Ashling Hotel
$183
$164
$347
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$144
$173
$164
$204
$195
Orbitz.com
4,912 results
All reviewsphoenix parkiveagh barguinness factorynancy handsheuston train stationcity centresuperior king roomgreat hotelnational museumminute walktram linekilmainham gaolbreakfast buffetluas stopacross the riverbreakfast was amazingbar food
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was incredibly surprised when I first arrived in Dublin to find that I could take a bus all the way from the ferry port to almost at the doorstep of the Ashling! Literally, all I had to do was walk across the bridge from Heuston Station to Ashling. It was incredible, and I loved that location. The downside is that, though it's almost on the River Liffey (a HUGE benefit, by the way--you'll never get lost as long as you can find the River Liffey, and that's pretty hard to do!), it's at the far west side of Dublin, and because my interests in the city lay largely towards central Dublin, if not east Dublin (Trinity College, Temple Bar, etc.), it made for a long walk each day around.
Location being reviewed, let's talk about the hotel itself. The room came with a thermostat, which was absolutely brilliant. I've never seen a room in which you have to insert your key card in order to get the lights turned on, but I loved that--so environmentally friendly! The bathroom was completely spotless and very modernized with a good amount of room in it and excellent ventilation. I had the Do Not Disturb sign on my door in the mornings when the cleaning lady came by, and because of this, she still managed to complete her duties by leaving a bag of fresh towels, toiletries, and toilet paper on the doorknob of my door each day. I was very impressed with that. The only thing I really have to complain about is that I paid for a single room with a double bed in it, but instead, I got a room with two singles in it. No matter, because they were still the largest singles I've ever had in addition to being extremely comfortable and soft with firm pillows. The sheets still had that fresh scent of straight-from-the-wash scent to them, and when I pressed my nose to my clean towels, I could smell faint, harmless traces of bleach, which made me, a clean freak, very happy indeed. My room was absolutely beautiful. Dark wood complemented by glimmering mirrors and classic colours--it was so, so classy. I loved it!
Having to do with the service: The workers in the reception, bar, and restaurant were very helpful and polite, though their politeness seemed a bit fake, though I've no idea why. When I called the reception desk from my room, however, they were very kind, and they booked me a taxi as well as a wake-up call with no problem. However, while inquiring upon further matters with the man from reception, I was misinformed concerning particular abilities of the front desk staff, which resulted in somewhat of an embarrassing episode for me that I do not wish to repeat. This incident led to further stress for me, and I was not pleased.
Overall, though, the hotel was very nice. It was a comfortable place where I felt completely safe, and that's what mattered most to me. I never used the safe provided in the room, and everything was fine. My only other disappointments were that there was no microwave, refrigerator, nor ice bucket made available in the room, and the ice bucket was only available if one were to go down to the bar and ask for it, which was quite the inconvenience. With all of the coffee and tea packs provided, along with excess amounts of toiletries, would it really have been so difficult for the hotel to provide ice buckets in-room? Also, I'd like to mention that, after spending such amounts on this hotel, I was trying to stay economical when going out to dinner, and everything suggested in the dining pamphlet placed in my room was utterly ridiculously priced, as was the restaurant in the hotel which I did, in fact, visit, and which disappointed me when I ordered one of my favorite dishes. The chef was too heavy-handed with the peppers and onions and used the flavouring, including salt and cheese, too sparingly. As I am somewhat allergic to peppers and the peppers were not mentioned on the menu as being included, this was a bad thing. On another note, I had a room facing over the street on the first floor (for Americans, that's the second floor) and the windows were not soundproofed, which I, personally, really only noticed when there was a plane going overhead, which was rare. It could have been worse. However, I do recommend that, if you're a light sleeper, that you ask for a room elsewhere in the building.
Overall, however, I am very pleased with my stay at Ashling. It is a lovely hotel in a lovely place and is well kept. I am impressed, and I would both recommend and return, given the chance.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, stay away from the side of the building overlooking the street. The windows are not soundproofed. However, if you want a lovely view overlooking the canal and the garden in front of the hotel, go for that side. I don't really think you can go wrong at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for your very informative review on TripAdvisor and we were delighted to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay and would recommend to others and return to us.

Regarding a particular incident which you mentioned, if you wish to contact us to discuss this matter further we would be delighted to talk. guestcare@ashlinghotel.ie

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Good location. 10 min walk to Guinness Storehouse and 20 min. to the Temple Bar area. The bar was the best place to unwind and have some great food. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The staff was wonderful and helped us with all our questions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Ashling Hotel on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and our staff were very helpful with your queries. We do hope to welcome you back to the Ashling in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location if travelling by train to the south of Ireland.
One minute walk to trains.
Taxi from airport to here just twenty minutes
Good atmosphere in pub.
Great breakfast but expensive by international standards .
Very friendly and professional staff.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ashling on TripAdvisor and your complimentary feedback regarding our staff and great location next to Heuston Train Station. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back to the Ashling in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel, in a really nice location. We had a free room upgrade, room was spotless, all staff we encountered were very friendly. We had an all round excellent stay! 20 minute stroll from hotel to temple bar area, 2 minute stroll to the gates of Phoenix park. Ideal location for families wanting to visit the zoo.

Room Tip: Superior Deluxe rooms are 1st class, we had a corner 1 with ceiling height windows, an unreal bathroom and loads of room for a toddler to run around, highly recommend!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BazDown

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and your complimentary feedback regarding our staff and location. We must agree it is an ideal location for families being so close to Dublin Zoo.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the Ashling in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am currently at this hotel of sorts..Thus far I an extremely disappointed with this place. No a/c, horrible Internet connection . when management was approached, I was told that this was what the rate was even though none of this was stated at the Hotwire website where the rate was posted , however should I be willing to pay more than I could get a room with a/c and better Internet....I hope this will assist others considering this place to stay.....So much for treating the customer properly...if I could rate this place with negative numbers I would definitely do so

Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank GrandPoohbear
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to read of your concerns. We try to monitor the accuracy of information portrayed about us on third party websites and which in this case does not suggest that we have air-conditioning in all our bedrooms. Regarding the WiFi, we have just significantly upgraded our Free WiFi facility. Despite these initial problems we do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and your trip around Ireland.

Kind Regards,