“A unique lodging experience in this beautifully modernized castle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Kingfield, Maine
“A unique lodging experience in this beautifully modernized castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

A little far from city center but not far of a walk to city bus to get there. And the quiet location was appreciated for the rest. Appreciated that the sightseeing bus does special pick-ups from hotel in the morning. Beautiful room, very comfy king bed, our only one of our 10 night stay in Scotland & Ireland. Lighting in bathroom was harsh fluorescent. Staff was helpful. Felt special to stay in this unique place. Fahrenheit Grill Restaurant was somewhat less than it could have been. Breakfast was fine both mornings. Dinner was o.k. but not the best meal of my life. I had the salmon - ok but ours at home is better - a small thin piece. The chickory salad was very bland, couldnt taste any vinaigrette. The dessert - a vanilla panacotta - was wonderful. A long wait for our check at end. Bartender at Knights Bar was friendly & helpful w/suggestions for spirits to try & his recommendations. Loved the decor here & throughout hotel. Overall very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your unique stay at the castle and that it was special for you. I was disappointed to read that you weren't too taken with your meal in the restaurant You have my apologies that you had to wait for your bill, I will personally look in to this to make sure that our high standard of service quality is maintained. Many thanks again for your feedback on Clontarf Castle Hotel, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We'd very much like to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you desire ambiance crowned with elegance of a time long past with todays convenices this is the place for you...the food was marvelous...staff was prompt and helpfull to all our needs...also the comfy chairs in the lobby and all four floors were very relaxing...again a must stay if you are in the Dublin area

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnKathy565
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read your lovely comments. I'm glad that you loved the food and found the staff to be so professional. Many thanks again for your review of Clontarf Castle hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel lobby and parts of the castle are beautiful, the rooms are modern and spacious. The front desk staff was wonderful - as this was my last night in Ireland, I had returned my rental car, so they arranged for a car to be waiting for me first thing in the morning. Now for the restaurant...the front desk had warned me that there was currently a group dining in the formal restaurant, but if I wanted to wait until after 8:30, seating should open up. This was no problem as it gave me time unwind before dinner. Upon arriving, the dining room was empty with the exception of two men also waiting for a table. With a seating capacity of at least 50, I found it strange that we were seated side by side. I ordered the crispy pork bellies for an appetizer, Filet Mignon (rare) with the Bearnaise sauce on the side and vegetables in place of the chips it would normally come with. The wine list was very small and contained no wines of exceptional quality as I would have expected, so I ordered a Jamesons neat - this should have been my first indication that the server was either very new or not qualified, as she did not understand the term - I qualified my order stating no ice; what she brought back (after waiting 5 minutes) was barely a thimble full of whiskey. Another server brought out a selection of rolls, all of which were hard and inedible. My steak arrived and was cooked to a medium rather than the rare as I ordered it. As the staff was busy dragging tables across the floor rearranging the dining room, it took several minutes for me to get anyone's attention. The server eventually comes over and I explain to her that the steak is not cooked properly - to which she responds "It is not done enough?" This steak was clearly overcooked and yet she wanted to have it cooked more. She returned the steak to the kitchen leaving me with a pot of vegetables, with no way to eat them. After 15 minutes, my steak was finally brought back to me - this time it was cooked perfectly. The Bearnaise sauce was not a true Bearnaise - it was prepared with dill rather than tarragon and too much dill. I did not see this server again. After completing my meal, I waited another 10 minutes trying to get someone's attention - no one came to my table to inquire as to if I needed anything; it took another 5 to track down the server and get my check. The on duty manager stopped me on my way out trying to explain that this was not their normal service standards, but I doubt that. As I told her, if I wanted bad service and to listen to tables being moved around,I would have sat in the bar. I was very disappointed in the entire dining experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Judithseestheworld
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. However, I was very disappointed to read that your visit to our restaurant was not as satisfactory. I sincerely apologise for the issues you faced during your dinner, I can assure you that these are not our normal service standards. I will personally be conducting a full investigation into this. If you would like to discuss your stay further please don’t hesitate to contact me at your earliest convenience on +353 18332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback on Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Brunswick, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here twice on our recent trip to Ireland, the first 3 nights and the final night. It's a beautiful place to stay. This sounds weird, but the lobby smells lovely....they have some kind of fragrance and it's just enough but not too much. The staff are wonderful and sweet. It does take a few minutes to walk to the bus stop to take the bus into Dublin. The food at Knight's Bar is rather good..some of the best scones we ate on our trip. They were also very helpful our first night when my mother wasn't feeling well. Our awesome server, Elaine offered to bring my mom just a plain chicken sandwich on plain bread. When you go to Knight's Bar you must meet Elaine and Dympna they are two of the sweetest and funniest women you will ever meet. Our last night my parents and i were both given automatic upgraded rooms, but ended up being disappointed. The beds were uncomfortable in both of our rooms. The sink in my parent's bathroom was cracked but sort of repaired, the sheer drapes had a few holes and the wi--fi was very poor in their room. In my bathroom the shower stall curved out so much that every time i went to the bathroom i smacked my elbow on the stall.

We will stay here again if we ever return to Dublin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the castle. I'm particularly happy that you found the staff to be so helpful, I'll be sure to pass your comments on to all the staff here, including Elaine and Dympna. I'm sincerely sorry that your upgraded rooms were not satisfactory and I will look into this personally. Many thanks again for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I really appreciate your feedback and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I am sitting in our room trying desperately not to let our experience with this place tonight ruin our entire trip to Ireland.

First off I would like to say that this location and facilities are absolutely amazing. You could not hope for a better location or overall appearance as the hotel concept is amazing.

However there are definitely some things that need improving. This was our first accommodation arriving in Ireland and we could not have hoped for better start our vacation. We were placed in room 323 which was stunning beyond all expectations. The food in the morning was great,the service was exceptional and overall we could not believe how lucky we were.

At the end of our journey (5 nights later) we decided to come back to this hotel as we were looking to end this vacation on a positive note.

However upon arrival this place was crawling with wedding guests. To make matters worse we were placed in a subpar room with no similarities to the exact same room (Deluxe double) we had booked just five nights earlier. It is amazing how you can book the exact same requirements and get such differences. This room feels as if it was thrown together and is ground level to with wedding guests passing right outside the window. These guests are nosey in the sense of trying to stare into our window.

When we brought these issues up to the front desk as a concern we were brushed off. We were in fact told that they had several more venues happening the next few nights so it was as good as it was going to be.

If we could've left without having to pay for a cancellation we would have.

So here we are sitting in the room with an overloaded Wi-Fi the won't work; wondering how this is the same hotel we stayed at earlier this week. What happened to the great service and amazing rooms? Instead it has somehow morphed into an overcrowded non-caring cookie-cutter hotel. This is what is expected of best westerns and super eights when one only cares for a bargain. This is not what is expected of a four-star luxury hotel.

Overall the location is great and the grounds are lovely if there are no events in progress. If you're lucky enough to catch this place on it's quiet times the service is excellent. However if you are one of those unlucky souls who books during an event you can kiss any customer service goodbye. It does not matter to this place if you have booked with them before or not. If you are not part of their top priority,which in essence is a large group, then you are out of luck on all aspects.

Overall extremely disappointing as the standard of customer service they are capable of is not maintained.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SmallTownIDGirl
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. It was great to read your lovely comments about your first stay at the castle. However I am really disappointed with your review of your second visit. You have my sincere apologies that the function in the hotel impacted your stay so negatively. This is not reflective of our usual standard and I can assure you that I will personally be conducting a full investigation into this. We would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion of the castle and to extend to you the high level of product and service that is our usual standard here at Clontarf Castle. If you would like to discuss your stay further please don’t hesitate to contact me at your earliest convenience on +353 18332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Sincere apologies once again for Clontarf Castle Hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Although several miles from City Center, the bus is an easy ride and the locals are very friendly and helpful. Clontarf Castle is a beautifully designed addition to the original castle front with a spacious entry and lobby. Rich materials line the lobby and two restaurants (one at a time) and a bar was open. Lots of visual appeal with knights' armor, lions, gargoyles, and historic photos and paintings. The rooms are very modern with very comfortable beds, A/C (the only hotel in Ireland we had with it), flat screen, and a curved glass shower in the bath. We would definitely stay here on our next trip!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you had such a nice stay at the castle and were so impressed with all the original features. I'm very grateful that you decided to stay with us. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I loved this hotel. great breakfast, great rooms! The only drawback was its location. It is outside Dublin. We had to walk for 10 minutes to get to a bus, then had to take a 15 minute bus ride into Dublin. If you are looking for a quiet place this is for you, if you want to be IN Dublin do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really happy to read that you loved the breakfast and the bedrooms. We are located a couple of miles from the city centre, however with excellent public transport options available, we feel we offer our guests the best of both worlds. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.