“Loved the Clontarf”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 13, 2008

The Clontarf Castle met every single expectation except the breakfast in the morning, which seems to be a common theme. The food was below average and the staff even worse. That being said, the hotel is wonderful, the rooms well appointed and comfortable. Rates were reasonable for the experience. I would highly recomend the hotel with the understanding that breakfast should not be looked forward to.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for all of your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel "wonderful" and our rooms "well appointed and comfortable".

However I wish to express my sincere apologies regarding your experience at breakfast. I can re-assure you that all feedback reported on Trip Advisor is thoroughly looked into. Therefore no suggestions / feedback are overlooked as to ensure that guests are 100% satisfied with their visit in future.

I very much hope that you decide to re-visit Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future and if you wish to do so, or if I can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sales Department

Write a ReviewReviews (4,190)

Reviewed September 13, 2008

The first time we stayed at the Clontarf, resulted in the review 'it could have been perfect...', so it was with a little trepidation that we went back for second helpings.
But we weren't disappointed. Our room was beautiful, so much so that we spent most of the weekend around and about the hotel, relaxing and enjoying the facilities.
We ate at Farenheit, where the food was delicious and the service was excellent. We enjoyed a cosy pint in the bar, curling up with books on the comfy leather chairs, in front of the fire. Bliss.
Staff on the front desk couldn't have been more helpful and our stay was made all the more enjoyable by the welcome back we received.
It's a gorgeous hotel, in a wonderful suburban setting, away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre.
My only top tip...ask for a room away from the lifts. We think it's the mystery sound that plagued our first stay!
We'll definitely consider going back for thirds...

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that you decided to revisit Clontarf Castle Hotel for "second helpings"...

On behalf of the Team here at Clontarf Castle, we are very glad to hear that you found the food "delicious" and the service "excellent" as our aim is to ensure that each and every guest has a most enjoyable experience whilst visiting our 4 star deluxe castle hotel.

You are indeed correct that we are in an ideal setting, away from the "hustle and bustle of the city centre". Located just 2 miles from city centre and 5 miles from Dublin Airport where guests get to experience the best of both worlds!

Once again, thank you for all of your feedback and we very much look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed September 8, 2008

This hotel is without doubt absolutely beautiful both inside and out. However, the staff are mostly very young and obviously inexperienced in the hospitality industry. The hotel is so over-the-top with electronic devices in the rooms (iPod dock, flat screen tv with immediate access to movies, your bill, etc., ) that it is confusing and frustrating.

Problems we encountered:
-- Our digital thermostat could not be adjusted below 20C....far too warm for us. We called reception and they promised to correct it but never followed through.
-- They were offering a 9.95 Euro special for internet and movie access. The full price was charged twice to our bill and would not have been changed had we not pointed it out. Even though we paid for them, we could not watch any movies because the sound didn't work on movies only on tv. Called reception and they said they'd reset the system and call back in 5 minutes. They never called back to follow through.
-- On the second day of our stay, no clean bath cloths were left in the bathroom. When we called reception about it they sent up bath robes instead. It took several hours to get clean bath cloths.
-- There is no top sheet provided, only a comforter in a duvet cover. If you are too warm during the night because you can't adjust your thermostat, you have no lighter covering. Also makes me wonder whether they change the duvet cover between guests. Who knows who slept under that comforter before.
-- Ordered Irish Stew with Irish soda bread from room service. No bread and no spoons were brought with the room service tray. Waited until the stew was cold for a spoon and some bread.

The hotel has the ability to be an outstanding facility, but staff needs to be trained to pay close attention to the small details...that is what makes the difference for guests. We certainly did not receive much value for the cost of this room for two nights. Most definitely not 4-star quality service. A disappointing end to a lovely week in Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you found Clontarf Castle Hotel to be “beautiful both inside and out”.

However I sincerely wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the problems you encountered.

I also wish to assure you that all feedback is circulated to Management therefore all problems are investigated as to ensure that this doesn’t happen in future.

I very much hope that if given the opportunity we would be able to regain your confidence in Clontarf Castle Hotel as a four star deluxe hotel.

If you do decide to re-visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will do my utmost to ensure that your second visit would be most memorable for all the right reasons.

In the meantime if you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 8, 2008

Clontarf Castle Hotel is overall a very nice hotel. Our check-in was friendly and efficient. Our room was small but comfortable and clean. Amenities included in-room coffee and tea, hair dryer, trouser press, and iron, all the standard stuff you'd expect from a four-star hotel. The bed was quite comfortable. We ate the pub (called the Knightsbridge or Drawbridge or something like that) and the food was good although they were busy and the service was a tad slow but very friendly. We had breakfast at their more upscale restaurant and it was a buffet that was plentiful and tasty.
The concierge was very helpful with our Saturday plans, both day and night.
The hotel, which we knew upon booking, is about 15 minutes drive to the city center but the bus and train are nearby.
The 'weird incident' I reference in the title of this review is because we were there on a weekend, and the Saturday night there was a wedding. I had specifically asked for a room that was far from the reception rooms so we would have some quiet and was told that our room would be out of the noise zone, but it wasn't. The party was going on even after midnight. I was finally able to fall asleep around 1:00a and then the fire alarm went off at 1:15a and didn't stop. I tried to call the front desk to see if it was real but the line was busy with other guests asking the same I suppose. We had to get dressed and go downstairs and the alarm kept going off. We were told by front desk staff that it was a false alarm but they couldn't get it to stop. They made no apology to the many guests still in their pajamas among the wedding goers in the lobby. My husband and I finally decided the noise was too much and went outside and walked down the front path to the hotel and sat on a bench until we heard the alarm stop in the distance. This was around 1:40a and here we are sitting on a bench in front of the hotel in sweatshirts and pajamas.
We checked out the next day and again, no apology and no attempt to offer any type of remedy to the problem, even when we asked if a discount would be given for this inconvenience. We were told it was beyond their control because someone at the wedding pulled the alarm, but no apology was anywhere to be had. We do understand it was an accident, and that happens, but a hotel of this rating should have handled it better, at least with 'sorry for the inconvenience'. I think their front desk staff needs customer service training in handling incidents.
In addition, they will only cash $100 USD in travellers checks per day at the front desk, and that was 62 Euros when we were there. With the current exchange rate, they would be a lot more helpful to their guests if they increased that amount.
Overall, barring the 1:15a fire alarm, our stay was decent.

1  Thank kellyonthego905

Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for all of your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found our service to be friendly and efficient.

I do however wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused during the fire alarm.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel when a fire alarm goes off, we have to investigate it immediately, therefore my sincere apologies that the alarm went off for a longer period than expected, however this is just to ensure everyone’s safety.

You are indeed correct that an apology should have been given at the time, so I very much hope that you accept my late apology regarding this.

I can assure you that all feedback is passed onto management, therefore any suggestions or incidents are most thoroughly looked into.

I very much hope that you decide to re-visit Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the near future and if you wish to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make your reservation and ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable.

Reviewed September 8, 2008

As a birthday treat my sister booked herself and myself into Clontarf Castle for the Girls Night In Package in August. The Hotel was great and the receptionist Eva was very very nice & helpful. The room was huge and comfy and we had everything they said the package would include. Only down side was that we had to share the cheeseburger and chocolate cake - there was only one between two which I thought was bad form as we both paid the same price for the room. We had unlimited access to the movie & music listing which was great. However the fire alarm did go off during the night but the hotel did all they could to reassure that everything was alright(turned out some guest was smoking in their room tut tut). They even apologised upon checkout which I thought was good.

Overall great stay would highly recommend it

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had a fab girls night in!

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we have an array of special packages available including Girls Night in, The Ultimate Girlie Weekend! Thank Goodness it's Friday & our Romance Packages.

With all of these and more, there is certainly something for everyone in Clontarf Castle Hotel. For more information please visit our website.

Many thanks for all of your feedback and on behalf of the team here we very much look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Reviewed September 4, 2008

What can I say? This place is perfect. We had our Wedding there in August so you may think we are bias but serioulsy the service is second to none, each and every staff member would go out of their way to help, nothing is too much trouble. We had the most perfect day but even our guests that stayed at the hotel were highly impressed with it, the accomodation standard, the food, the staff, the service. When you walk into the hotel you get a 'WOW' factor in the fabolous lobby. They have truely managed to maintain the old look but perfectly combine it with new and modern faciltes.

Would highly reccommend the hotel for a break away in a Castle environment but close to everything.

• Check in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that your wedding day was perfect! As this is one of the most important days of your life, it is crucial that your every whim is catered for and that you and your guests all experience the "wow" factor when you enter the palatial surroundings of Clontarf Castle.

As Clontarf Castle is a unique 12th century, 4 star deluxe hotel, we are indeed a perfect magical setting for your wedding day!

Many thanks for all of your feedback and here at Clontarf Castle we very much look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2008

Amazing hotel about 15mins cus ride from Dublin city centre.

Upon arrival reception checkin was very quick and to my delight one of my friends pad for an upgrade to a suite! Sweet! Slightly disappoined that the room was not actually in the casle but rather the uber-modern but complimentry to the castle section. The castle area itself has soo much character.

The room was perfect - nice (but quite small) four poster bed, two huge plasma screens on the wall, BOSE surround sound system (would have been nice for some instructions!) immaculate bathroom, private fridge (as well as mini bar) and every mod con a good room should have.

First evening went into Knights bar and enjoyed the perfect pint of Guinness with the food, which was quickly served and excellent quality and fairly priced.

Breakfast was very nice although not the best I've ever had. Certainly couldn't fault the service or selection , it just missed the mark for me.... 4.5/5.

Reception helpful on local bus route and directions to local exhibits

Would happily go here again, if only to see what it looks like without the scaffolding and to try the Indigo Bar, which looked fab but was always shut!

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that your Honeymoon in Dublin was most enjoyable.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we encourage our guests for their feedback as to ensure that each individual is happy with the service and their experience in our hotel.

I'm pleased to hear that your friend availed of our fabulous upgrades! At Clontarf Castle Hotel, our 111 guest rooms and suites range from the luxurious to the truly extravagant, with design that mesmerises your senses, and all the in room touches you need to ensure the perfect nights rest.

Many thanks for all of your feedback and should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

On behalf of the team here at Clontarf Castle, we very much look forward to your return.