“Early check-in helpful”

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Maryland
“Early check-in helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Upon arriving in Dublin on a 5am flight from the states, we were exhausted. We got to the Clontarf Castle Hotel at 7am, and they were able to let us have our room early, at no extra charge. What a welcome relief! We were able to sleep for a few hours before heading out to tour the city. Our room was okay, nothing spectacular. And, there wasn't any view to speak of. Looking out of our window, you faced another part of the building. But, our room was clean, and our bed was comfortable. It was interesting to walk through and stay in an old castle, and learn the history of it. The bus stop to go into the city was a short walk from the hotel, and it dropped us off at a point to access the Hop On, Hop Off bus. It was easy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I was very pleased to read that your early check in was so helpful for you. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service to our guests and being as accommodating as possible so I'm glad you experienced this during your stay. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Mark Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having stayed here a few years ago ,we knew a bit about the hotel, but were in for a treat when we chatted with Michael Byrne, the Concierge. As we hadn't had a tour on our previous visit, we asked about one and he accomodated us within the hour, juggling our request amongst all his other committments with a First Communion, a Birthday party, a Wedding and its reception, etc. We had a most interesting private tour (for just the 2 of us !) as we could tell he just loved AND lived, history! We learned all about the history of the dungeon, the resident ghost, etc. Do ask him on your next visit. He suggested that if we wanted to see the REAL Dublin, to make sure that we visited Kilhmainin Jail, and the famine ship called The Jeanie Johnston, which we did. Thank you Michael for everything,as you made our 2 day vist here extraordinary. For a good and central location to see the sights in Dublin, just take the double decker bus that is a few blocks away, and you are there in 20 minutes!

Room Tip: A room in the new addition would be quiet. .
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of Clontarf Castle hotel. I'm delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found the staff at the castle to be so accommodating. We strive to offer excellent customer service to our guests so I'm very happy that you experienced this during your stay. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

General Mangager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Conceriege Michael couldn't have been more helpful to me, a 'non-guest', in working by phone from overseas to coordinate ground transportation from the hotel to the City Center for a special dinner for my best friend and his wife as the celebrated their honeymoon in Ireland.

Based on this experience I am confident that guests are routinely provided with exceptional care during their stay at Clontarf Castle, and I look forward to my own visit in the future ... thank you, Michael!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. Even though you were not a guest, it's lovely to get feedback from someone who has experienced the hotel in a different way. I'm really happy to read that you received such excellent customer service and I'm delighted that you were so impressed with the service. We would love to welcome you to the castle in the future. Thanks again for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

Holywood,Co Down
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

On arrival I found it very difficult to find a parking space. The car park is small and the grounds are non existent. It looks like the original grounds have been sold off to housing developers during the housing bubble before 2008. It's a shame because we love to walk and booking into a castle you at least would expect lawns to stroll on.
Inside the hotel was no better. The room was your average hotel room with no special features. On our first night we just wanted pub grub so I can't complain about choice but at the least you would have expected your chips to be hot, not warm. The staff are nice and did enquire was everything ok but I would never trust sending food back into a kitchen to be reheated !!
The hotel was very busy with functions, so that must be its niche. Definitely not geared for relaxing breaks

Room Tip: Don't take a room at the back of the hotel. If the bins being emptied in the small hours of the...
1 Thank Avid_traveler27
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that you were not very impressed with the hotel. Although the castle was quite recently refurbished to a very high standard to offer guests a comfortable luxury castle experience, there are little grounds. Unfortunately this is something that is out of our control. We are lucky however, as the castle is in a very nice location with Dollymount promenade really close by.

You have my sincere apologies for the issue with the heat of your food, I will pass your comments onto our bar manager and make sure that this issue is looked into. I'm also very sorry for any noise disturbance you experienced. Regarding emptying the bins, this is an essential task that we try to do very quickly with as little disturbance to guests as possible. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this caused you. On a positive note, I'm happy to read that you found the staff to be good as we strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests. Thanks again for all your feedback, it provides us with food for thought and we really appreciate it.

Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a 10 day self drive tour around Ireland with 5 nights booked in castles. Clontarf Castle was our last stop before flying back to the States. The castle is located in a neighborhood, not conducive for walking anywhere. Upon arriving, the front of the castle is impressive but a modern building has been added on one side. The front doors are automatic sliding glass doors which helps with luggage but not the look and feel of the castle. The lobby is impressive but looks like a Disneyland attraction, not authentic castle. The only service people we encountered were the front desk check in gal, who was very helpful, and the servers in the lobby floor bar who seemed to forget about us. The castle was hosting a wedding the day we arrived so maybe that accounts for that. Our "L" shaped room was small with a tiny but functional bathroom. We didn't really get any rest because we could hear the wedding reception music blasting and pounding in our room until late. We had to leave first thing in the morning so weren't able to stay for breakfast. All in all, nothing really stood out. I could have been staying in any other regular hotel. The experience wasn't unpleasant, just nothing remarkable.

1 Thank W H
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I was disappointed to read that your stay at the castle didn't impress you a great deal. You have my sincere apologies that serving staff were not attentive enough. Regarding the castle itself, it's originally a 12th century building so it has been upgraded, most recently in 2007. It has been designed with guests in mind, incorporating as many original features as possible with modern facilities for the most comfortable luxury guest experience possible. I hope this explains why we haven't kept all authentic castle features. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here in April with my partner for my birthday. It's a lovely hotel which looks very nice inside and out. Rooms are clean and well kept. Food ranged quite a bit, breakfast was very nice both mornings but dinner on the first night was average at best, although was definately nicer on the second night.
Staff were friendly and polite also.
One big downside was that a door in our room seemed like it was a door into the next bedroom - which was confirmed when a man walked through it into our room while we were lying in bed. This happened towards the end of our stay, so clearly this door was unlocked the entire time. There was no lock or anything that we could lock ourselves either.

A very offputting scenario, but other than that te place is lovely and a nice place to stay in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm glad you think the castle is lovely and that the staff are polite and friendly. We aim to offer excellent customer service so I'm happy to hear you experienced this. However, I am very sorry that there was an inconsistency in the quality of food you had and I can assure you that this usually isn't the case. You have my sincere apologies about the incident in your room, this was unacceptable and it's extremely unusual that something like this would occur. If you'd like to speak to me about this please feel free to contact me directly on +353 18332321. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here to attend an on-site conference; very welcoming staff at reception on arrival and throughout my stay. Relaxed atmosphere in the bar in the evening and delicious meal in teh restaurant. Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. It's really great to get feedback from someone who stayed with us for business. I'm delighted you had such a nice stay in the castle and I hope the conference went well. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle in the future.