“Awful experience.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Awful experience.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

As a member of our sports and social committee I thought it would be nice to have an overnight stay with dinner for the staff in the Clontarf Castle hotel. I phoned the venue and dealt with a very helpful employee named Robert, who provided me with a very good deal. I booked seven double rooms and one triple room, which included a meal in the bar and breakfast the following morning. Robert kindly reserved an area in the bar for 7.30pm.

On arrival we were greeted at the check-in desk by a surly and abrupt girl. My room key card did not work nor did one of my colleagues who also checked in with me. A gentleman delivered new key cards to me but a colleague of mine had to return to the reception area where he received no apology whatsoever for this issue.

When it came to dinner we headed to the bar where the bar manager, who was aware of our 7.30pm reservation, told us that there was no area available for us. We were left with no option but to wait in the bar for thirty minutes until an area became available for us.
When we finally sat down for dinner, our table was of an inadequate size for our booking, with no space between placings. The food served was sub standard for a four star hotel.
For my main course I decided to have the prawn linguini in a cream and mushroom sauce. This consisted of overcooked spaghetti with prawns, floating in a copious amount of flavorless water. In order to avoid a scene I ate the meal, however, the standard of this was shocking. I spoke to my colleagues afterwards and the majority of them were just as unimpressed as I was.

The bar closed at approximately 1.30am so I moved to the reception area with the five remaining staff from my party. We decided to order a round of drinks and a few sandwiches before retiring to bed. We were told that the sandwiches could only be served to a room. Although I found this strange, we obliged and retired to a room.
When my colleague who had been nominated to place the sandwich order phoned reception there was no reply for ten minutes. When the phone was finally answered she was told in a highly abrupt tone that due to a noise complaint we were not allowed to order anything. This was simply an outrageous claim, given the fact that we were in our room a mere ten minutes and were chatting at a suitable level. At this point I decided to go down to reception with a colleague. We were confronted by an ignorant night manager who threatened to charge us for the rooms on the entire floor due to this noise complaint.
This was, to put it simply, an outlandish threat.

We were forced to go to another room to order these sandwiches. Whilst waiting for the sandwiches to arrive we noticed that the manager was patrolling the corridors outside our room listening for any noise. I might point out that we were whispering like mass-goers at this stage. This was just another example of the awful treatment that we encountered.

I would like to point out that we spent a lot of money on this night and to be treated in the manner listed above is quite frankly inexcusable.

To note on matters not included in the above, the room was very small, with twin beds so close that they touched. The room itself however was clean and modern. The bathroom was nice, however the shower had very bad water pressure. One towel was located in the bathroom having to search the room for another one. very odd..

Breakfast was luke warm with many items not replenished even though we arrived at 10.30am with breakfast service due to end at 11am.

Neither I nor anyone else in our party would stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank twinkle170

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bruff, Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here recently for a conference. The castle itself is beautiful from the outside and there's some nice little snugs for coffee and chats. That's where the positivity ends. I was given a smoking room when I had asked for non-smoking. Plastic disposable glasses in the bathroom seemed very cheap for such a "high quality" hotel. €23 for a cooked breakfast including soggy hash browns and white pudding and cold eggs. First morning the "basket of pastries" for the in-room breakfast was a croissant and a mini apple danish. We tried the buffet the next day and it took 10 minutes to be seated and another 10 to get coffee. The "freshly squeezed juice" had likely been squeezed out of a carton that morning. At dinner that night we spent an hour waiting for our food. I felt sorry for the staff as they were clearly rushed off their feet and trying their best but this was not good enough. This hotel doesn't deserve its' star rating in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Dee H
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. I was disappointed to hear about the food and the service in the restaurant – it is clearly not acceptable nor up to our usual high standards of service. We have since put into place a new breakfast programme which ensures our full Irish breakfast is always fresh. In relation to the sealed disposable glasses in our bathrooms; we have put these in as they are extremely hygienic. I do hope you will consider returning to stay with us again so we can show you the true Clontarf Castle experience.
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Clontarf Castle Hotel is something special. The bedroom was comfortable and spacious and the bathroom modern and spotless. We ate in the hotel bar which was tasty and breakfast had a good choice. The staff were friendly and professional. The actual hotel building is beautiful.
There was just one small thing, there was a noisy plastic cover under the sheet and I woke up stuck to the sheet with sweat during the night! Its just a small thing but Im sure there must be an alternative cover.
Overall, a lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such a great stay with us recently and it was nice to hear how impressed you were with everything from your room to the food and service of our staff members. I hope you had a terrific visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We had a fantastic 2 night stay at the castle. The rooms were great and the most comfortable beds we slept in! Eric and the rest of the staff were so helpful with everything we asked for. They helped us figure out the schedule into Dublin, getting us the tour bus for the next day and even confimied our flights for us! The food was fantastic and plentiful. We plan on visiting them again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m so glad you had such a nice stay with us and that you were impressed with everything from your room, the food and the service of our staff members. I hope you had a truly memorable stay and I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

An impressive hotel with the modern structure integrated nicely in the former castle. The rooms do not convey a feeling like you're in a castle (like other castle hotels in Ireland do), but they're nonetheless clean and nice. Was impressed with the interior decor, but considering I usually stay in hostels this was a nice treat. My parents enjoyed their stay here (except for the breakfast not included oh well).

Taxi driver knew exactly where this hotel was - no problem getting there from airport nearby (but don't rely on public transport late night). The metro into Dublin city was a 15 min walk through a quiet residential neighborhood; Google directions from hotel to Killester (Cill Easra) station and find on reception provided map. Didn't really get the impression anyone in late night reception knew the surrounding area, so just explored myself. Venturing out to Clontarf town for fish and chips by the water was a short and safe walk. That seemed to be the only place where you could find food outside the hotel. It is in a residential neighborhood after all.

Would definitely return if I wanted to splurge on a nice hotel in Dublin again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It was nice to hear that you were impressed with the décor and location of the hotel. As you mention we are located in a beautiful coastal area just outside of the city – about 10 minutes drive. Our surroundings are that of a safe and quiet residential area – great for walking and taking in stunning views of the coast. I hope you had a great time in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time soon.
Westminster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My Wife and I just got back from a most remarkable trip to Dublin and surrounding areas, to say that the hospitality that was afforded to us was great or excellent doesn’t do it justice. Eric at the hospitality desk is truly a remarkable person, he’ll bend over backwards to help with trip plans and will even go as far as finding local cuisine, calling to get you a reservation, or order take out if that’s what you desire. He and the staff are very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and that makes things very easy. The castle is great and the food is good too but the staff in its entirety will make you feel like your welcomed home.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I was so glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were with the service of our dedicated staff members. I’m sure Eric our dedicated Concierge will be delighted to hear your kind words, as will the rest of our staff. I hope you had a truly terrific visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit.
The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We recently stayed at Clontarf castle to relive the memories of our wedding reception which was held there. The historic feel of the castle is warm and inviting, the location is second to none, being a short walk from the seafront and 15 mins from Dublin city centre. The staff are nice and helpful and breakfast was delicious. I booked an Executive room but did not see a huge difference between it and the standard room. The water pressure and temperature in the shower was poor, these were the only negative points which we rather minor, the rest was great. We will be back again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melchior1
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice review. I’m so glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and were impressed with everything from the location & atmosphere to the food and service. I hope you had a great stay and enjoyed many memories of your wedding reception. I would be delighted to welcome you back anytime.