“We loved this hotel”

Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ware, United Kingdom
“We loved this hotel”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here on a quick city break Thursday night, we booked via Secret Escapes so we received quite a good deal. The hotel seems to be used by just about every type of traveler there is, with lots of familes around. The lady who checked us in was nice enough to ask which part of the hotel we'd like to stay in, I asked which had the best view and we were checked in to a room at the front on the 4th floor - which looks out onto the River Liffey and the Guinness Factory. If you would like a quieter room, then opt for the back of the hotel if you're given the chance, having said that, I did not find it overly noisy.
We stayed in room 466 which is a Superior King room, the bed was absolutely huge, which prompted pleas from the other half to invest in a newer, bigger bed for the home! The room was clean, well lit, with a small seating area and coffee/tea facilities. There is no mini-bar or fridge available. In the bathroom we had a bath-over shower and a toiletries kit which includes cotton buds, cotton pads and a nail file - very handy!
Breakfast is a buffet affair but for the cooked full Irish you are served your choices from a lovely lady behind the counter. It gets very very busy - we had to wait a few moments before being seated, they obviously have a rush hour where almost everyone staying in the hotel descends to be fed. Anyway, it was delicious and there are some really thoughtful touches for people who may have special dietary requirements - e.g. there were rice cakes available alongside the pastries and bread, a large choice of nuts, mixed berries and fruit too.
We found the staff really friendly and welcoming the entire time we were there. The hotel is located about a 30 minute walk from Temple Bar (across a very flat landscape), 10 minutes from the Guinness Factory and about 2 minutes from two great pubs one called Nancy Hands and the other Ryan's which both do great food outside the hub-bub of Temple Bar. If you get a two day city tour bus pass there are two stops very close by - one just opposite and the other just down from the croppies memorial.

Room Tip: Good views to the front of the hotel, quieter rooms are at the back as the hotel is on a busy road o...
1 Thank Fallon P
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ashling and for your very high praise from your stay in the Ashling last week. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope to welcome you back to the Ashling in the not too distant future.

Ashling Hotel Dublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kilmacthomas, Ireland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Ashling Hotel is situated 5 mins walk from Heuston Railway Stn.Dublin (Taxi avail).
Very clean, smart with attentative staff. There are several grades of rooms ...I opt for the 2nd grade..this costs for 2 people and extra 20euro a night. The rooms overlook the Liffey which at night is lit up. Very close to ALL shops/Museums/Zoo - the Luas/Tram is close by the Hotel and stops all the way through Dublin.
Breakfast is great value...fresh,hot cook items/various bakery/fruit&yogs etc; recommend.
There is room service for food, but, I went to the Bar and ordered and brought a tray up to my room...
Having stayed in several Hotels in Dublin...this is the Hotel I now use on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd Floor overlooking the River & small Park.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for feedback and your kind words regarding our Full Irish Buffet Breakfast, bedrooms and attentive staff. We were delighted to learn that you will continue to return to us for your visits to Dublin and we look forward to welcoming back to the Ashling again and again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for a weekend break. We are regular visitors to Dublin but had not stayed at this hotel before. We found the location to be quite convenient as the hotel is situated a very short walk away from Heuston Station where you can access the Luas Line and a regular bus service to the centre of town.The car park was useful and was charged at only 8 euro per 24 hours.We found the food at the hotel to be of a high standard and the waiting staff were friendly and helpful. We were initially shown to a family room with a double bed, single bed and cot which we did not require. Having informed Silvana at reception, we were offered a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room on the 7th floor. This room was very nicely decorated and spacious with great views of the Liffey and the city. The bathroom was particularly well appointed and large and if we should book in the future, I believe the extra money for the upgrade would be well spent. The hotel had a very friendly atmosphere and we would be happy to stay at the Ashling again, as well as recommend it to others.

1 Thank Mike599
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were delighted as first time visitors you will return to the Ashling again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ashling in thenot too distant future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night after arriving to Dublin and I must say throughout my short stay the staff was very helpful. I also must say this was the nicest of the hotels I stayed in during my Ireland adventure. The hotel had two twin beds in my room, one for me and one for my backpack, as I came alone. The bed was very comfortable and was a great place to collapse after my almost 14 hours of traveling. The room was spacious as well, something different than the other hotels I stayed at, and it had a pretty nice view of the River Liffey. There was also complimentary soaps and shower cap. Room service was great as well, I had the Thai red curry. They also have an all you can eat breakfast, I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was around 12 or 13 Euros and happened to be pretty good with plenty of options. Regarding location, was not directly in the city center, so it was nice and quiet, and the Luas train is just out the door and to the left, easy access to the city center. It is right across the street from one of the major bus stations as well.
One thing that I did not like about the hotel was the shower, which seriously was just an extension of the bathroom floor, with a shower curtain. The floor was even concave to allow water to flow to the drain. Although it looked pretty sleek, it was not practical. After my shower, the floor was wet, even the toilet paper roll was splashed with water. The shower did have a detachable shower head though, which is always helpful. All in all, I liked the hotel and would stay again, and many thanks to the wonderful staff who helped me .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you were delighted with our customer service from our staff throughout your stay and we do hope to welcome you back to the Ashling in the not too distant future.

Ireland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Location of this hotel is excellent, across the road from Hueston train station and 2minutes from the Luas line. The rooms are in very good decor with everything you need for a city break. Staff very helpfull and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Ashling. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Decided to take my girlfriend to stay here during our trip to Dublin for our 5 year anniversary after reading the reviews.
The hotel was extremely good with everything you need for a good stay - rooms clean and well kitted out, well priced, reasonably priced food and excellent staff.
The location looks a little far out on maps but the LUAS, bus and train station is less than 2 minutes walk away; and the walk into the city centre is only about a mile anyway.
The hotel is also near to Phoenix Park which is really nice to walk around/have lunch in.
Overall, great experience - if I'm ever in Dublin again I will be staying here.

2 Thank amutualthing
Thank you for your feedback. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back to the Ashling should you return to Dublin in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Location of this hotel is excellent. Very easy to get to and it has its own underground car park, although this is charged for.

Check in was very easy and straight forward. I must have been staying in the old part of the hotel. The rooms were ok, but do need some work. They are becoming a wee bit outdated, including the bathroom.

The room was clean as was the bathroom no fault here.

The food in the bar is lovely although can be very slow service. I was not asked if I wanted desert, tea / coffee and I had to go to the bar everytime I wanted a drink even though I could see others being served drink at their tables.

I would return to this hotel. The Luas goes right past it and its close to the train station. Its close to major tourist attractions as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank hgst
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ashling. We are constantly upgrading and bringing on our bedrooms and we thank you for your comments and take all on board. We were delighted to learn that you will return to the Ashling in the future, and we look forward to welcoming you back.