“Well located”

Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Stratford, Canada
“Well located”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Ashling Hotel, Dublin , is well situated. Comfortable ,with all the right amenities. Rooms are a good size, and the beds comfortable, The rooms are clean. The bathroom well laid out and very nicely decorated.
Lounge area is a inviting.
Excellent buffet breakfast. Easy to travel from the location to other parts of the city.
This hotel is one I would stay in again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My partner and I visited Dublin to celebrate my birthday and had a great time in and around Temple Bar, Grafton Street, Guinness storehouse and Jameson Distillery. All of which were walking distance from the hotel. On arrival the staff we very welcoming and polite. We were 6 hours early before our check in time as we had an early flight, nevertheless the receptionist (Kate I think her name was) did everything she could to get a room cleaned and ready for us ASAP. Amazing room, friendly staff, faultless stay!

p.s amazing shower!!!

Room Tip: Superior Room, southside
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan L
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I browsed Trip Advisor before booking this hotel, as I am prone to do these days. I was very pleased with the choice and here is a summary of the hotel:

Location: Absolutely superb. I was on a delayed flight from London Heathrow on a Friday night so you can imagine my delight when I got off the Airport bus to find that the Ashling Hotel was literally across the street from Heuston Station. This is also perfect for catching buses into the city and there is a tram not 200m away from the hotel. I walked back from St Stephen's Green to the hotel one day and that is quite doable but for those who are tired or cannot walk that distance or if the weather is too inclement, rest assured in the knowledge that there is excellent transport from the city centre back to the hotel.

Staff: All staff were friendly to me. In fact, when I asked about the WiFi (it was not working in my room) they accommodated me by changing my room to one that is closer to the router and I was able to connect. I found that very good, considering I was there on an Irish Bank Holiday so it could have meant I had to stay put and be done with it.

Rooms: After a couple of bad hotel experiences relating to sleep comfort, I was delighted to find that the beds were absolutely wonderful and I had no trouble sleeping, despite the noise that can creep in from facing the street, which was the case for me in both rooms. They were clean, well presented, had a flat screen TV if so you desired to watch, a nice large in-room safe for all your valuables and a bath/shower combo if you wanted to have a relaxing bath. There was an iron, a hairdryer and all the bits one normally associates with a good hotel stay. Extra pillows and a blanket were in the cupboard and there was heating/aircon in the room.

Value: this is where it falls down a bit. I paid €228 for two nights and breakfast was NOT included in this price. I would have appreciated a very basic breakfast but I did not pay for the offerings that they had, instead walking down to a cafe in the vicinity and enjoying a lovely breakfast and hot chocolate for €9.50. Also, the WiFi IS a problem. If you are unfortunate enough to get a room with poor proximity to the router and they cannot accommodate a room change, you will not be able to connect. Furthermore, even when you do connect, it is a weak and slow signal. It did the job for me but if you intend to work or otherwise, you will find it frustrating. Best signal is in the lobby - not very practical.

Finally, I have to comment on the poor organisation at the end when bad communication resulted in my nearly being charged twice for the room. It was resolved but made me feel a bit uneasy and she did not return my receipt so I have asked for a copy to be mailed to me. I hope it is. Other than that the stay was pleasant and I would likely use the Ashling again if I return to Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street if you are a light sleeper. Ask for a room close to the WiFi r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Krinkles28
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My son and I were on the way to Cavan Country with a few days in Dublin prior to going there. The Ashling was a wise choice thanks the location and to Simon the Bar Manager. The front desk was busy and very preoccupied. On our first night there we happened to chat with Simon who was more than happy to suggest some wonderful restaurants and some interesting places to see on the Temple Bar area. Without him, we would have been lost.
The rooms were clean and lovely and Hueston Station across the street made getting around very easy.
Breakfast was lovely and varied.
We would return there again.....hoping that Simon was there to great us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VMaureen
Kittery, Maine
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just returned from Ireland last week. Stayed at the Ashling upon arrival in Ireland as part of a tour group and stayed there again for 2 nights at the end of our tour. This was my 10th trip to Ireland and initially had doubts about the location of the hotel upon receiving our itinerary. Those doubts quickly disappeared! The hotel room was spotless, staff were outstanding particularly the day manager and breakfast staff/hostess. The tram to downtown was right outside the hotel and even though our room faced the street, never heard noise from outside. Guinness factory is just across the street and hotel is close to museum and Phoenix Park. The tram ride to town was quick, clean and inexpensive. Hotel staff very helpful with tram info. One of my traveling companions had her birthday and the hotel surprised our group of 6 with champagne at breakfast! Definitely stay here again. Oh, hotel has a luggage scale so we weighed our luggage before heading to airport--made adjustments to meet airline luggage weight requirement - what a great idea! Thanks, Ashling!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathy40699
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I was in Dublin for a business meeting with other leading industry players. I could not understand that the girl on the reception that was doing the check in was unable to allocate rooms for my colleagues and I. Please could these staff receive proper training on your PMS.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Glenn P
Denmark
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and it was definitely ok. The room (superior something) seemed clean, almost without clutter (not a lot of small signs and stickers telling you what not to do...) and with very good lighting. Some noise from the tram in the river-facing room. The windows do not open so you must rely on the ac.
The bathroom is nice and a bit luxurious but to go with that good feeling someone has put a hairdryer-machine on the wall Furthermore you'll need to have the figure of a giraffe to use it because of a very awkward position! Other cost-cutting or "customers'll probably steal" actions are a very basic remote control and the fixed hangers.
I used the computer in the reception area and it was ok (something like 10 minutes for 1 euro).
Breakfast was nice and not expensive considering what you got. Somewhat crowded though.
I liked the location of the hotel: a bit outside the very noisy city center and close to public transport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo