“The most enjoyable hospitality experience I have ever had. Period.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Las Vegas, NV
“The most enjoyable hospitality experience I have ever had. Period.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

I live in Las Vegas, the high-end hotel capital of the world and one of the largest collections of restaurants found anywhere. I have also been all over the USA and Mexico and stayed in a huge variety of hotel properties in my travels.

Not once have I experienced the commitment to excellence I found at Clontarf Castle. After virtually every exchange with a staff member I found myself saying "Wow." From the front desk to restaurant staff to housekeeping, every encounter was an excersize in exemplary customer service.

The rooms were incredibly comfortable, tastefully appointed, well-equipped and quiet. The food was ridiculously good, meticulously prepared and served by the most knowledgeable and friendly staff I have had the pleasure to dine with. The front desk and concierge staff were warm and welcoming, with a complete understanding of the Dublin area, Ireland itself, and precisely what it would take to make an American tourist feel welcome and cared for.

This was my first real vacation in over 10 years and I cannot imagine a finer, more rewarding experience, due largely to the time I spent on the hotel property itself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KarynJohnson, Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review and thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at Clontarf Castle Hotel. Hopefully your next trip over won't be as far away and we can see you again soon. Please do let us know if you are thinking of coming over again and we would be delighted to take care of you.
Marketing Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

I stayed at Clontarf castle with my partner for one night on the recommendation of my parents. I was plesently surprised by the surroundings and the hotel itself- it really was stunning. The staff were more than friendly and very helpful, the chamber maids were smiling and very polite. The hotel looked well kept and very clean, more than you get in some other 4* hotels!
We had paid for a room upgrade, the room was stunning and we were very happy with it initially until we discovered that there was no bath, no dressing gowns, no personal touches at all. We requested a change of room but were told the only one available was a smoking room and this did not appeal to us (as non smokers!). We were not offered any upgrade to a room that met our needs.
We had booked into the Farenheit Grill for dinner and although the service was fantastic, the food was terrible! If i hadnt prepaid for the dinner, I would not have been prepared to pay for my starter (Goats cheese bruchetta that was so hard, I could not bite into it and was worried that it would strike the dinners beside me if i tried to cut it!)
Breakfast was fab though. I would advise people to skip dinner and eat lots of breakfast!!
All in all, I did really like the hotel and its surroundings and would go back to Clontarf castle but I think that the hotel could be so much better with just a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about the property and our team here at Clontarf Castle Hotel. We are indeed very sorry and disappointed to read about the service you experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that this is by no means normal practice and we normally pride ourselves with a good quality product as well as a warm, friendly and efficient guest experience. Your comments regarding the food and room upgrades have been shared amongst all of our team. If you are thinking of returning to the castle please do contact me personally and I will do everything possible to look after your booking. We hope you can forgive us and allow us a second chance to offer you the true Clontarf Castle Experience.
madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

the place is really peculiar, nice and charmful but the welcoming attitude and the service is even better
perfect for both business and pure enjoying

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We were pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and we hope we can offer you the Castle experience again soon. If you are thinkining of coming over again Please do contact me personally and I will look after you.
Outer Hebrides, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stayed three night at Clonarf Castle and loved it. We didn't get to see all we wanted to in Dublin so will definately stay at Clontarf Castle if we return again.

The entrance is lovely and the reception staff were friendly and very helpful. The room was warm, comfortable and had everything we needed for our stay. No complaints food-wise - great breakfasts and the meals we had there were very good too.

Only a ten minute bus ride into the centre so it was quick and easy to nip and and out of the city centre.

Recommended.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

This is a modern renovation literally built around an historic castle. While it may upset some historians it has quite tastefully preserved the historical building for future generations to enjoy. The rooms are ultra comfortable, staff helpful, facilities excellent. There is free internet in the lobby, but it works spasmodically. Hotel food is great, breakfast excellent, overall value for money.
Particularly like the digital room information that gives the outside temp and feels like temp.
There is free parking outside which is great if you are touring around by car, otherwise it is public transport into Dublin central. Really would recommend where you have your own transport. Booking through hotels own web site.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

I traveled to Ireland with my eldest daughter from Feb 17, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010. This was a trip that was a decade in the making and my daughter set up our last night in Ireland at the Clontarf Castle. A wonderful blend of old and new, great service and wonderful food. As my daughter had set this up as a birthday gift for me, I was surprised with a slice of birthday cake once we had unpacked.
The service at the front desk was great and a special thanks to Denise who worked with my daughter to make this a very memorable experience.
The restaurants were filled with locals which tells me the food and service are good all the time. Food was fabulous and the breakfast buffet was great.
Will visit again one day!

• Stayed February 2010
Middlesex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

Stayed for two nights on a three day city break. Our package included dinner on one night and two days worth of breakfasts and cream teas. As breakfast would have cost an eyewatering 23 euros each, that was well-worth it!
They looked after our bag as we arrived long before our check-in time (early morning flight!) whilst we spent the day in Dublin and our check-in, when we got back, was smooth. The standard room was larger than normal, as was the bed, which was even more comfortable than our bed at home (and that says something). I was expecting a little more character than we got, but basically we found a standard hotel built behind the original castle which houses the public areas.
Room furnishings were a little tired and stained, but the decor in the rest of the hotel was interesting (eclectic!). The 'best' interior design award seems a little exaggerated! Certainly the most unusual! The maids took hygiene seriously-I saw a lot of polishing and vacuuming of the public areas! However room service trays outside bedroom doors remained uncollected all day!
They could have been a bit more generous with pillows, bath towels and toiletries-these were minimal (only one pillow each, one bath towel between us until I found another hidden in the wardrobe, no shower hat). I have been offered much more in quantity and quality (respectively) in many inferior grade hotels. However the hair dryer worked and there were tea/coffee facilities in the room.
The food in the bar and the restaurant was mostly good, and the atmosphere in the bar was lively (loud even!). A pot of Earl Grey tea at breakfast would have been nice rather than a DIY teabag in a cup!
The restaurant claims to stay open until 10.30pm however we caused some consternation when we arrived for our dinner at 9.45pm.
There was free internet access (as we didn't have a laptop with us to use the free broadband).
The staff were very helpful and the waiters remembered our idiosyncrasies, which I was quite impressed with!
The location doesn't matter if you have a car or don't mind using a taxi or bus, as these were convenient and plentiful. We bought a three day bus ticket which we could also use for the airport transfer and this was amazing value.
We would have no hesitation in staying there on a return trip to Dublin, if we weren't tempted to stay in the middle of Dublin (by way of comparison).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple