“Treated like royality”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Check end after a very long day of driving/exploring and was welcomed as though we were frequent visitors. The room was wonderful (except the internet would not work). Lovely accommodations and the food was delish! We had both dinner and breakfast. Great selections and perfectly prepared.

The BEST was Eric, the concierge. Beyond helpful and so knowledgeable. Think next trip we'll pick him up as our personal tour guide.

Good "specials" are available so don't pass this one up without checking it out thoroughly!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the kind review. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay here at the castle. I’m glad you were impressed by your room and that you found the food and service to be exceptional. I hope you had a wonderful trip to Ireland and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the castle again on your next visit.
Mark Long

Write a ReviewReviews (4,287)

Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed here on business, and would definitely return for pleasure. It is perfect for a relaxing weekend away. The room I had was spacious, and beautifully furnished (I had a four poster bed). The bathroom was also spacious, and very modern.

The staff were exceptionally helpful and very friendly.

The only drawback is that the hotel is hidden away in a residential area, so you will have to take a taxi to and from the city centre.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sonyamhr
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I am delighted you had a great stay with us here at the castle. I’m especially glad you enjoyed the décor of the room which is something we are often complimented on. As you mention, we are located in a quiet residential area just outside the city centre, however the hotel is frequently serviced by the 130 bus which leaves from just outside and will get you there in 10 minutes. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

We really liked this hotel - the beds were HUGE and although the rooms were almost a little too small for the size of beds they have, that's really the only complaint I would have. It was far enough away from downtown that it made getting out less stressful, but still close enough that it was a short cab ride over.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned we are located just outside the city centre about a 10 minute bus journey away. I hope you had a great trip to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Conceptually, the opportunity to stay in a castle, or even the modern wing of a hotel attached to the castle, should be a wonderful experience. Sadly, Clontarf Castle doesn't quite hit the mark. While not necessarily in the premium price bracket, it isn't cheap and trades somewhat off its name. The accomodation itself, although functional, misses out on the little niceties you'd expect in a hotel at this price (cheap shampoo, no conditioner, no facecloth, no water pressure in the shower... this isn't because of a medieval plumbing system, just poor delivery).
On a positive note, the breakfast selection is extensive and you'll be hard pressed to find a better Irish breakfast. The location offers easy access to the city by public transport and a choice of great restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. I am very disappointed that you didn’t find your stay here to be as agreeable as most of our other guests. However I am glad that you did enjoy our full Irish breakfast in Knight’s Bar, and also that you found the hotel’s proximity to the city centre more than ideal. The public transport you mention is the 130 bus which leaves frequently from just outside the hotel and takes just 10 minutes to get to the city centre. I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Ireland and I hope that you would consider staying with us again sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

My wife and I chose to stay at Clontarf on the tail end of our Irish vacation and we were pretty disappointed with our visit. Prior to booking, we emailed back and forth with the Castle, indicating that we wanted the free-standing Victorian bath that was being offered as part of the executive room. We were informed that most of the executive rooms had them and to include it as part of our request when we made the reservation. When we arrived, we found it did not have this feature. In fact, when we returned, we were informed that only one of the rooms has this feature and the bath we did have was small and uncomfortable. The bathroom itself was drably designed in monotone colours. Every once in a while, we got the strong smell of sulphur and we couldn't figure out if it was coming from the bathroom or somewhere else. When I pay over €300 for a room, I expect it to be beautifully designed and appointed. I was asked how my stay was upon checkout and felt compelled to be honest and nothing was done to attempt to make things better. When I mentioned, "the only reason we chose the executive room was because of the non-existent free-standing bath," I fully expected them to reduce my rate. Instead, they sent me an email apologizing.

On a positive note, I will mention the things that were good about this hotel. The breakfast was delicious, the grounds were gorgeous and the atmosphere was romantic. I only wish more effort was put into the rooms. That's why we felt we paid for the word castle.

Room Tip: Avoid the executive suites...you're not getting the victorian bath.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCBY
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We purchased the mid-week special, which was to include dinner and a bottle of wine at the restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant and the upscale bar were closed for a wedding, so we had to eat in the pub. The acting manager did offer a concesion on the rate and an upgraded wine, but the mood was ruined, this was a special occasion for us.

Had to argue w/ the staff at the pub for about 30 minutes to get them to let us order from the restaurant menu instead of the pub menu. There were dozens of people in the pub with similar problems,,,apparently the hotel thinks it is fine to close the restaurant to paying guests.

Then in the alley directly behind out first-floor room, hotel staff were out all hours banging trash cans and rolling empty kegs.

Avoid the Clontarf. The rooms are not in the castle, they are small, cramped, and dated.

Room Tip: Make sure there is anot a wedding scheduled.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmyawn

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay here at the castle. On the day in question we did have a wedding in our restaurant and unfortunately it meant we could not take dinner reservations until after 8pm.
I have spoken to the bar manager about the points you have raised in relation to the noise and ordering from the restaurant menu. Please be assured that this is not a common occurrence here and I am deeply sorry it disrupted your stay. Thank you again for your constructive feedback as it is a useful means of helping us to improve our products standard. I hope that you will possibly consider staying with us again so that I have the opportunity to show you the real Clontarf Castle experience.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was our first trip to Ireland and we really wanted to stay in a castle. This was a great choice because it was affordable, the castle is beautiful and it is a short easy bus trip into Dublin. The room was a standard hotel room, nothing special but fine. I liked that it had an American plug since it turned out our adaptor/converter wasn't working properly. My one complaint was that when we checked in we were asked if we wanted internet access. We said yes but we couldn't get our computer to work. My husband had to go back downstairs and ask why it wasn't working before we were given the wireless code. We spent some time in the hotel bar and it was nice atmosphere and the bartender was a lot of fun. The concierge, Tom, was particularly helpful in giving us places to see and information on the bus. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Perfect if you want to stay near Dublin but not in the city - bus is a few short blocks away
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the castle. I am sorry to learn that you were having difficulties with the broad band, on that particular day we were upgrading our complimentary wifi system to 25mb which lead to a disruption in the service for a short time. I am glad that you could make use of the American plug socket which is a standard feature in all of our rooms here at the castle. As you mentioned, we are very close to Dublin City, the 130 bus (which leaves from right outside the castle) will get you there in 10 mins. I hope that you enjoyed your overall trip to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.