“Mike & Trevor Brilliant hotel, great location and the very best of staff”

Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed there on the 3 of January for our civil partnership. From the minute we checked in the staff could not be more helpful. The food in the restaurant and bar was of the highest quality. The bedroom was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. The restaurant manager Lorraine was very helpful to us during the day guiding thru the procedure. All our guests were complimentary about the venue and service ect.

Room Tip: Top floor for views of the bay
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted with your feedback, it's great to hear from you about your recent civil partnership here at the hotel. Congratulations on your big day, I'm really pleased you were so happy with how everything went on the day and that all your guests were so impressed. I'll be sure to pass your kind comments on to all the staff here at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed January 30, 2014

It was a wonderful experience staying in this prestigious Hotel with it's excellent service. It is also attractive because of it's historical background. The location is perfect; just a few minutes walk from an attractive walk along the river Liffey and it is only a short distance from the centre of Dublin by a handy bus.
The room was clean and comfortable and dinner in the restaurant and the Knights bar were excellent. Dinner in the restaurant was part of a package which included breakfast each morning.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read all your comments, it's great that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I'm glad you liked our location, we are a couple of miles outside the city centre; however with excellent public transport options available we really feel that we offer our guests the best of both worlds. Many thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed last weekend on a "living social" deal - The receptionist (male) was extremely helpful in explaining the deals and little extras included which was most welcome as some of these deals can be a bit vague. The entrance to hotel is lovely and the interior reception area is old and impressive and inviting. The room was very nice, very well equipped and spacious. Only little faults were ..... no shower caps in bathroom , shower in the bath and the power of the shower a bit poor. Television a bit tempermental and biscuits not left the second morning for a cuppa !

We ate in the dining room Fahrenheit restaurant the first night which was delicious and well priced but thought the staff were a little unfriendly. The second night we ate in the bar - fabulous food again and the staff much more pleasant and friendly. Breakfast also was delicious and well stocked for every need and want.

The hotel has a great buzz about it - lively and busy. A great spot and will definitely be back for another stay very soon I hope ;)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you liked the hotel so much and that all your meals were so lovely. I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with some of the facilities in your bedroom and that you found the restaurant staff to be a little unfriendly. Thank you for highlighting this, I will be sure to investigate these issues and I'm sincerely sorry that they negatively impacted on your overall experience. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. I'm delighted that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The hotel is located in the suburbs of Dublin, but is easily accessible by public transport such as buses and the DART. The grounds of the Castle are picturesque and perfect for unwinding after a hustle-and-bustle day in the busy city centre. My husband and I were welcomed to the hotel with a glass of Kir Royal, and as we were peckish, chose to have a delicious bowl of soup each. We were equally pleased with our room - spotless, the perfect temperature, with tea and coffee making facilities, an (albeit over-priced) mini-bar and an extremely comfy bed. We chose to have dinner at the hotel's Fahrenheit Grill. Portions were very small, but everything was tasty. We found all of the restaurant staff's command of English to be surprisingly poor. Though we were the only people in the restaurant, as soon as we had finished our main courses, a waitress proceeded to entirely strip our table - including the candle and salt & pepper shakers. I found this to be extremely rude and have never experienced such a lack of professionalism in any restaurant - busy or otherwise - in all my time. The following morning at breakfast, despite being not at all busy, we were met with similar contempt and disregard from the waiting staff. Upon reflection, I regret not informing the restaurant manager, who appeared friendly and professional in our minimal dealings with her.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel as an affordable luxury accommodation for exploring Dublin over a weekend, but would tell people to skip the hotel restaurant in favour of other local culinary pursuits.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ad54321
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very pleased to read that you were so impressed with your room and all the facilities at the hotel. I was very surprised to read your account of your experience in the restaurant. You have my sincere apologies for the issues you faced and I can assure you that this is an extremely rare occurrence. I will be personally investigating this issue. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and take all your comments on board. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to the area.

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I recently attended a show in Clontarf Castle - I ordered a wine in the main bar and found the glass was dirty.

I asked for a replacement wine.

The male bartender poured the wine from my dirty glass into a fresh glass and presented it to me.

When I politely asked for a fresh pour of wine he put his eyes up to heaven before pouring me a fresh glass. Not the service I would expect in any bar in Ireland.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Irish-family-plus
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very disappointed to read your review. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service and since your review I have followed up on this. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. If you would like to discuss your visit with me personally please don't hesitate to contact me at 018332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

January 2014.
Coeliac friendly, reasonably priced lunch. Various gluten free options available. No coeliac desserts though.
Highly recommend.
Did not stay overnight but hotel is clean, friendly and near to town.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to receive feedback from a bar customer. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your meal in Knights Bar and that you were happy with the variety of gluten free main courses on offer. I'm very sorry that there were no gluten free deserts available, I will look into this with our chef. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to the area.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here for an evening. Beautiful castle in Clontarf and spacious rooms with all the mod-cons. Staff extremely helpful and polite.
The hotel also has a bit of history and it was quite interesting to know about its past and who the "previous owners" were.
Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be so friendly and polite. We aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service so it's great that you experienced this. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.