“Great base from which to explore Dublin and beyond”
Review of Ashling Hotel

Ashling Hotel
Ranked #17 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Great base from which to explore Dublin and beyond”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the Ashling and were very pleased. The location is very convenient (LUAS & Heuston Station are very close) but not in the heart of downtown so you do have quiet evenings. All of the staff members we interacted with were very courteous and helpful. The full Irish breakfast offered each morning in Chesterfields was superb. It was an absolutely wonderful way to start a sightseeing day. Breakfast officially starts at 6:45 a.m. However, we had a couple of out of town day trips with earlier starts. On those days, Chesterfields did offer a continental breakfast which was much appreciated. With respect to the rooms, we stayed in one of the Classic rooms which was clean and comfortable. It was on the 3rd floor on the Montpelier Hill side and did not appear to be air conditioned. This wasn't an issue in the fall but could be during the summer. About the only downside was the spotty reception of the hotel's wireless signal. You really had to be in or near the lobby area to hold a wireless connection. This is really a "must have" amenity for today's traveler, especially those on business trips. Management is aware of the issue - they were actively soliciting comments from guests on this topic during our stay. Given the level of service exhibited in other areas, I am confident that this issue will be addressed. Overall, we would recommend the Ashling to anyone visiting Dublin. When we return to Dublin, we will without question book again at the Ashling.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just stayed here last night and I can't say that I had a good experience. Checking in, I know the reception staff are busy, but it doesn't give them the excuse to be impatient, uncoordinated and confused. A few hours before checking in, I sent a mail detailing the credit card which I will use. I used a form that they provided a few hours back. When I got there, they had no idea what I was talking about. Checking out was the same story. They told me that they didn't have access to the email address (info@ashlinghotel.ie) that I was exchanging credit card information with.

The room size was average. I'm a short Asian girl, but I have difficulty pulling my chair on the desk so that I could properly. The chair was hitting the bed. The room was clean, the wifi was good - better than some of the hotels that I've been in here in Dublin. The upload speed was not bad, however the download speed could be faster. The design was quite efficient with all of the power outlets positioned in convenient locations near the bed and on the work desk. The airconditioning was a bit noisy, the rooms facing the street (Luas) are noisy. If you want a quiet room, maybe you should get the rooms facing on the other side. There is no small fridge. The in-room instant coffee that they provide was quite good, though.

The restaurants (bar and the dining) at the ground floor seem to be always full. The staff in the restaurant did not seem to be warm and friendly. That night when I stayed, the restaurant was full so I was turned away. I went outside and it was past 8PM so some of the shops around the Ashling Hotel were already closed. Good thing, a couple of meters away, there was a Chinese Takeaway Riri's. So I just got food from there.

The bed was great - very comfortable! I just wished that my aircon/heat wasn't so noisy. I could have turned it off, but I wanted heat more than I wanted to have a quiet sleep. :\ I couldn't have teh silence anyway because my room was facing the street.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, maybe you should get the rooms at the back of the hotel. The ones facing t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My second stay in this hotel was a delight. The twin room was spacious, clean and had everything you would need in it. The staff were helpful throughout and provided good local knowledge of events and directions. I had a meal in the bar and could not fault the service or the meal. All in all a most pleasant stay at a well located hotel which I intend to use again.

• Stayed November 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a lovely hotel with friendly staff that is right on the DASH line and right across the street from the main train station. It's also about a 20 minute walk to the city centre and on nice days very pleasant since you simply walk down the river. Although at night you do need to take a cab to get to the Temple Bar area. This hotel is also in walking distance to the Jameson Distillery. The hotel also had restuarants and bars onsight, but it was more of a quiet/business environment than a tourist/social scene. The room was was decorated, clean and spacious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I dropped one star only because the Ashling is not convenient to downtown. Otherwise it's a great hotel. Clean, comfortable, great restaurant and bar, and nice staff - very pleasant hotel. The Guinness Storehouse is only a few block walk and the bus and train station are literally 100 meters away. It is the last stop for the express airport bus when you come into Dublin which is a minor inconvenience as you ride along watching everyone else get off at their stops. But when you go back to the airport, you are first on and can wave to all the people at later bus stops who are left standing because the bus is now full. This was our only night in Dublin and I was not at all disappointed with the accommodations.

Room Tip: I think it would be difficult to choose a bad one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked a family room for 4 and got a great rate. The room was a little small (and the double bed was really small) but we could over look that for the value it offered. Excellent breakfast with everyone well catered for.

The hotel is in a handy location right on the tram line to O'Connell Street. Perfect for Henry St shopping, cinema etc. The Zoo is a short walk away as it the Guinness tour. Not as handy for Grafton street though, which is about a 25 minute walk or 12 Euro taxi ride away.

The hotel was having WiFi problems when we visited which was a frustration. Our family seem to see WiFi in the same category as drinking water these days :)

Special mention for the staff - very friendly from the first phone call to book right through to our checkout.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a businessman who constantly travels. I've stayed in a fair few hotels when in Dublin.

This is by far the best.

Cleanliness, service, and the general layout of the hotel is second to none. It feels very secure and the food on offer in the restaurant is of a fantastic standard.

Highly recommend!