“Lovely looking hotel.”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday night. Fantastic hotel with a top service from the staff. Will be back again soon and have no problem recommending this great hotel. Taxi ride into town 20 euro. Breakfast was great and with plenty on offer to suit all taste's. 5.50 for a pint or a bottle of beer.

• Stayed: February 2013
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay at the castle and that you would recommend us. It's great you enjoyed breakfast, this is very popular among our guests. Taxi's are readily available for guests at the castle, and for anyone looking for a more cost effective alternative, the number 130 bus goes from the bottom of the castle drive every 10 minutes and goes directly to the city for about €2.15. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Mark Long

Write a ReviewReviews (4,190)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I attended a wedding at Clontarf Castle in Feb 2013 and found the staff and service amazing. I have major food allergies and Clontarf Castle ensured I received a top quality meal that met my requirements and still tasted incredible. I normally do not get a desert when I eat out but the manager, Lucas, ensured I had a choice of 2. I would highly recommend this hotel for as a wonderful place to stay especially if you have food allergies.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It's great to hear from someone who attended a function at the castle. I'm delighted you were so well looked after on the day and that we were able to provide for you. I'll be sure to pass your lovely comments on to Lukasz. Thanks again for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it and we hope to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for one night and was asked for a security deposit even though they had my card? Next day noticed other guests checking out were not asked or given a refund of such a security deposit. Sheets in bed were not clean and breakfast the next day was stopped at exactly 11.00 am sharp when they did not give me the wake up call I had booked. Air conditioning vents were dusty as was the top of the fourposter bed. In all it is a lovely looking hotel(it being a refurbished castle), but was a little disappointed with the overall service etc.

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were slightly disappointed with your stay. I'm sorry that there were issues with you having to pay a security deposit, I will look into why this was the case. You have my sincere apologies that the room was not as clean as it should have been and that you didn't recieve the wake up call you requested. This sould not have been the case and I will be bringing this issue up with the relevant departments. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreiciate it.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently stayed with our 4 children in Clontarf Castle and have to see it well exceeded expectations.
from the minute we arrived the staff could not be anymore welcoming and helpful. My son had got a new remote car and could not open the back so the man at reception volunteered to get a screw driver, we were no sooner in the room when he arrived up with the car unscrewed and to me ...this is Irish Hospitality as it should be.
We had interconnecting rooms and again you can could tell the effort by the Hotel in arranging this for us.The beds were so comfortable and the attention to detail in the room was just 5 star! A very clever personalised Castle welcome from Mark Long General Manager and a magazine for each of the Kids......this is their memory of Clontarf Casle and whats more age and gender appropriate.....that is Hotel keeping at its best.

Breakfast the following day was excellent and again the service and attitude of the staff was second to none.the place is spotless from the front door to the shower, another big one in my book!

Well done Clontarf Castle 10/10
Seamus, Audrey and family

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank worsley11
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle hotel. We were delighted to have you and your family stay with us and I'm so happy with all your comments. It's great to read that you found the staff here at the castle to be so accomodating as we pride ourselves on our customer service and hospitality.

Thanks again for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it and we would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the castle in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here based on the Tripadvisor reviews and because we wanted to stay in the castle. The original part of the castle is the lobby and the bar, which are very cool, but certainly not enough reason to pick this hotel. We got little sleep because the bar music went on until 1AM, and was blasting through our walls! We called the front desk at about 12:15 am about this and were told unapologitically, "don't worry, it ends at 1." Ridiculous- we paid for luxury and instead couldn't even try to sleep (and we had to get up early the next day to travel).

In addition, the room was not part of the castle, it was just a regular hotel room, on the small side, and unimpressively furnished. It is pretty far from downtown, which we were ok with to stay in a castle- but since we weren't really staying in a castle, we regretted we weren't somewhere more convenient.

We did have a nice dinner at the restaurant.

1  Thank Tara E

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm very sorry that you were kept awake by music in our bar and for the inconvenience this caused you. Secondly, you have my sincere apologies that you felt a member of staff at reception was unapologetic about this situation. I can assure you that neither of these situations are the norm here at the castle.

Regarding your comments about your room, the castle was completely refurbished in 2007 so while the rooms are modern, they have been decorated with the history of the castle in mind. I was sorry to read that this wasn't to your taste. I'm glad to read that you have a nice dinner in Fahrenheit Grill at the castle. If you do ever decide to return to the castle please contact me on +353 1 833 2321 and I'd be happy to discuss this with you.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were stopping in Dublin for 4 days at the end of our European holiday. We wanted to stay in a castle for its atmosphere. The Clontarf incorporated an old castle with a new hotel built in and around it and we knew this before going. The public areas were part of the old castle and rooms were the new areas. The staff were very helpful and friendly. During our stay 2 of the evenings they were hosting a large formal event and a wedding and although the great hall was packed, we did not hear the remnants of the parties in our rooms at night. Breakfast buffets provided great choices. Make sure if you want the afternoon lunch specials that you get to the Knights Bar and order before 3pm because at 3:05pm they won't let you order from their specials. It was a lovely experience and would recommend to others. PS FInd the little hidden sitting room inear the 1st floor fireplace to share an afternoon tea or evening cocktail

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnMarieBF

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm delighted with all your comments. It's great that you have such a lovely stay and enjoyed the castle, I'm particularly happy you found the staff to be so helpful.

Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and we'd love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This two night stay in Dublin was just about the most comfortable, enjoyable, value for money hotel stay in the capital we've ever had! I booked the Clontarf Castle as a Valentine gift for My wife and from entering the carpark we were not to be disappointed. Good off-street parking in a perfect location. The Hotel is a renovated castle and has managed to hold on to the old classic style while developing a warm, modern, comfortable interior.
Checking in on a friday evening was done quickly and efficiently with a genuine uncontrived Irish welcome at reception. Our room was beautifully decorated and, like the ensuite, was spotlessly clean. Drink prices were more than acceptable and breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious.
All-in-all this was a wonderful stay and not only will we return but we intend making this our regular hotel everytime we visit Dublin! Thanks to all concerned. As a side note, we booked through Hotels.com.

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm so delighted to read that your stay in the castle was the most comfortable, enjoyable, value for money hotel stay in the capital you've ever had. Thanks very much again for such lovely feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.