“Something special”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 27, 2007

Stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel for one night with our 8yr old daughter. The room was beautiful and luxurious with two very comfortable double beds. There was nothing to fault with the room or the service. We had dinner in the restaurant that night and was treated to impecable service. The food was wonderful but on the pricey side. It was worth being spoilt though. Breakfast was plentiful although I'm not a fan of eggs in bain maries.

I would recommend anyone staying here. The unique facade of the building and it's wonderfully interesting interior (try to snare the little nook of comfy armchairs in the candlelit alcove to the left of reception for after dinner drinks).

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ozallens
Sales_Coordinator, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2007

Dear Guest,

I was absolutely delighted when I read your review on TripAdvisor, and I wish to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback on your visit.
On behalf of all staff here at Clontarf Castle Hotel, we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales & Marketing Department

Write a ReviewReviews (4,248)

Reviewed May 23, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break in January. Beautiful hotel with an impressive facade and reception.

The rooms were excellent with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in (2 doubles). Everything in the room was spotless, wide screen wall mounted t.v.

This hotel is nice for a relaxing break if you don't want to be in the center of Dublin and is fine if you have a car with you to explore.

The restaurant is very expensive but the bar food is reasonable and good quality. No music in the bar on Friday or Saturday night and although busy is lacking in any atmosphere.

You may feel isolated here if you aren't prepared to pay for expensive Dublin taxi's (if you can get one on a Saturday night)

Good for a relaxing weekend but with no leisure facilities and no music a bit dull!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ceadmile

Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted that you were impressed with our hotel and bedrooms. You are indeed correct about our beds here as we are regularly complimented on how comfortable they are.
Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we very much take into consideration any feedback we receive from our guests and appreciate you taking the time to let us know your views and opinions.
We hopefully look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2007

This hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are very nice, the beds are comfortable. The restaurant is insanely expensive ($62 for two breakfast buffets!!) but decently good. Our main problem was that we arrived at around 10:30 a.m. exhausted from our international flight. We had told them we would be there early, which is normal for travelers from the U.S. When we got there we were told that the room would not be ready until 2:00. Granted, that is a normal check in time, but I expect them to make special accomodations for international travelers considering how much they charge for the rooms. There is no reason why they couldn't have prepared a room for us or at least given us a place to wait and lie down. We went to have the aforementioned incredibly expensive breakfast and then sat in the lobby for over two hours falling asleep. By the time we finally got into a room and slept a little bit, our day was gone. When I pay that much for a room, I expect better service and more accommodation.

But I agree--the concierge was fabulous!

Keep in mind that this hotel is not in a great location, but does have a bus running nearby that goes to the city center. It is also fairly inexpensive to take a cab there from city center.

• Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank katshif

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review on Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am delighted that you found the hotel "gorgeous" and our bedrooms "nice" and "comfortable".
I do however, wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused, especially after your long journey.
As check-in is officially 2pm, we do however try to take this into consideration for our International travellers and if there are any rooms available earlier we try our utmost to accommodate our guests as soon as we can.
I do very much hope that this didn't effect your stay too much, and if given the opportunity we can accommodate you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2007

We were a group f 8 people. We all loved the hotel. Super breakfast. Super atmosphere. A very good place for our first night in Ireland. The city center is a short bus ride or cab away. We chose to take a cab. It was 12 euros. We found a place nearby for dinner then came back to the hotel for dessert. I would have to agree that the service in the bar wasn't that great. But I noticed that the service in Ireland is defnitely not up to the standards of Americans. Everyplace we went in Ireland we had to wait a long time for the check. So we started asking for it when they took away our plates. This worked great.

All 8 of us would agree that we would stay at this hotel again. Vijay was fabulous!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank InMotionTherapy
Sales_Coordinator, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2007

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Clontarf Castle Hotel.
My sincere apologies in regards to the service in the bar. We always try to maintain an efficient service for our guests and hope that this didn't in any way effect your stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2007

I stayed at Clontarf Castle hotel for 3 nights last week and was very excited because of the reviews I had read on TA. I must admit that the hotel was definitely up to my expectations in every aspect. The room was spacious and elegantly decorated, the bed was really comfortable as some other travellers have already pointed out before. The bathroom was very modern and had a very beautiful and comfortable shower. Towels were changed every single day, even though we didn't leave them on the floor. Staff at front desk was extremely helpful and polite and kindly replied to all of our inquiries. There was only a minor problem when we arrived because the room we were initially assigned (on the third floor) was a twin room and not a double as I requested, but the guy at the reception immediately moved us to the room next door, which was in fact a double room.
Our package also included breakfast, which was served at the Fahrenheit Grill. On Sunday morning we had a cold and hot buffet , whereas on the following days we only had a cold buffet and different types of breakfast (including full Irish breakfast --- excellent, but too much for my stomach which is only used to one coffee in the morning...so the next day I switched again to continental breakfast) served at your table upon request. The only thing I didn't like too much as regards breakfast is that it was a little bit too crowded, and waiters seemed to be constantly in a hurry, moving rapidly through the tables in every moment...
As regards public transportation, it is true that the stop of the 130 bus is just round the corner, but I would advise you to take a little walk until the stop on Clontarf Road (more or less opposite the Yacht pub), since you will spare about 10 minutes through narrow lanes and road in Clontarf. If you plan to go back to the hotel after midnight, every day except on Sundays there is the Nitelink bus which is very convenient (n. 31N from D'Olier Street in the city centre to Clontarf Road, the 2nd stop after the Yacht pub).
Overall our stay at Clontarf Castle was absolutely relaxing and comfortable, I really hope to go back there next time we'll stay in Dublin. By the way, restoration works didn't affect our stay at all and finally, try to book through their website because rates are great.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Polpetta1980
Sales_Coordinator, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2007

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am very glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the bedrooms to be "spacious and elegantly decorated". After recently undergoing a €10 million refurbishment, we look forward to hearing our guests feedback on the general look of the hotel as it makes the work all worthwhile.
Your tip to fellow travellers is indeed correct. Guests can either get the 130 bus just around the corner from the hotel or walk a little further to the Clontarf Road and cut out a number of stops on your journey.

Many thanks again for all your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again to Clontarf Castle.

Reviewed April 21, 2007

We stayed for four days while at a vacation/work trip. Beautiful property in residential area, under rennovation while we were there (April 2007) but that did not impact the stay negatively. Great bar, restaurant and nightclub on property. A 12 minute walk to train stop and then about 15 minute ride into Dublin City Centre. Modern, nice rooms, flat screen tv.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank MichiganKansan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you like our "new look" Castle.
Our mix of old and new means that as a hotel we have something to suit everybodys' taste. Be it our chic, modern Indigo Lounge or our more traditional Knight's Bar, our guests can relax and enjoy the surroundings of a 19th century Castle.
Once again, many thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay went and we very much hope that you visit Clontarf Castle again very shortly.

Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel in April 2007 for our Honeymoon. From the moment you see the hotel it looks wonderful allbeit building work was in progress but this did not hamper our stay.

We were meet by very friendly staff who could not do enough for us at all times. We had to change room because of a problem with the bathroom but this was quickly sorted out with no hesitation and we were lucky to end up with a "executive room" which was superb. I had read other reviews of this hotel on this site and we totally agree that the beds were to die for.

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone and hopefully we can return on our first wedding anniversary next year.

We agreed that this is the best hotel that we have stayed in and congratulate all the hotel staff making our stay with them excellent.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honeymoonersdorset
Sales_Coordinator, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2007

Dear Guests,

On behalf of everyone here at Clontarf Castle Hotel I wish to thank you both for your lovely review.
My apologies for the problem with the bathroom, however I'm delighted that your room was upgraded and your honeymoon was made that extra bit special.
Clontarf Castle is indeed perfect for a weekend getaway or honeymoon as the romantic setting ensures our guests to a magical atmosphere that is unforgettable.
We very much look forward to welcoming you both back next year, and in the meantime if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.