“Overall, Okay Stay at the Clontarf”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 14, 2008

The Clontarf Castle is located about 10 -15 minutes from Dublin Airport and about the same distance by bus from the City Centre (take the 130 bus right into central Dublin). Due to the location, it is a bit out of the way to the main city attractions, but this would be an advantage if you were looking for some peace and quiet! The castle would be a perfect location for a romantic weekend away. A rental car is definately a must if you dont like busing it into town or wish to eat outside the hotel. We thought the meals at the hotel were on the expensive side (33 euro for a steak, 3.95 euro for a latte, as examples) but since we had a rental car there are plenty of pubs and bistros in the surrounding area.

We had a family room on the third floor and it was more than adequate for three adults. The beds are very soft but very comfortable. The rooms were clean, but unfortunately other than restocking towels each day, we did not receive any new toiletries, face cloths or hand towels for the 3 nights stay other than on the first day.

The recent renovations to the hotel are obvious. The reception area is beautiful. Lots of marble and armour displays which compliment the theme of the hotel. While we were staying there appeared to be a conference on at the hotel and I think the hotel would be a stunning facility for a conference and absolutely perfect as a wedding venue.

The staff on the reception and conceirge in particular were very knowledgeable and friendly. The only let down in terms of staff I felt was at Farenheit Grill where breakfast was served. The first day was appauling. Absolutely none of the food or drinks were labelled, we had to ask twice for coffee and the staff were grouchy and unmotivated. Thankfully the second two mornings things appeared to be better in terms of labelling etc. However the maitradee appears to have this bad habit of critisising and mocking the other staff in front of the guests which comes across as tacky and unprofessional.

Overall, a plesant stay at the Clontarf.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank shazza_h
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit to Clontarf Castle Hotel and I very much appreciate all of your feedback provided.

You are indeed correct that the castle is in a "perfect location for a romantic weekend" with "plenty of pubs and bistros in the surrounding area".

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced throughout breakfast. I will most certainly be investigating this and very much hope that this didn't affect your stay.

I am glad that overall your experience at Clontarf Castle Hotel was a pleasant one and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2008

stayed here for just one nite with my boyfriend,resption staff werent very friendly,room was lovely but small,was a conecting room,witch i wasnt happy about as when we booked it we askd not 2 b given 1,we were told on arrival the hotel was booked out and that was the only room for us,lovely hotel but not sure if id stay in it again

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2008

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your feedback on Trip Advisor and wish to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced whilst visiting Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I very much hope that we are given the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence in Clontarf Castle and should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed August 3, 2008

A good friend of mine just had his wedding reception at the castle, and I stayed over for this. The wedding had 150 guests but the set up - curtains pulled, and candles lit, made it seem more like an imtimate candlelight supper than a large group in a hall. It was beautiful, and the service by the staff was excellent throughout. They were polite, forgiving and full of fun. My room was a standard double with a king size (two twins) bed, one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bathroom was huge and while it didn't have a bath the shower was as long as one, with a giant shower head. I didn't eat at the Farenheiht restaurant but my friends did before coming to the "afters" of the wedding and I had some wine with them there - again, excellent service, and my friends said that while the restaurant was expensive (33 euro for a steak), the food was gorgeous. There are some renovations going on at the moment, but I didn't hear any work from my room on the third floor, staying on a Friday night. Breakfast was a fairly standard buffet in the restaurant, nothing to get too excited about, and when leaving my room the cleaning staff all said hello which was nice. All in all a lovely place to stay if in Dublin - good bus links to the city centre (but a bit of a walk from the DART station) and a very welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that the wedding you attended in Clontarf Castle Hotel was most enjoyable.

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know how your visit went. We are always delighted to hear our wedding guests' feedback.

Clontarf Castle is indeed a magical setting for a person's wedding day. We are actually holding a wedding afternoon on Sunday 17th August from 2pm - 6pm which will allow guests to experience the room set up and ambience of a Clontarf Castle wedding for themselves. For further information please visit our website.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback. On behalf of all the team here at the castle we very much look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel. It looked so expensive when we walked in we almost felt out of place.

The rooms were gorgeous. Very neat, clean and modern. The beds were super comfortable. The view out our window was nothing special. We were in part of the extention of the castle so it's actually a new building, but we could see the original castle wall right beside our window.

The service at the front desk was great. The lounge area really feels like you're sitting in the old castle. The restaurants are also quite nice, and the food is good. A bit pricey though.

The only thing I would have to say wasn't the best was the location. It's a bit of a hike, about 2km to the DART station to get into the city center. Other then that everything else was perfect.

This Castle hotel was much more than I expected. This is the castle to stay at in Ireland for an affordable price.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for your review on Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I am delighed that you enjoyed your stay in our "beautiful" hotel. After completing a €10 million refurbishment, Clontarf Castle has combined the old with the new and is a one off, urban castle that you can make your own....

In regards to the DART station, there are 2 stations in the locality: Clontarf & Killester. Killester indeed would be nearer to the hotel than the Clontarf Station and should only take approximately a ten minute walk.

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback, it is much appreciated and no review goes unnoticed.

If you have any future queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 31, 2008

Stayed here twice – at beginning and end of our tour of Ireland. Fantastic concierge who is prepared to “go the extra mile” and a young Polish man at check in who really saved the day for us. He might be a trainee but the hotel should make sure they keep him! Because of his attention to service he contacted management to explain the issues (see below) and the afternoon before we were to leave, the hotel sent us a fruit platter and bottle of wine - for which we thank them.

Our first stay (1 night) was fine. The food in the bar, however, was nothing short of disgusting.

When we returned a week later we had a different room – very noisy, so noisy in fact that, in the early hours of the morning we had to demand a new one. Given what had happend I demanded an upgrade but no one at the time seemed very fussed. When we did get it, the upgraded room was very nice - on the top level and very roomy. However it took 5 minutes or more to get hot water in the bathroom, part of the lower section of the shower pulled away during our stay, the air conditioner didn’t work (some staff just didn’t believe us) and for some time (when they finally agreed with us) they gave us a heater to use (our stay was during April). To top it all off we tried to use the internet. Our €9 for an hour ticked away as we couldn’t even get access. Finally, after complaining the problem was fixed.

Apart from one person, bar staff didn’t even know the drinks they had available. Imagine asking for a Bailey’s in Ireland and being told they didn’t have it – not just by the waiter but confirmed by the bar’s manager that night! Funny how we saw it sitting on the bar shelf as we left!

Could be a great hotel but needs work!

• Stayed: April 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to hear that our Concierge were able to assist you and "go the extra mile" during your stay.

I am however disappointed and wish to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused throughout your visit.

I can assure you that all reviews on Trip Advisor are passed to management and no feedback is taken lightly.

If you wish to return to Clontarf Castle in the future please do not hesitate to contact me personally and you can be rest assured that your stay will be most memorable.

Reviewed July 26, 2008

I know it's a bit late to post a review now, given that we stayed there in October, but here's my review anyway.
My husband wanted to surprise me with a castle in Ireland for our honeymoon, so he chose Clontarf. It's as beautiful as it looks in the pictures and very fun to explore and photograph.
When we arrived we were surprised to find that there was a mix-up with our online booking and they didn't have any room for us that night, so they took us over to their sister hotel (Crown Plaza) for the night. Although quite handsome and posh, it was a bit business-y for a honeymoon, so we were glad to be shuttled back to the castle the next day.
Because of the mix-up they upgraded our room for us and I was thrilled to have a 4 post bed.
Everything was clean and wow--the bathrooms are gorgeous.
The buffet breakfasts were awesome and the restaurants in the castle were a visual treat.
Thanks Clontarf for a special honeymoon.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reneedo
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2008

Dear Guest,

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we are always delighted to hear how our honeymoon guests get on and wish to thank you for all of your feedback.

I'm very glad to hear that your honeymoon was most memorable and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for your anniversary!

If you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 22, 2008

Whilst we had an amazing time at the hotel, on our return we found that £740 was debited from my credit card unauthorised as we paid in cash, we are still waiting for a full refund of the money debited plus the interest it has accumulated and telephone calls made bearing in mind we have been calling from England. The customer service is awful we were promised call backs only to recieve none, we were told that compensation would be issued of which we have recieved nothing. Whilst ill admit the hotel is amazing and the location and setting is fantastic, it has really been let down by its staff and duty manager. We are currently in the process of of sorting out a fraudulent claim as the payment taken was unauthorised as it was completely the wrong amount even if i hadnt paid cash.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Me24
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your stay in Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I am glad that this has been brought to my attention and I have been informed that our Front Office Manager Philip Walsh has been liaising with you regarding this.

I have been assured that everything has been resolved and very much wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you have any future queries, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Philip and we will do our utmost to ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable.