“Slightly disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointed”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for one night and was asked for a security deposit even though they had my card? Next day noticed other guests checking out were not asked or given a refund of such a security deposit. Sheets in bed were not clean and breakfast the next day was stopped at exactly 11.00 am sharp when they did not give me the wake up call I had booked. Air conditioning vents were dusty as was the top of the fourposter bed. In all it is a lovely looking hotel(it being a refurbished castle), but was a little disappointed with the overall service etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were slightly disappointed with your stay. I'm sorry that there were issues with you having to pay a security deposit, I will look into why this was the case. You have my sincere apologies that the room was not as clean as it should have been and that you didn't recieve the wake up call you requested. This sould not have been the case and I will be bringing this issue up with the relevant departments. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreiciate it.

Mark Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently stayed with our 4 children in Clontarf Castle and have to see it well exceeded expectations.
from the minute we arrived the staff could not be anymore welcoming and helpful. My son had got a new remote car and could not open the back so the man at reception volunteered to get a screw driver, we were no sooner in the room when he arrived up with the car unscrewed and to me ...this is Irish Hospitality as it should be.
We had interconnecting rooms and again you can could tell the effort by the Hotel in arranging this for us.The beds were so comfortable and the attention to detail in the room was just 5 star! A very clever personalised Castle welcome from Mark Long General Manager and a magazine for each of the Kids......this is their memory of Clontarf Casle and whats more age and gender appropriate.....that is Hotel keeping at its best.

Breakfast the following day was excellent and again the service and attitude of the staff was second to none.the place is spotless from the front door to the shower, another big one in my book!

Well done Clontarf Castle 10/10
Seamus, Audrey and family

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank worsley11
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle hotel. We were delighted to have you and your family stay with us and I'm so happy with all your comments. It's great to read that you found the staff here at the castle to be so accomodating as we pride ourselves on our customer service and hospitality.

Thanks again for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it and we would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the castle in the future.

Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here based on the Tripadvisor reviews and because we wanted to stay in the castle. The original part of the castle is the lobby and the bar, which are very cool, but certainly not enough reason to pick this hotel. We got little sleep because the bar music went on until 1AM, and was blasting through our walls! We called the front desk at about 12:15 am about this and were told unapologitically, "don't worry, it ends at 1." Ridiculous- we paid for luxury and instead couldn't even try to sleep (and we had to get up early the next day to travel).

In addition, the room was not part of the castle, it was just a regular hotel room, on the small side, and unimpressively furnished. It is pretty far from downtown, which we were ok with to stay in a castle- but since we weren't really staying in a castle, we regretted we weren't somewhere more convenient.

We did have a nice dinner at the restaurant.

1 Thank Tara E
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm very sorry that you were kept awake by music in our bar and for the inconvenience this caused you. Secondly, you have my sincere apologies that you felt a member of staff at reception was unapologetic about this situation. I can assure you that neither of these situations are the norm here at the castle.

Regarding your comments about your room, the castle was completely refurbished in 2007 so while the rooms are modern, they have been decorated with the history of the castle in mind. I was sorry to read that this wasn't to your taste. I'm glad to read that you have a nice dinner in Fahrenheit Grill at the castle. If you do ever decide to return to the castle please contact me on +353 1 833 2321 and I'd be happy to discuss this with you.

Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were stopping in Dublin for 4 days at the end of our European holiday. We wanted to stay in a castle for its atmosphere. The Clontarf incorporated an old castle with a new hotel built in and around it and we knew this before going. The public areas were part of the old castle and rooms were the new areas. The staff were very helpful and friendly. During our stay 2 of the evenings they were hosting a large formal event and a wedding and although the great hall was packed, we did not hear the remnants of the parties in our rooms at night. Breakfast buffets provided great choices. Make sure if you want the afternoon lunch specials that you get to the Knights Bar and order before 3pm because at 3:05pm they won't let you order from their specials. It was a lovely experience and would recommend to others. PS FInd the little hidden sitting room inear the 1st floor fireplace to share an afternoon tea or evening cocktail

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnMarieBF
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm delighted with all your comments. It's great that you have such a lovely stay and enjoyed the castle, I'm particularly happy you found the staff to be so helpful.

Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and we'd love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Cavan
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This two night stay in Dublin was just about the most comfortable, enjoyable, value for money hotel stay in the capital we've ever had! I booked the Clontarf Castle as a Valentine gift for My wife and from entering the carpark we were not to be disappointed. Good off-street parking in a perfect location. The Hotel is a renovated castle and has managed to hold on to the old classic style while developing a warm, modern, comfortable interior.
Checking in on a friday evening was done quickly and efficiently with a genuine uncontrived Irish welcome at reception. Our room was beautifully decorated and, like the ensuite, was spotlessly clean. Drink prices were more than acceptable and breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious.
All-in-all this was a wonderful stay and not only will we return but we intend making this our regular hotel everytime we visit Dublin! Thanks to all concerned. As a side note, we booked through Hotels.com.

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm so delighted to read that your stay in the castle was the most comfortable, enjoyable, value for money hotel stay in the capital you've ever had. Thanks very much again for such lovely feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Pros:
-Excellent food ans wine
-Great atmosphere
-Most staff were very friendly and helpful
-Hotel is very luxurious
-Room was spacious, quiet and warm
-Bar had live music

Cons:
-Huge queue at breakfast the following morning when we went down at 10.30. Shortage of food, glasses, staff etc.
-Receptionist(female) that checked us in was rude, unfriendly and made us feel like we were really annoying her and interrupting whatever she was doing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CLG98765
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I really enjoyed reading your review, I'm delighted with all the Pro's on your list. Regarding the Con's, breakfast service can get quite busy in the mornings however I'm sorry that there was a lack of food, glasses and staff. I'm very disappointed with your comment about your check in, you have my sincere apologies that you found someone to be rude to you. This is not acceptable and I will be following this up personally. Thanks again for your reveiw, we appreciate the feedback.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner & I stayed at Clontarf Castle for two nights from the 27th January (it would have been 3 only the hotel did not have the availabilty), and my only complaint is that the stay was not long enough. It was a dream to be a guest here. From the moment we arrived until the minute we left, it was pure heaven. The staff were fabulous. Luke at reception was so helpful, friendly and extremely professional. Michael the concierge was so pleasant to deal with and very knowledgeable. We stayed in an executive room and it was so comfortable, there was always hot water, it was well decorated, clean and the temperature in the room was just right. We had a meal in the restaurant and the food was second to none. The restaurant staff were very obliging, nothing was too much hassle.There was a lovely decorated, modern, well laid out grill room if you just wanted somewhere casual to eat in, have a quick snack in or just to relax with a coffee. Breakfast again was first class. We also had breakfast on Room Service and it was very warm, plenty of it and well presented. We got everything that we had ordered and more! The Castle has a large car park which is complimentary. It was lovely to come back from Dublin on a wet, windy afternoon/evening and sit by the open fire and enjoy a drink in very comfortable surroundings. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, all over the world and I have to admit that this was def well within my top favourites. There was so much to look around. A beautiful snug if you wanted to just be on your own and just think or have a quiet read. There is a lovely cosy bar if you wanted a bit of craic and live music. We enjoyed our stay so much that we have booked again to return at the end of March as part of my 40th Birthday celebrations and are in fact bringing my parents with us to let them enjoy the amazing hospitality that is offered here at Clontarf Castle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted with all your comments, it's great that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thans again for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. We'd be delighted to welcome you back to the castle in the future if you return to Dublin.