“Enjoyable long weekend in Dublin”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We took a long-weekend trip to Dublin from 3 July to 6 July 2009 with a group that totaled 9 adults. We stayed at Clontarf Castle Hotel for the duration of the trip and found the hotel very relaxing and comfortable. The exterior is simply beautiful, although the interior is a more modern remodel that caused the hotel to lose a bit of the charm of staying in a castle. Our room was very small, even by Euopean standards, but it really didn't matter because we never planned to sit around in our room. We spent many long hours sight-seeing through the Ring of Kerry & the city of Dublin, so the hotel was meant to recharge our batteries for the next day's outings. Our room was on the 4th floor, so we didn't hear a thing from the lounge or restaurants downstairs. The bed was divine!! My husband & I want one for our home!!

We ate at both the Knight's Bar & Farenheit. The Irish Stew at the Knight's Bar was lovely, but I didn't really enjoy paying 20-ish Euro for my steak at Farenheit. Especially considering the steak was a bit tough and the side dishes were served "family-style" from small sauce pans. This was supposed to be the more upscale restaurant so we definately weren't expecting to have to serve ourselves from worn-out looking pots.

The hotel's cleanliness was maintained to very high standards. We had absolutely no complaints there. The reception and conceirge staff were very friendly and EXTREMELY helpful in making suggestions and calling a "people mover" taxi. This is what the Irish called the larger vans that could accomadate our whole group. We found all the locals to be friendly and welcoming. We are already planning another Ireland trip for Spring 2010. The only reason we won't be staying at Clontarf again is because we want to see a different part of Ireland and so we won't be staying in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
TCahalane, Internet Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel.

I am extremely pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Hotel.

Our award winning hotel is located in the tranquil location of Clontarf, ideally located within easy access of the city center and we pride ourselves on providing guests the luxury of having to avoid the more boisterous nature of staying in a busy city centre.

We pride ourselves on the service that we can provide to our guests.

Regards,

Triona Cahalane

Write a ReviewReviews (4,299)

Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed in the Hotel as we were attending a function nearby. We stayed for two nights but regretfully we did not get a wink of sleep the first night. Some Law student ball was being held in the hotel and they ran riot. Parties in bedrooms, screaming in hallways, slamming doors.
Security staff appeared to have been sent home and the night reception staff did not seem to be able to cope. Finally at five am the fire alarm was set off and we were unable to use the stairs as it was covered in smashed glass.

After complaining we were given the first night of our stay free.

The second night the hotel was much quieter. Our room was lovely with two large double beds. Most of the staff were lovely, in particular the Porter who took our bags to our room and also the lady who checked us out in the morning.

If you are planning to stay here I would suggest you check what functions are being held in the hotel before you book.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank purpleiris26
TCahalane, Internet Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2009

Dear Guest,

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review on Clontarf Castle Hotel.

We closely monitor all reviews to ensure that our high standard of service has been maintained for all guests.

I regret to hear that you were awaken on the first night of your stay and I can assure you that this issue has been fully investigated.

We pride ourselves on our highly trained staff and I am delighted to hear about the excellent service that you received from our porter & receptionist.

If you have any questions or additional comments, please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed July 5, 2009

Old castle with inbuilt modern structures in Dublin. Small rooms and very small twin beds. Insist to get what you see on the pictures in brochure or internet. Dirt and dust not fully cleaned in the rooms. Lounge mostly booked out by private parties and bar and restaurant usually overcrowded. Breakfast buffet was not convincing. Make-up facilities for ladies could be upgraded.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to again apologise for any disappointment felt on your recent stay with us at Clontarf Castle. I very much appreciate the feedback that you have given as it affords me the opportunity to resolve the issues raised.

I can assure you that this is not the usual standard that we achieve here at Clontarf Castle. I have none the less personally addressed the issues that you raised and again I extend my sincerest apologies.

If I can be of further assistance in the mean time please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

The outside of the hotel is quite impressive, as is the foyer and restaurants etc. Our room also was nice - a family room with 2 proper beds rather than one fold up bed as the extra. A fridge which was good (we discovered during our holiday that fridges are not commonly provided in a lot of hotels). The restaurant was a bit pricey for us so we can't comment on it otherwise. Took us awhile to drive into the centre of Dublin although it probably wouldn't take too long if you knew where you were going. Plenty of free parking at the hotel. We stayed 2 nights and were more than happy with our choice especially since we got a good price over the internet. Would definitely stay again if we had the chance.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our Hotel.

We review all our guests’ feedback on a regular basis, whether it bad or good. It allows us to build on our strengths and highlights any issues that need to be resolved.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel.

We regularly update our internet offers so make sure to keep an eye out for another great offer as we would greatly welcome your return to the Castle.

Clontarf Castle Hotel is ideally located within easy access of the City Centre which allows you the luxury of avoiding the hustle and bustle of the city centre. If uncertain about directions, please contact us directly and we will be able to provide thorough directions for all your requirements.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

This was a trip to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday. The hotel were aware of this before we arrived as i had notified them. I was promised a birhday cake for his birthday .This did not arrive and i was dissapointed as no reason for this was given.
We stayed in room 422 a small suite.Overall the room was ok. However the shower cubicle was very small even for a average size person.The tea and coffee provisions were limited and we had to ask for extra's .These were provided as requested. The room was very hot even with the air conditioning on constant. The bathroom had no extractor which would of been nice.
We ate in the restaurant Fahrenheit on the night of my partners birthday. We had planned on having the early bird menu which was until 7pm. We arrived at promptly 7pm and were refused this menu. We had to choose from the normal menu which was very limited and expensive. I had Duck for my Main which i had to send back as it was tough .My partners Steak was fine but very small for the price. One of the waitresses Alex was very freindly and helpful. It was extremelly hot and uncomftable in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast .The music at Dinner was dreadful. Overall our dining experience was not good and we would not recommend Fahrenheit.
The Concierge (Both )who were on duty during our stay were extremelly friendly and could not of been more helpful.
During our stay there were two weddings, a funeral party and Evening function in Indigo . Due to this we were unable to use these facilities and experience these bars as we would of wished. The wedding guests took over parts of the hotel and on occasion were very loud and noisy.
There is free internet access at the hotel lobby ,due to young children constantly using this unsupervised and late into the night it did not allow us or other residents to use this facility. However at a cost you could access internet facilities from your room.
Overall the Decor and furnishings were pleasing.
The location for us was good as it allowed us to escape the hustle and bustle of the city centre. We used the buses every day and the rover bus ticket was good value. We used the airport link from the airport to the city and this was easy to use and excellent.
We visited Howth and this was a pretty fishing village , worth a visit.
Overall we enjoyed our trip to Dublin and Clontarf castle.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
TCahalane, Internet Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2009

Dear Guest,

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our Hotel.

Here at Clontarf Castle, we make it a point to analysis all our guests feedback whether it bad or good. It allows us to build on our strengths and look into any issues that may surface.

Customer service is an extremely high priority here at the Hotel and I am pleased to hear that our Concierge was able to facility your requirements in a professional and friendly manner.

Clontarf Castle Hotel is ideally located within easy access of the City Center which allows you the luxury of avoiding the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

My wife and I were travelling to Dublin for a conference, and decided to arrive a few days earlier for a little vacation. We figured Clontarf would be a good choice - historical, close to Dublin, hopefully relaxing. It was a terrible choice. Clontarf is a non-stop party and convention venue. One of our three nights was so miserable, with prom-night revellers screaming and slamming doors and deliberately setting off the fire alarm, that we didn't sleep at all. The hotel was at least decent enough to take that night's charge off the bill. In short, there is nothing to recommend this place except the first 10 minutes after arrival, when you bask in the charm of the castle. But then it's over. The hotel itself is a second-rate charmless modern structure grafted on to the castle. There are no grounds. And then there's the non-stop noise and boozy partying of the locals. Look elsewhere . . .

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tanker_1
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Stayed for two night with my partner who is now my wife. Extremely disappointed as I had heard good reviews. Shortly after arriving we went to freshen up as we had been traveling for a while, the lights in the bathroom were not working and the shower was not draining away the water, the result of this was that the floor was swamped with water a safety hazard. I reported this to reception who informed me the duty manager was not available till the morning, they would have them contact us, they also said there were no more rooms available so they could not move us. We were told someone would come to replace the light but this didn't happen either. I previously worked in a hotel so I know the service that shold be provided but this was not apparent in Clontarf Castle. I looked around the room in more detail and it was clear that quite a few areas had not been cleaned in a while, the back of the wardrobe was busted, as I said the lights in the bathroom had not been checked, nor the drain, all basic checks when cleaning a room. This never happened, the duty manager made no contact, I spoke to reception again but still no contact was made. When leaving I was asked did I enjoy my stay, I said no and explained why, they said someone would contact me. Guess what.. They didn't. I made a complaint to the hotel about the service and only then was I contacted. I was told if we wanted to come and stay again they would make sure we enjoyed our stay, I thought that would be nice but it turned out we would be expected to pay in full again... I paid 600 Euro I don't think I should have been expected to throw that amount out to them again. Find a hotel with better customer service. I was told that the Crown Plaza was a sister hotel, I have also stayed here, the service and accommodation are much better. I was told that some standards were dropping a little as they were renovation but to me this is no excuse for a lack of cleanliness and lack of customer service.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Traveller_NI_PA

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to again apologise for any disappointment felt on your recent stay with us at Clontarf Castle. I very much appreciate the feedback that you given as it affords me the opportunity to resolve the issues raised.

I would ask that you afford us the opportunity to display our usual standard of service and indeed as a gesture of goodwill by returning for a complimentary nights stay with dinner for you and your partner with my compliments.

If you could contact me personally on your return visit so that I can personally ensure that you are looked after.

Best Regards,