“Beautiful, in every way.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
suzgermany
“Beautiful, in every way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

There is no shortage of atmosphere at this "Hotel". I stayed here for several days, which was by far not enough. The hotel staff was gracious, the beds were comfortable, taxis are abundant and you aren't terribly far from anything you need. It seemed as though I would find a new area of the hotel each night that I wasn't aware had existed the previous night. There are so many nooks and crannies. Amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm delighted that you had such a nice time during your stay with us at the castle. The hotel really is full of character and our guests seem to love exploring and hearing about the history of it. If you return in the future, be sure to ask a member of our concierge department for a tour. Thanks again for your feedback, we woud be delighted to welcome you back agian in the future.

Mark Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Hernando, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

During the first week of January, my fiance and I stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. The hotel was absolutely astonishing and the staff was very helpful. One staff member in particular, Michael Byrne, went beyond his mandatory duties as the hotel concierge to make our trip memorable. He aided in booking tours, fine dining, and other various attractions. I hope to return to Dublin, I will most definitely be staying at the Clontarf Castle Hotel again because of Michael's dedication to customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm delighted you had such a good stay with us at the castle. It's great to read that you were treated so well by the staff here as we strive to provide all our guests with excellent customer service. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to Michael in our Concierge department, who is very popular among all our guests. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and we would love to welcome you back in the future.

Derby, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner booked for us to stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel in November 2012 as part of a short break.
The hotel is set around 2 miles out of Dublin City Centre and costs around 12 Euro in a taxi or you can catch the bus which is 1.90 euro and takes around 15mins.

We were early to the hotel as we had an early morning flight so headed over to see if we could check in, even though it was only 10am! No problems with this at all. The reception staff were helpful and advised us that there was no problem with an early check in as the room was ready.

The room itself was lovely - the only downside being that it faced out onto the bin area so you could hear the staff talking etc when they were out there but with the windows closed it was fine.

We paid for an executive room, and it didnt disappoint. A large king sized bed, mini bar, large room, large bathroom, bathrobes and slippers.

There was a wedding at the hotel on one of the nights and a function the next night. We were not disturned by any noise from the group and even saw some of them still partying when we got up to leave at 6am for our flight!

Breakfast in the morning was good. The only downside for me was that there was no option of any vegetarian sausages which i think in this day and age should pretty much be a staple around Europe. However, the rest of the breakfast was good. The staff appeared a little overwhelmed by how busy it was on the first day and as such, were slow at clearing tables, replenishing the buffet etc whilst we were there but the second day was business as usual. There was a good choice of fruit juice although not much choice with the pastries. As i found out, baked beans are available on request! (I can only assume an Irish breakfast doesnt traditionally come with baked beans and therefore that is why they dont have them on the hot buffet)

The experience with the reception staff, cleaning staff, restaurant and bar staff was excellent all round.

Over all, i would stay here again and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. It's great to read that you found the reception staff to be so helpful and efficient and also that you loved your room. I'm glad that the functions on at the castle during your stay didnt disturb you at all. I completely take your comments regarding breakfast on board and will consider your suggestions. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

On Nov 2nd, I was a guest at Clontarf Castle in Dublin. Needless to say the hotel was wonderful. As I was packing to return to the US, I realized that my jewelry pouch was missing. I thought that I may have left it at our previous hotel in Killarney. Michael Byrne, the concierge helped getting it sent back to me. I am very grateful to Michael.

Claire McNicholas

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff here treated you so well. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to Michael in our Concierge department. Thanks again for your feedback and we would be delighted to welcome you back to the caslte in the future if you return to Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to this hotel on a few occasions (last time dec.2012) and it has always been a pleasure.
Inside is a maze of old and new architecture that makes you feel like in a time machine !
Service is always swift and warm. Bed is confortable.
The restaurant is also very good and at a decent price. Ask what other wines they have.
I recommend the 'Knight with a star' package if you appreciate good food.
Breakfast finishes at 10, not 10:30 ...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. It's great to hear from a guest who has stayed with us on several occasions. I'm delighted you have enjoyed your stays with us and we would love to welcome you again in the future. Thanks again for your feeback, we really appreciate it.

Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was traveling solo over the holidays in Dublin, and was seeking a unique place to stay where festivities were abundant and I wouldn't feel too lonely. Clontarf Castle Hotel completely fit the bill. I purchased the 3-night Christmas package, which was delightful. It included my room, most meals, and all the festivities. Christmas Eve included mulled wine, champagne, and mincemeat pies for all. Most meals were held in the lovely Fahrenheit Grill, and the food was quite good. If you're a fan of irish breakfasts, you'll be happy. I was also happy they served delicious porridge and soda bread, along with delicious brewed coffee! Americans will appreciate this.

The castle itself in beautiful, and everything one would want and expect. The décor and incredible stone and woodwork, as well as all the detailed ceilings and special spaces are awe-inspiring. A massive fireplace in the main lobby was a highlight. The Knight's Pub quickly became my go-to spot for the perfect pint of Guinness, and I also enjoyed two meals which were both outstanding. I highly recommend the fish bake as well as the smoked salmon and dill potato salad! The bar is incredibly ornate, and is truly a feast for the eyes. From the ceiling to the bar to the furnishings and the beautiful leaded and stained glass, I spent hours simply relaxing over a pint or two. Another favorite spot s the castle's dungeon, with old chairs and a wooden table to enjoy some drinks or just relax. This was a true gem.

The room itself was fair. I had a queen room, and was happy with the size of the space. It wasn't small by any means. It had a nice seating area with a table and two comfy chairs, one with an ottoman. The desk area also contained a flat-screen TV and a US power outlet! This was unexpected and appreciated. The room has a mini-bar, but it's purely beverages. The bed was attractive, but I found the sheets to be quite cheap and starched. I much prefer softer, higher thread count sheets. The pillows were foam, which I also found uncomfortable as I prefer down. The mattress itself was fine. The bathroom was fair, but stark. The amenities were dreadful, and I was glad I'd taken those from a previous hotel. The nice TV had a mere 8 channels, with the option of purchasing up. I found that rather gauche at a castle. My package wasn't exactly inexpensive. Entertainment options like expanded TV should be inclusive. No radio to listen to. I felt the hotel really needs to step up in room amenities. Even the towels were cheap and scratchy. That said, you're not spending much time in your room and by the end of a long day, it's a fine place to retire to.

The concierge Michael Byrne was incredibly helpful and friendly, and went above and beyond to make my stay as peasant as possible. The rest of the staff was fair. I'd definitely stay here again, but hope they procure new linens soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review and thank you for choosing to spend some of your Christmas vacation with us. It's great to read that you had such a nice time in the castle and that you found it to have such a good atmosphere. I'm also glad you thought so highly of the food at the castle as we really pride ourselves on our high quality meals. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to Michael in our Concierge department, who I'm sure will be delighted with your compliments. I also take your comments regarding the room amenities on board and will consider your suggestions. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Bailieborough, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This beautiful hotel is located in quiet suburbs, but 15 minutes on a regular bus route brings you into the centre of Dublin without the hassle and expense of parking. The hotel is architecturally interesting and attractive, with friendly and helpful staff, a great bar and varied menu to suit all tastes in both casual and more formal dining. The bedrooms are clean, comfortable and well equipped, with a very comfy mattress indeed.

Thank you Clontarf for the free upgrade to an executive room for my husband's birthday, and the other lovely little touches which made our (2nd) stay with you so memorable - we will be back !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us. It's great that you like the location, your room, the food, the bars and the staff. I'm very happy that the staff treated you so well and upgraded your room since it was a special occasion. Thanks again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We would love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Yours Sincereley,