“Great Castle Hotel Between Dublin City Center & The Airport”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Spokane Valley, Washington
“Great Castle Hotel Between Dublin City Center & The Airport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

When planning our 2 week Ireland itinerary my wife had one request... she wanted to stay in a Castle in Ireland. I found the Clontarf Castle Hotel online and booked our last night in Ireland there since it is relatively close to the airport (15 minutes). When we arrived my wife was so pleased, with the completion of their recent renovations, the hotel looks amazing.

We checked in to the Royal Suite and it was amazing. The red wall paper was a bit overwhelming to me, but after looking around the suite, I quickly realized it was one of the nicest rooms I ever stayed in. We arrived in the evening so the views of Dublin from the top of the castle were fantastic. In the Royal Suite, the dining area has a glass wall on three sides. The electronics in the room are state of the art. The bathroom had a heavenly shower and a bear claw bathtub.

The best thing about the room was the four post king sized bed. It was so comfortable, we agreed it felt as cozy as sleeping on a marshmellow.

Breakfast was included in the rate and there was a nice selection of cold items and/or you can order off the hot breakfast menu. All the food was delicious.

As mentioned in previous reviews, if you want to be in the heart of Dublin this isn't a good location for you. Clontarf is a suburb just north of Dublin's city center. We chose the hotel because it was close to the city center and close enough to the airport to catch a mid morning flight without a problem. Traveling to the airport in the morning from this hotel is going against rush hour traffic in Dublin.

I've traveled to a lot of very nice hotels, but this one has class, has character and has a wonderful history. Yes, the rooms are modern, but the medieval theme has been carried through the entire hotel.

I would highly recommend this castle hotel to anyone who wants a unique castle experience at an affordable price.

• Liked — Great beds
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deontas
Sales_Coordinator, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2007
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you and your wife were very pleased with our recent renovations.
You are indeed correct when you say that it is a "unique Castle experience" as we incorporate a beautiful blend of old and new whilst maintaining our traditional medieval theme.
Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Sales Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

The Clontarf was our last place to stay in Ireland and we loved it. It's not budget by any means, but at 123. euro per room (1 double for the 2 adults and 1 twin for the two kids: 9 and 13), for a total of 246 for one night, which included an enormous breakfast at no extra charge, I really didnt think the price was out of line compared to some places we looked at (like the Radisson in Athlone which wanted 255 euro for a family room for one night with NO breakfast). The Clontarf's accomodations were deluxe, the rooms very comfortable and spacious, the castle surroundings were very nice, and the staff very friendly and helpful. Our kids loved it. The food in the restaurants, and the service, were top of the line with no attitude. (I highly recommend the duck!) The bed and breakfast buffet had so many items you could have gone back for seconds and thirds and not eaten the same thing twice. All in all, the Clontarf was a great way to end our lovely vacation in Ireland.

• Liked — Upscale, great amenities, yet very, very friendly service.
  • Disliked — Hmmmm....
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted to hear that yourself and your family had a wonderful time in Clontarf Castle.
I would also like to thank you for your feedback as we really value our guests' views on our hotel.
On behalf of all staff here, we very much look forward to seeing you in the Castle in the near future.

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

I have never stayed in the castle before but have attended a couple of weddings a couple of years ago but once again having being invited to a wedding and making a long weekend of it decided to stay for three nights in a King Suite.

I was amazed at the refurbishment that has recently taken place, it certainly has dragged the castle into the 21st century wihout losing any of its charm, it is tastefully decorated and they have a lovely new reception area which is nice to sit in and relax.

My first comment would be on the staff, they must have a great staff training programme, whilst the majority of them were foreign(which is typical in Irish hotels today) they were the most polite staff I have come across in a long way and they all had a good grasp of english which made a pleasent change.

We stayed in a King suite which was stunning, beautiful contemporary decor with a lovely four poster bed, fantastic bathroom with a free standing bath and a huge seperate shower. The room is paritally sectioned off with a lovely lounge area, massive plasma tv and the most wonderful views over the Dublin skyline. A turn down service is provided every night with some nice mints left on your bed.

We ate in the Fahrenheit Grill the first night, a delicious meal and it was nice to see they make use of the fact that they are on the coast so there is a good fish selection. The menu is not huge but there is enough choice to suit everyone, one of the best meals out we have had in a long time. Breakfast was also very good, it was a buffett that you served yourself at, it was replinished at regular intervals so everything was hot and fresh.

The wedding we attended was excellent so top marks to the hotel on getting everything just right.

The new bar Indigo is very nice, a good contrast to Knights Bar which is what I would call a typical old fashioned Irish Bar, Indigo is bright, modern and the food is also excellent.

I can't really think of a bad thing to say about this hotel, if I was being picky I would say no mini bars in the room which is a real annoyance to me, I hate having to wait on room service to get a drink. Also Indigo was closed on the Sunday night which was disappointing as we preferred this to the other bar, I don't like it when there are only two choices and one of those is taken away!!

But those two things aside I really love the Clontarf Castle and congratulations to the management on the great job they are doing. I have been looking for a new hotel to use as a base for travel to Ireland(I'm Irish living in UK so travel back every 6 weeks so ) and I think we can say the Clontarf is it, can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — no mini bar
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that the wedding you attended was an enjoyable experience and that our hotel was to your standard.
I am also pleased to announce the introduction of mini bars to all of our bedrooms, so now your stay can be that extra bit special.
Once again, thanks for your review and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance in the future.

USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

We stayed at the Clontarf Castle for just one night. For that, it was fine. We arrived quite early and could not check in right away, but we expected that - I don't think there's a hotel I've ever stayed in where you can check in before 1 p.m. We just stored our luggage and went off to check out Dublin. It really is quite far from the city centre and I highly, HIGHLY recommend taking the bus even if you are an avid walker so as not to wear yourself out immediately. However, the front desk was not at all helpful with change - they "ran out" - and while I understand that, it didn't look very good for the concierge to tell us "Ask at the front desk for bus fare change" and then they didn't have it. Bar and restaurant had no change either. Still, the rooms were clean and comfy and the staff pretty nice, so, not too much to complain about here. For the cost, though, would probably book something closer to the city next time.

• Liked — Comfy beds
  • Disliked — Too far from city
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Stow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

My sisters, my niece, and my daughter stayed in the Clontraf Castle Hotel for 2 nights at the end of June (25th and 26th). Why did we pick this hotel? My niece wanted to stay in a castle and this was a castle. I knew that it was somewhat out of the way when I booked it, as we wanted to do sight seeing in Dublin on Saturday and Sunday. But, the hotel was really out of the way but in a very nice residential neighborhood. We didn't rent a car and walked into Dublin Center on Saturday morning -- we were told it was 2 miles, but it was really much longer -- it was really a very long walk. We didn't do that again, we used the bus which was somewhat convenient. It's very convenient from the hotel end of the trip (on and off) but not so convenient from the Dublin side to catch the bus. Exact bus fare is expected, so save your EURO change. We found the hotel staff very helpful. We didn't book the correct number of sleeping arrangements for the 5 of us and needed a cot at the last minute. The staff was very helpful and polite for something that was clearly our mistake. We found the food in the pub very good and we did eat breakfast in the hotel each morning. While the breakfast is somewhat expensive, it was very good.

• Liked — We liked that it was a Castle
  • Disliked — It's somewhat out of the way, if you want to do the tourist things in Dublin Center
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank AGMoore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

Clontarf Castle Hotel was a great end to our trip through Ireland. Wonderful rooms, most comfortable beds I found throughout our travels in the country. Part of the hotel is a castle built in 1820, and its quite charming. Probably not the place to stay if you want to see Dublin, but quite nice if you want to get away. Some other reviews complained of late night noise at the hotel, but we heard none of that, and there was a wedding at the hotel the night we spent there. Knights bar was fun for drinks and pub food, but the Fahrenheit Restaurant was a big disappointment, staff, starting with maitre'de need changing, food was nothing special.Next time we will stay at the hotel and eat somewhere else.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Fahrenheit restaurant
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
new castle, delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Clontarf at the end of May for holiday. The drive in was a little disappointing. There was really nothing special around it. The front desk seemed overwhelmed, and kept telling us we would have to wait for someone else to help us (we were the only ones there at the desk). When we were given our room, it was on the first floor (oh well, view of the parking lot), but it had a twin bed. We asked to be moved, but there was no other room in the hotel. They pushed our beds together and just layed the blankets over top of one another (they claimed to not have a full comforter). The room was nice and clean so that was no big deal, however the shower would shoot water out every so often after you used it. (We woke up in the middle of the night thinking someone was using the shower!).
The host in the dining room was snobbish (to us and others) and did not want to be bothered. The front desk did not seem to want to help us with things like money exchange (they advertise that they do this, that was one of the selling points for us) and reservations. There was also a wedding and construction going on at the same time. Not a good time to visit this hotel. Also, if you are looking to stay in a castle (like we were), don't go here.

Food was good, room was clean, bed was comfortable, but we couldn't wait to leave everyday.

Stayed July 2007