“Beautiful castle located 10 minutes from Temple Bar by taxi”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Very nice castle hotel updated to contemporary standards while maintaining original structures. Absolutely beautiful hotel in a suburban setting within a 15 minute walk to the Irish Sea and a 15 minute taxi to Temple Bar. Front desk staff were extremely helpful and pleasant.

John and Judy from Boston

• Check in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2008

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that your visit to Clontarf Castle Hotel was most enjoyable.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we appreciate feedback from all of our guests as our vision statement is: "Making History through our passion for excellence".

Many thanks for your review and we very much look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle.

Sales Department

Write a ReviewReviews (4,190)

Reviewed May 1, 2008

My wife and I recently spent a month in England and took a little side trip to Dublin. I was looking for something different and romantic. The Clontarf was perfect. After flying into Dublin, we toured the city for a few hours and then took a local bus to the hotel. It is about 20 minutes outside of the city. The bus stop is right at the hotel entrance. The hotel is absolutely top notch. The service was great in every aspect. I was told that the people in Ireland are very friendly and the staff at the Clontarf proved that without a doubt. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Great bed. Upon check in, the front desk made dinner reservations for us and we dined in the Fahrenheit restaurant. The price was a litetl high, 33 Euros for a steak dinner, however it was top notch. Very nice and relaxing atmosphere.

The rooms have electrical outlets for US appliances, which was nice. Just a flip of a switch in the closet to convert the current.

We booked our room for much cheaper than we could have gotten a room in the city. Transportation is easy in Dublin, so very much worth it to book a nice place just outside the city like this.

Would certainly stay here again and have recommended it to many of my friends.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am most pleased to hear that your stay in Clontarf Castle Hotel was "perfect".

I am also delighted that your dinner in our Fahrenheit Grill was enjoyable and "top notch". The restaurant specializes in steaks using dry aged Irish beef and all produce from our fish to our beef is sourced from exceptional local Irish suppliers to ensure freshness and quality of flavour.

On behalf of all the team here at Clontarf Castle, we very much look forward to your return.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 22, 2008

I think most reviews cover the hotel well, the reception staff are welcoming and efficient, the concierge helpful and the rooms clean, fresh and comfortable. We had a very pleasant and enjoyable stay at the castle and I think it was nicer to be a little out of the city center although not too far!

For me the bad (and it was really bad) was the supposed fine dining restaurant on the property. We booked a table and arrived, We were sat down in a very quiet restaurant with few tables full. The table next to us was vacant and had not been cleared properly or reset, a dirty napkin sat on the bench style seating next to me. Not a major deal but in a fine dining restaurant you expect a decent service. Our orders were taking and when the food arrived the steak I ordered was over cooked. I called the waiter and asked him if "this was medium" and his response was......"i don't know, I am not the chef". I then asked the maitre d, he told me it was medium, trust me it was not, there was no pink and it did not fit the description in the menu. I was tired so did not argue and ate it, I should have sent it back!

Again a few nights later we ordered room service, again the lamb arrived well above medium, it appears the Maitre D was right, that was the chef's so called medium.

The prices were very high, the service very poor and the quality of the food well below standard! It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Funnily enough a cab driver shared with us a similar experience he had at the restaurant and was equally as disappointed, in summary, great place to stay, the casual eating in the pub was fine but don't waste your money in the fine dining restaurant, go to Shanahan's on the Green for dinner and enjoy the castle for the rooms.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am most pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here at Clontarf Castle Hotel.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during your vist and I will most certainly investigate this and ensure that management are made aware of this.

If you have any queries or wish to return to Clontarf Castle Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 20, 2008

Just returned from a week in Ireland with 2 nights at Clontarf and then the rest down in Dublin city center. Clontarf Castle Hotel is really a lovely property. Having done my homework, I knew I wasn't staying in an old castle hotel room. The rooms are modern and quite nice. The hotel is built around the castle - the reception, lobby and bar are in the older part. Lounging in the lobby is quite nice.

Was able to get into my room extremely early which was a delightful suprise to my jetlagged person. Oddly though the room was cleaned but rather than if the people staying there were returning - bag of chips, some garbage, water bottles, etc were all left out. Fresh linens though. Was kinda weird so just cleaned up a bit, took a shower and nap (it was the only room available). Lots of adaptor plugs available, hair dryer in the vanity, in room coffee, nice TV. the mini-bar is a sensor type so don't pick up anything or you'll be charged (it's clearly stated however).

Had a view of the old church and cemetary - and unfortunately, the loading area below (trashy and a bit noisy in the morning). The hallways and doors are definitely not soundproof - noise from doors opening/closing came into the room quite loudly. Always travel with ear plugs so this wasn't a problem.

Ate down in the Knights Bar several times. Great service and the food was quite good. While I knew the hotel was outside of Dublin I was expecting something around the hotel within walking distance. Wasn't much - it's nearly all residential. Without a car you'll really need to town for dining, entertainment and anything else you want to do or just stay at the hotel. I did find that other than the Knights Bar the menus at the other restaurants was rather overpriced.

Clontarf Castle would make a nice romantic getaway, but if you're looking to be within walking distance of seeing the sights and entertainment you may want to stay closer to town.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the food and service most satisfactory.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we appreciate everyone's feedback as it helps us to ensure that every guests experience is most memorable!

Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 20, 2008

We stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel for 2 nights and have just returned home. Wow this really is a wonderful hotel and I would have no hesitation in highly recommending anyone to stay in this hotel. The rooms are immaculate and extremely clean and modern. The staff cannot do enough for you and are very friendly. The hotel is about 15 mins easy bus ride to the centre (€1.50). We could easily have stayed in the hotel for all our stay, that is how good it is. After returning from a day of sightseeing we thoroughly enjoyed an evening spent in the Knights Bar which has a really friendly atmosphere. We would also highly recommend treating yourself to a meal in the restaurant where the food is unbelievable.

Stay in this hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2008

Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for your delightful feedback.

I am most pleased that you were able to experience both our traditional Knights Bar and our stylish Fahrenheit Grill.

Clontarf Castle now offers diners a choice of three diverse food offerings, Fahrenheit Grill, Knights Bar and Indigo Lounge. The variety of cuisine will most certainly whet the appetite of guests who appreciate a high quality dining experience.

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback and should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Reviewed April 17, 2008

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice hotel and yes it has been renovated to a good standard with the main parts of the hotel surrounding the old castle. From the rooms you do not get the feel of being in an historic monument. You either get a view of the car park at the front, or the cemetry, or delivery area at the back. I got to stay in two rooms (I'll get on to that in a minute), both identical except one (233) had a bath with shower attachment and the other (341) a really nice walk in shower. For a hotel which has undergone renovation I was disappointed in the appearance of two things (same in both rooms) - the net curtains had holes and the glass cover to the tables had marks which would probably have quite easily been removed with a blade). Now the reason for my poor mark (compared to others) PLEASE DO READ THIS so as you can avoid at all cost.... The hotel doors to the corridors are not very soundproofed and that is a mild nuissance. BUT they use the same doors on the interconnecting rooms AND only one door between the rooms (as opposed to most hotels which have two). Of course I was able to hear the couple next door as clear as if they were in our bathroom! By chance, we ended up in the same taxi into town later that evening, we had a laugh and it appears they also had to change rooms. The hotel are aware of this problem, "it had been mentioned to them before". OK the hotel was full and they probably sell these rooms last, but that will not help the poor guest who is forced into the situation. Come on management, do something about it! There are apparantly 8 rooms in this situation; if you are placed in one - ASK TO BE MOVED IMMEDIATELY! On a brighter note the reception and management were really nice about it and in fact all the staff are very helpful and polite. Enjoy the hospitality, enjoy the hotel, enjoy Dublin. But do not get put in an interconnecting room - unless of course you want one :)

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. I am delighted that you experienced the warm hospitality of Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Please note that I will most certainly investigate all of your feedback and rest assured that all details will be sent on to management.

I hope this is of assistance to you and should you have any queries, or wish to revisit Clontarf Castle in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed April 9, 2008

A fabulous hotel and excellent value for money. I only stayed one night and wished I could have stayed longer It was such a relaxing environment for a busy hotel. Reception was attractive with the old castle wall adding charm to the place and the staff polite and helpful. The room was spotless, bright and cheerful with some colour, which is refreshing from the dull mute colours that you can encounter in hotels. The bed was so so comfortable I felt as if I was sinking into oblivion when I lied down on it and I had such a deep sleep. There is free parking with the hotel which is convenient and the hotel is just a short trip to the city centre. For such a fabulous hotel, the coffee at breakfast was disappointing, overcooked and lukewarm, but I look forward to staying here again I have stayed in many hotels in Dublin but this hotel has personality. I found it to be a delightful hotel for the money paid.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2008

Dear Guest,

Firstly, I wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is always great to hear a guest's perspective, therefore we always encourage our guests for feedback as it allows us to improve and ensure that everyone experiences a most enjoyable visit!

You are indeed correct that we offer complimentary parking, and as we are only 2 miles from the city centre we are in a most convenient location to venture out and explore what Dublin has to offer.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.