“A lovely time had by all.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
United Kingdom
“A lovely time had by all.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here as a family holiday during the half term october break. We where on a Bed and Breakfast basis. The rooms where modern and very clean. No noise was heard throughout out stay. There was ample parking for many cars and the hotel was very busy towards the later half of the week. We where greeted very well and informed of closures and details of tours.
We had dinner in the pub down stairs 3 times and the food was good. If you order the Ribs to share they really mean to share they are big. We had a walk down to the sea front it took about 10mins. The buses run nearby but we did not use them as we had our car.It took 10 mins to the centre of dublin by car. The hotels wifi worked well both in the room and reception area. Would I stay here again most likely if we come back to Dublin.

Cleanliness
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us in the castle and thanks for your feedback. I’m really happy with all your comments; it’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay. I’m happy to read that you liked the food, your room and that you found the staff to be informative. It’s great to see that you would return to visit us if you come back to Dublin, we would love to welcome you back. Thanks again for your review, we really appreciate the feedback.

Mark Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here two weeks ago for one night a. This hotel is a little piece of heaven close to Dublin city. Most of the hotel is modern built mixed with the old castle walls. Our room was very spacious with two double beds, bath and a shower, plasma TV and lots of storage in a walk-in wardrobe. I believe this was a standard room as this is what we had booked. We had dinner in the bar which was part of the old castle building and the food was very good and reasonably priced. We did not try the restaurant. The staff were always attentive and they were more than happy to help us with directions. Overall we really enjoyed our short stay at the Castle.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for staying with us and for your kind review. I’m really happy with all your comments and it’s great to read that you enjoyed your room, the food and found the staff to be helpful. Excellent customer service is very important to us so I’m delighted that you had a good experience while staying with us. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it. We hope to welcome you back to the castle if you return to Dublin again.

Fallbrook, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed on two seperate date during our trip to Ireland. The first night I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Freindly, helpful nice room, good restaurant ect.. It was mid-week and I do not believe the hotel was ful.The second stay was like a differant hotel. It was a Friday and I believe the hotel was ful.We did not get the same room.( even though we were told we would have the same room at the time we intially book the second room ). The room was located right over the loading of the kitchen and the walkway to the trash. They rolled out very noisy carts until 11:30pm and started again at 6:30 am. The restaurant was not large enough to accomadate the amount of guest. For lunch we gave up waiting and went into Dublin. For dinner we ended up at the bar. They did their best, but the service was moderate at best. The stall was still friendly. The exterior is still beautiful with a great location, but they do not offer good service when busy.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your feedback. I’m really happy to read that you enjoyed your first night so much. You have my sincere apologies that your second night wasn’t as good as your first night. You’re absolutely right about us being fully booked. This does make things more challenging; however we always strive to offer our guests a very high standard experience no matter what the situation. Thanks again for your feedback, I’ll be sure to pass your comments onto the relevant departments in order to investigate the issues you raised.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this very welcoming and well run hotel.Staff at reception were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient showing how well-trained staff can make all the difference.The Consierge was extremely helpful and exuded a sense of good old-fashioned ,yet efficient manner showing concern for all who were in reception.
The food in the restaurant was superb.My wife had lamb, the like of which I have never tasted,and naturally I helped her with some of her generous portion.At breakfast the choice was very good but also staff were very attentive even though it was buffet-style.
Rooms in the hotel are of a very high quality with our room having a four-poster bed, a sitting area and all the necessary coffee-making facilities, mini-bar and TV.
Clontarf Castle is a good stopping point as you can escape the hustle of Dublin by driving towards Howth but also you can leave the car in the car-park and take the local bus right into
the Spike in Dublin where you can experience the Craic.
One final feature is the reception area where you can sit at the fire side to read the newspapers however this needs a little TLC as there are very limited seating possibilities and the leather couches have seen better times.( Agreed this is a minor issue)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the castle. I’m delighted to read that you and your wife had such a good stay. I’m really happy with all your comments regarding how much you liked the food, the facilities and the staff at the castle. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service. Thanks so much for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. We would love to welcome you back to the castle if you return to Dublin in the future.

Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My new husband and I stayed at Clontarf Castle for three nights while we were honeymooning this past month.

Clontarf is very very cool in the way it has transformed the castle part into dining rooms and bars. The actual guest rooms are not in the original castle, but they are beautiful, comfortable and emit the feeling of being in a castle chamber either way!

It does retain the feeling of being at a hotel, which is normal since it is one, but nonetheless the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and upgraded our room for our honeymoon! We were met with a bottle of champagne as well which was unexpected but most welcome.

The stay can be pricey but the comfort of the rooms, the beautiful architecture of the castle and proximity to Dublin's city centre is worth it for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us on your honeymoon. Congratulations on your recent nuptials. I’m delighted that you had such a fantastic stay and I’m really pleased with all of your comments. It’s great to read that you loved the design of the castle and that the staff treated you so well during your trip. We would love to welcome you back again if you return to Dublin in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife & I were given a present of a one night stay here with a full Irish breakfast to boot.Its a 5 star hotel and it shows.Our room was absolutely beautiful and had everything we needed in regards to TV and tea station.The one thing I found very odd tho was the lack of necessities in the bathroom.There was a lack of shampoos and body wash.The bar area is spacious and service is good but the staff didn't seem to be aware of the running and screaming kids which annoyed everyone trying to have a quiet drink while the parents had a quiet drink in the snug area.There is an open fire in the lobby and the kids got great fun climbing up and playing with it.The parents fault of course.Other than people's stupidity,we found the Clontarf Castle faultless and would be ideal for weddings.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I’m delighted to read that you liked the castle, its facilities and the service. I’m very sorry that there was a lack of enough toiletries in your bathroom. Should our guests ever require more toiletries they are available on request. You have my sincere apologies if you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel. Although this is quite a rare occurrence I do understand your frustration by this and I take your comments on board. Thanks again for your review.

London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was our first stop during our honeymoon. The arrival was very impressive and the castle was beautiful. Walking through the entrance flanked by lion stations and suits of armour had us in awe. The receptionist wasn't overly welcoming and our room wasn't ready but we were very early and they were nice enough to take our luggage so we could wander around a bit while we waited.
The room was ready within an hour which we appreciated after a long trip and we booked a suite which we were looking forward to. Open entering the room we were really impressed! Lots of space and dramatic decor including a floor to ceiling lavish mirror with a gilded frame. We did start to notice some things about the room that were a bit off, a bar of soap under the tub that was missed when it was being cleaned and just an over all rushed feel. The shower leaked quite a bit from the corner and ended up pooling on the floor. After the shower as I was using the hair towel I noticed in was monogrammed with a F which I found odd as nowhere in the name of this place is there an F - weird. Also the Hair dryer, which I found in the desk drawer, turned on and off if it overheated and eventually stopped working all together. It was also attached to the inside of the drawer so I couldn't use it in the bathroom.
The room itself was very quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable. They even provide you with robes and slippers for 2 presented on the bed which was nice. We were a bit put off by the fact that an employee entered the living area of our room to check the mini bar after we had checked in. We had the DND sign on our bed room door but there wasn't one to put on the other door. He apologized and quickly left - also not sure why the mini bar needed to be checked the morning we arrived as it was an electronic mini bar so they would know if anything was missing.
We had dinner in the restaurant and it was very good - We were trying to stay traditional with food and had Irish stew and Fish and Chips! The place got quite busy near the end of the evening so it was clearly a popular spot.
Overall we enjoyed our short stay but would not recommend getting the suite. Although there was lots of room, it's a bit run down and the cleaning was rushed - although that might have been since we arrived early.

Room Tip: If you're only there for one night, no need to get the suite - it's too much room for a shor...