Clontarf Castle Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
4,391 results
All reviewsknights barfahrenheit grillindigo loungereal castlefour poster bedmodern amenitiescity centreamazing hotelbus stopdublin airportirelandweddingvijayarmourconciergehowtheuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Considering the price tag they put on their rooms, I was not impressed. The service level was good, but not great. Even at the reception desk, you had to wait for them to acknowledge your presence. The room was small but very nicely furnished with some good touches. The minibar operates on a sensor basis, so forget about putting any leftovers or a beverage of your own in there to keep cool.

The concierge was helpful about figuring out how to get into town/nearby attractions, but in general this was about a 45 minute to an hour process because of having to catch connections. There is no type of shuttle to make this an easier process.

We did eat in the restaurant, Fahrenheit, which was very tasty, although again expensive. The Knight's Bar there is a much more budget-friendly option and is a good place to grab a beer---anywhere else is a bus ride and a hike! Breakfast was NOT included and was another 15-18 euros per person if you wanted it there.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
TCahalane, Internet Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2009

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review,

We monitor these reviews on a regular basis to ensure our guests are receiving the best possible service whilst on their stay at Clontarf Castle.

On behalf of the team, I wish to convey my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced whilst visiting our beautiful hotel.

We are conveniently located outside the City centre, but within easy access to the town without being directly in the hustle and bustle of the centre itself. A bus stop is just five minutes walk from the Hotel with regular service to the city center.

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback. If you do decide to return to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, and I will do my utmost to ensure that your next visit will certainly be most enjoyable.

Many Thanks,

Triona Cahalane,
Sales & Marketing Department,
Clontarf Castle

Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just recently returned from a stay in Clontarf Castle and I have previously stayed there a few years ago on business so thought we would give it a go after it was on offer on Travelzoo at a special rate. Arrived from Liverpool to Dublin via Ryanair (excellent flights), Got the 1 day rambler ticker for 10 Euros (which covered 2 adults unlimited travel for the day and included the airport bus), so on arrival at the centre of Dublin (O'Connell Street), the bus for the hotel 130 was round the corner on lower Abbey Street. Stay on for only 10 mins then get off as you see the brown sign saying Clontarf Castle 300 yds, we then walked up Castle Avenue as recommended on here to get to hotel. Hotel was as good as I remember, very modern touches and nice decent size rooms, partners parents were knocked out with both the hotel and the room. Great size beds and no problem with noise. Didn't dine in the hotel as couldn't see anything we fancied off the menu, but had a drink in the Knights bar later and enjoyed that although very expensive! Finally breakfast was included in the rate and we enjoyed that before departing, must also say handy to have such a late check out, 12pm! Found all staff pleasant and accomodating and would not hesitate to stay in the castle in future, especially as the rate was half the price of average hotels in the centre.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Jen_Clontarf, Sales Co-ordinator at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to hear that your partners parents were knocked out with both the Hotel and the Bedroom, and that you found all of our staff to be plesant and accomodating.

There are indeed special rates available online and I would reccomend checking our websit regularly for any new deals worth availing of.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Many Thanks
Sales Department.

Reviewed May 31, 2009

Although this hotel is a good 10 minute or so taxi ride from the center of Dublin, I really liked it and think it was worth being a little outside the action to stay here. In the interest of full disclosure, you aren't actually staying in a castle - the central lobby areas incorporate areas of the old castle, but the rooms are modern additions. They did a nice job in melding the old and new in the entrance, and the decoration adds some drama and grandeur. The rooms are great - nicely appointed, comfortable and spacious - but the bathrooms are not as high end as you've gotten used to in high end hotels these days (no sunflower showers, or jets in the tub). There is a wee fitness center hidden down some long hallways and in a basement, but really, skip it. Spend your time in the gorgeous lounge, bar or restaurant -- each has considerable charms, but the lounge is the real standout. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and they'll have a cab waiting for you immediately when you want to head in town. Or, you could probably hide out here quite contentedly for several days before you even want to leave!

• Stayed: May 2009

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found considerable charms in our Gorgeous Lounge, Bar and Restaurant. I am also happy to hear that you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Should you wish to return to the wonderful Four Star Delux Clontarf Castle Hotel please do not hesitaite to contact me.

Many thanks
Sales Department.

Reviewed May 29, 2009

Our experience of this hotel was very good. We were allocated a large room which was extremely clean. It was nicely decorated with modern fixtures and fittings. We stay in hotels quite a lot and know that free wifi isn't all its cracked up to be, but we had no problems at all in accessing the internet. Maybe the only criticism I would give was the view. It was of a brick wall but as it was such a lovely room it really didn't matter too much. We did not find any good restaurants within walking distance so we ate in the bar ,which was very reasonably priced for ireland and very enjoyable. The hotel had a warm friendly atmosphere and in my opinion is well worthy of its 4 stars. We found the hotel to be in a good position, very close to the centre of Dublin. The bus stop is just outside the hotel grounds and takes about 20 mins. Just a few minutes walk away is a promenade along the estuary that stretches for miles. In summary I would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly return in the future.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you felt the warm friendly atmosphere, and feel that we are worthy of our 4 stars.

You are indeed correct about our location, we are conviently located beside the bus stop and within a short walk from the promenade.

On behalf of all the team here at the Castle, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our Four Star Deluxe Hotel in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at Clontarf Castle for a Christmas party with dinner included. Our first impression at check in was good with friendly efficient staff. The rooms were very small but clean. Although the structure of the hotel was quite nice, overall it was of ordinary standard. Our Christmas dinner was terrible by any standard, even allowing for the number of groups attending, which the staff obviously were not trained to accommodate. The food was completely inadequate, the service a joke, one of our party was chatting and didn't notice the waitress standing beside her so the waitress drew her and everyone's attention by banging the serving spoon on a plate in an irritated manner.

But the prize of the evening goes to the night security staff.. when later in the night after dinner, our party and others moved into the residents bar. instead of being allowed to end the evening in a relaxed manner, the security staff barred the door to the bar and every time a resident left the bar to smoke or use the toilet they were questioned on their return as to their room number ect.

When it came to 2am, regardless of the fact that the bar was still full, the bar staff decided to close the bar. With that decision made, the outside security was called in, and although we had not finished our drinks, the security staff stood with their backs to the bar and stared continually at us in an attempt to intimidate us into leaving. To infuse what was already a bizarre experience with a little humor, all that was missing in the aggression displayed by the security were machine guns pointed at us from waist level and considering the atmosphere that was created this image didn't take any stretch of the imagination.

Eventually we found a night manager to complain to and he was simply agreeable with obviously no intention of taking any action to rectify the situation whatsoever. Overall the obvious aggression of the night security staff was so intimidating along with the disrespectful bad mannered staff that it turned into a traumatic event rather than the enjoyable one it was intended to be. May I also add that I seen the night barman making 'faces' behind customers backs. So for anyone who wishes to experience the bizarre this is the hotel for you and for anyone whose expectations are in tune with what one would expect of a 4 * hotel please stay away. Since this awful night, we have not received any apology from the hotel management. I am available if further information is required.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank dingsam
Jen_Clontarf, Sales Co Ordinator, sales Department at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Dear Guest,

I would like to introduce myself as the Hotel Sales Manager for Clontarf Castle Hotel and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the detailed review of your experience at the Hotel Christmas party last year.
I can assure you that this is not a typical review or experience when staying at Clontarf Castle Hotel and the management team here take any complaints or dissatisfaction by a guest with the upmost seriousness.
We fully understand that any guest attending a Christmas party here is looking for a relaxed and fun environment to celebrate the festivities with their colleagues.
I would sincerely appreciate it if you could contact me directly so we can discuss in full all of the points and concerns that you may have had and I hope you will give us another chance to restore your faith in Clontarf Castle Hotel and Christmas party celebrations here, I can be contacted on 018534331 or 0868383461 or email bmckee@clontarfcastle.ie

Bronagh McKee