit small, it was still very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable and it was one of the best sleeps I'd had in a long time. The staff was very friendly and in fact they let us check in at six hours early, which was such a blessing!! I will definitely be staying at this hotel the next time I return to Dublin!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank BecauseAfterAll
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Skip the Chinese buffet in the Abacus restaurant - overpriced. Good value for breakfast but not enough fresh fruit for my taste.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank 1959tapdancer
county Down
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

myself and my husband stayed for May's bank holiday weekend. I booked a very reasonable deal(150 euros for 2 nights bed and breakfast)from go Ireland.com.
the hotel was incredibly clean and the staff can not be faulted courteous and very professional, the food was very good especially the Chinese buffet which again was reasonably priced. I suppose my only gripe was the size of the room.. the room we stayed in was the smallest I have ever stayed in in a hotel and was almost windowless as the window again was possibly the smallest ever seen!! the noise coming from the music bar next door was far too loud and went on until around 3 am.
we stay in Dublin a few times a year and while I cant really fault the hotel I don't think I would stay here again as there are much nicer hotels to be stayed in . (however I got what I paid for)

Room Tip: go for an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
academyclaire, Sales & Marketing Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Hi RosebudcountyDown

We would like to thank you so much for your very quick feedback and we are delighted that you felt the hotel standards were high on cleanliness and that our staff were friendly, courteous and professional which in turn makes your stay so much more enjoyable. I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the room, the room you had booked was a standard room and we do offer upgrades for €19 to an Executive room or alternatively contacted reception to advise that you were unhappy with the room that was given and we would have tried our best to allocate another room for you .

I would hope that on a return trip to Dublin you would re consider staying with us again and we can look after all of your accommodation needs as you seemed to enjoy all other aspects of the hotel.

I would thank you for your feedback on this occasion and I look forward to hearing from you in the future and welcoming you back to Academy Plaza Hotel.

Kind Regards

Claire Kiernan
Sales & Marketing
claire@academyplazahotel.ie
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

got a great deal on go ireland website for 149 euro 2nights b&b, as it was so cheap we didnt have high expectations, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. just off o'connell street any local attractions are within 15 mins walking distance, we had upgraded to an executive room for an extra 20euro per night. the hotel lobby was very spacious with sofa's/computers/coffee bar so everything you need!! we were very happy when we got to our room, kingsize bed & very spacious, bathroom small but had everything we needed and lots of complimentary toiletries! freeview tv channels which is more than most hotels, and FREE WIFI !!! robe and slippers for relaxing.. room was bright and clean. it was a buffet breakfast everything fine, hotel has a chinese buffet and restaurant in it so dont need to eat out. there's a huge sportsbar right next door (The Living Room) which is a club at night with great music.. we went to temple bar first then back to here as it was just next door :-) if i ever had the desire to go back to dublin i would stay here again!

Room Tip: pay the extra 20euros p/n upgrade!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a positive review. We are delighted that you were impressed with the hotel and that you found all the amenities so accessible. I am especially delighted that you found the Hotel to be in a great location with everything in walking distance. We are especially happy yo hear that you used all of our services within the hotel and that you found them all impressive including our Asian Buffet ,Abacus.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you in the future and welcoming you back to Academy Plaza Hotel.

Kind Regards