“Super Convenient and Top Quality”
Review of Ashling Hotel

Ashling Hotel
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The Ashling is a very modern and top quality hotel. I would rate it at the high end of business class; probably four stars. Very clean and very well appointed. Its location is great; just across from the Hueston train station which makes it great for convenient and inexpensive bus transport to/from airport. The LUAS (Light rail/street car) runs right in front of hotel with stop about 200 meters up the street. It covers all of the city north of the Liffey; just get on the rail and get off and walk across a bridge to the get to the more active area on the south side. Very convenient to the wonderful park and zoo. The breakfast buffet was superb; everything you could imagine, but if you wanted something else I suspect they would have rounded it up. The front desk staff had good suggestions about pubs and dining. We arrived in mid-morning, checked in administratively and stored our bags, then toured for the day. When we returned they gave us our key. There are a couple of good pubs a block away. A first class hotel in a quiet area that is convenient for getting everywhere in Dublin. Sounds like a winner to me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dick P
Write a ReviewReviews (4,695)

Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a luxury hotel. Nice clean room, the best breakfast we had anywhere in Ireland. A bit far from the center, but the tram is outside. We had booked an ugraded room to get a view of the Liffey. The room was perfect and it was heaven staying inside staring out on a rainy cold and windy Dublin with Guiness on the other side of the river.
Why poor: The upgrading was payed twice for the same room the same day! When by mail asking for an explanation we had no reaction after 2 attempts in 2 weeks. Service when booking was quick and polite, but not later on. Their negligence to reply leaves me with a bad taste and explains the bad rating of an otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marthinsen
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here first weekend in June , luas red line just up road very convenient for city.

Staff very helpful upgraded my mother so she would be on same floor as she would be nervous on her own.
Excellent breakfast and lovely big bar with nice food.

Met some nice people in bar so very friendly too.

Very central to heuston stn across road.
We had lovely meal friday night in 'Juno's ' just down road very friendly and lovely wine , He made my little girl special meal and was lovely to her.
Booked FX Grill at Ryans and staff were appallingly rude , I was embarassed my daughter could experience a snooty maitre d putting people in their place and made us feel very uncomfortable . Food lovely but whole experience not worth it .
Highly recommend Ashling hotel for families etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Very close to Heuston Station and LUAS (light rail tram system) is very easy to reach the city center and its attractions and even if you have to go to the Convention Center the trip is very easy and direct.
Clean, clean, clean, well furnished and with very good wi-fi system (free of charge). Excellent breakfast and average choice if you want to have dinner in the restaurant's hotel.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in June 2012. I arrived at the hotel at 9 AM after a flight from the US, but unfortunately I had to wait until around noon to get into a room. This isn't the hotel's fault of course, it was just a full house and people hadn't checked out yet. The good news is that there is a large waiting area with many sofas where a number of folks like me camped out for a few hours while in an exhausted state. This area is next to the bar and we threw down a few Irish Coffees while waiting. It was the only way we could get through it.

The room was very nice and large by European standards. I had no view but it was quiet and the bed was good. The breakfast is 12 euro and although that's a little high, there is a good assortment of food and if you are hungry in the morning, it's worth it. The restaurant is quite elegant, but we only ate breakfast there.

The location is excellent for transport. Five minute walk from Hueston Rail Station where the airport bus stops. The LUAS streetcar and the Hop-On/Off Dublin tourist bus also stops there. So when we were ready to go out and about, we didn't have to walk far to get going.

The hotel is also walking distance (maybe 10 minutes) of the Guinness Storehouse. The Temple Bar area is a little farther, but you can take the LUAS and be there in 10-15 minutes.

The only complaint I heard was that although the hotel is very convenient to transport, it's not in the Temple Bar or downtown area. That's true, but for about $150/night US (that's what I paid) this is a very nice hotel and a good value, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichaelMorrison
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is a nice hotel with modern furnishings. The staff was professional and friendly. The front desk agent who checked us out even took the time to help us with our tax forms. The location is a 5-10 minute ride from the touristy parts of town and offers a fairly easy commute to the airport. The rooms were very clean, but the internet was a little spotty. The bar is a little pricy, but has a great selection and atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Overall a frustrating and disappointing hotel.

Wi-fi is so important to a business traveler; the internet available I'm this hotel was terrible, slow and buggy, and not even available in many rooms. The desk confirmed this for me only after I was checked in. I had to spend time in the lobby every night just to get connected with my laptop.

The room was fine I guess, the bed wasn't quite comfortable. The room was very hot and there was no air conditioning available, and the windows only opened a small bit.

The shower was terrible, either scalding hot or cold-to-lukewarm.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business