“Beautiful Castle With The Friendliest Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
cork, ireland
“Beautiful Castle With The Friendliest Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for my birthday weekend. The hotel is just outstanding inside and out. The Indigo bar is a beautiful place to unwind with a coffee or a beer. The Knights bar is good for bar food and can be very busy at times. We didn't get to eat in the Fahrenheit Grill as it was booked out so booking here would be essential.
The Staff at the hotel were absolutely fabulous from the front desk to bar staff to waitresses and waiters. They are well trained and always smiling and helpful.
The rooms were very spacious and spotless. They had everything one would need and expect from a hotel and if you needed anything extra the staff were always at hand to assist you.
The promenade in Clontarf is just a short walk from the hotel and is ideal for a walk, jog or cycle. There is even exercise equipment dotted along the promenade to use. I would recommend 'The Butler's Pantry' for a cake in Clontarf village, they are gorgeous.

1 Thank jennandpete
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a lovely stay at the castle for your birthday. It's great that you loved all the bars at the hotel and found all the staff to be so good. We aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service so I'm really pleased you found the service to be so professional on all levels. As you mentioned, Clontarf is a gorgeous location with lots of attractions and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the area during your stay. I'll be sure to pass on all your lovely comments to the staff here. Many thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The building and the drive is a sight to see, along with the décor in the lobby its really does set this place up to be perfect, BUT from there on it falls quickly down hill, the rooms are not at all in theme with the building and once you are out of the lobby the whole castle theme doesn't exist at all. I must say though having arrived to early to check in the staff on the front desk with exceptional looking after our bags and giving us the best advice and direction for our first day in Dublin. Staying in the hotel on the first night we were excited about trying the Fahrenheit Grill but the very small menu was not at all in our interests which was a bit frustrating, so we dined in the bar to which ended up in a complete farce with horrendous debacle of service and food quality which was very disappointing and upsetting. having sent our mains come out within seconds of finishing our starter was a shock let alone the cold main, which we sent back to return clearly shoved in a microwave and sent out again with skin on the gravy, which wasn't appealing in the slightest things never picked up from here. the hotel is ok, the rooms are quite poky and have a lack of natural light. personal our stay here was very disappointing I'm sure if we stayed again it might not be as awful but apart from the reception staff who were a pleasure along with breakfast with had a solid array of food cooked very well it was very difficult to find any positives especially given the cost. Things were also put into perspective as for only a little bit more money on the third night we stayed at the Marker Hotel as we went to watch the rugby and this hotel was within walking distance it was by far and away the best hotel we have stayed at. Nothing is left to chance there service is unquestionable and our experience was impeccable. So in all Clontarf was ok but did not seem what it was cracked up to be....

2 Thank Trev B
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you found the service at our front desk to be of an exceptional standard. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to our staff members. Regarding the decor of the hotel, I was disappointed to read that you weren't so impressed as the whole building underwent a €10 million refurbishment in recent years. This incorporated the castles original features as well as upgrading our bedrooms to a four star deluxe standard.
I was also disappointed to read that the Fahrenheit Grill menu was not of interest to you and you have my sincere apologies for your experience in Knights Bar. This is very surprising and I can assure you that this is not our usual service standard. I can assure you that I will be investigating this issue personally.
I would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion so if you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me personally at your earliest convenience on 01 8332321 or mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we take all your comments on board.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have now stayed in Clontarf Castle about 10-12 times and every time the experience gets better and better. The staff are the best, the rooms great value for money and the location is great. Louise and Monika provide superior genuine customer service and always make our stay as inviting and comfortable as possible. Its always a pleasure to be in and around the facilities, it is always clean and welcoming and the suites are to die for. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Dublin area and i will continue to stay here whenever possible.

Room Tip: Suites are well worth the money!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very pleased to read your review, it's lovely to get feedback from such a loyal guest who has stayed with us many times. I'm delighted that all of your experiences at the castle have been so good and that the front desk staff have always made your stays so special. I'll pass on your comments to all the staff here. Many thanks again for your feedback on your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel, we genuinely appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel very soon.

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Clontarf Castle was definitely a great stay. My wife and I arrived early and our suite wasn't ready, so we were given a standard room to rest in until our room was ready. I was very appreciative as I was worried that after a long flight we would have to wait around for 8 hrs but thankfully that didn't happen. when our room was ready about 6hrs later we not only loved the room but were given a complimentary bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates in celebration of our anniversary. The suite was spacious. The hotel decor was really nice. The food at the restaurant fahrenheit grill was good, and I really enjoyed the breakfast. Nice variety and food was good. If I find myself in Dublin again I will definitely stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you loved your room and your meals. I'm so pleased that the champagne and chocolates made your anniversary stay at the castle extra special. Thanks again for your feedback. We're very grateful that you took the time to write a review for us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future if you return to Dublin.

Mayo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are just back from a lovely one night stay at Clontarf castle. The outside of the building is magnificent with lovely lighting at night. It is so easy to get to from the city - only a few minutes drive away. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms which was just perfect - you could see the complete Dublin skyline from the Aviva Stadium, Spire and Croke Park. Well done to the housekeeping team for keeping such high standards in such a busy hotel.
The head receptionist was lovely, very friendly - as were all the staff throughout the hotel.
Ciaran in the bar served us and was extremely professional and chatty even though it was starting to get busy.
Later in the evening we returned to the bar for a small snack. Our server was a lovely woman who seemed to be taking the busy night in her stride all the while providing professional service. The food was great. The bar was busier than I thought it would be but there seemed to be a few events taking place.
The lobby is a welcoming area with a big fireplace you can sit in front of. It really is a beautiful building with modern touches which we loved.
We had a great nights sleep on the really comfortable mattresses which had the mattress toppers on.
Breakfast in the Fahrenheit Grill the next morning was very relaxed with a buffet to choose from or separate menu options - again all the staff were so pleasant and polite and all were smiling!
Unfortunately we had to leave but I would definitely return to the castle again wihout hesitation.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I really enjoyed reading all your feedback. It's great that you loved your room and felt so welcomed by all the staff, particularly front office and bar staff. I'm also delighted you enjoyed your meals and the service you received in our restaurant. Many thanks again for all your feedback, we are very grateful for you taking the time to write a review for us. I'm thrilled that you wouldn't hesitate to stay with us if you return to the area in the future, we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Murrieta, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is very nice and the staff is great. The rooms are nice and the lobby is great as well as the bar. At night that bar gets pretty full which was a surprise to me because typically I wouldn't expect bars to be full in a hotel that is away from major attractions. This brings me to the only downfall, you either have to have a car, take a cab, or public transportation because it is not close to any attractions. Would be nice if the hotel offered a shuttle into the city center. Other than that this hotel was great. I loved coming back to the hotel after a long day out and hitting the bar up for a beer and hot whiskey then capping it off with some hot tea near the fireplace.

1 Thank Nathan A
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you had such a nice experience in our bar. In relation to our location, we are located a couple of miles from the city centre. However there are excellent public transport options available with a DART station just a few minutes walk away and a bus stop close to the castle gates. Both these modes of transport travel directly to the city centre. Thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we take all your comments on board. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I would stay at Clontarf Castle anytime while staying in Dublin. Just a few minutes ride in the bus from the castle to downtown Dublin. The room were gorgoeus. We dined at Knight's pub inside and had a great dinner / dessert / and drinks.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you loved your meals. Many thanks again for your feedback of Clontarf Castle Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.