“It's everything you're expecting from a castle-hotel experience”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Seattle, WA
“It's everything you're expecting from a castle-hotel experience”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Finally got caught up from my trip to Dublin and really want to share the experience we had at this hotel for anyone making plans to Dublin and considering hotels.

This property is truly remarkable.

We stayed 9 nights during the week of St. Patrick's Day in Dublin. Having arrived early Saturday morning on a connecting flight from Paris, I wasn't sure if they would have a room available, but they did (thanks Nolan!). I had requested a "quiet room with a view" (as I am sure we all do), and they gave me a great room on the top (4th) floor. This was important to me as I'd read in other reviews that the hotel could get noisy with wedding parties, etc. The quiet and location of the rooms away from the main wedding/meeting/reception areas is exceptional - don't be fooled, its a very quiet hotel.

Parking is complimentary, great as we had a rental car from DUB for the entire time. I concur with other travelers on 2 fronts: don't drive in Dublin proper (as you get nearer the central city, its a zoo) and the hotel is a bit outside of the main areas that you'll most likely be sightseeing. We walked into the central city on days 1, 2 and it is actually about a 25 minute walk to Ha'penny bridge (for example). There is a bus stop right near the entrance of the castle itself, but that's not the one you want...keep walking down Castle Avenue and follow it to Clontarf Road and pick up the bus near the intersection with the traffic lights. Buses come about every 10-15 minutes, and the fare to central Dublin is 1.67 EUR per adult. This takes about 20 minutes (+ 5 minute walk to the stop) so basically the same amount of time. If you choose to walk, do follow Clontarf Road and don't curve along the waterfront (continue straight through the lights) otherwise you end up in the shipping/industrial section of town, not too pleasant. We also took the taxi a couple of times back to the hotel from central Dublin, and the fare was about 15.00 EUR - not bad. There also seemed to be taxi's available for pickup at the hotel driveway whenever needed -- we actually called for a taxi on 2 occassions (once to go to the airport, the night before the other to go into central Dublin) -- they both arrived within minutes of the receptionist hanging up the phone, so its very convenient.

Back to the hotel. Our's was a standard room - probably about 250 sq ft and was perfect size for 2 adults. This hotel appears to have been renovated maybe 3-5 years ago, so everything in the room is fairly new, modern touches (American's you'll be very comfortable, no worries). There is a mini bar in the room with all of your basics, a regular shower and tub (with a separate handheld head) and a little desk and small coffee table.

All throughout the property they have done a great job of adding historical photographs, artifacts, tapestries, etc. - you will love it! The building itself is comprised of the original castle (lobby and front area, partial Knight's Bar/Fahrenheit restaurant) and the surrounding space is all the new construction (meeting rooms, guest rooms, fitness center, etc.). Bring a camera, as this property is incredibly camera-worthy day or night.

There is a small business center area with 2 internet-capable computers (free of charge, 24 hours) which we used to print directions, keep up on email, post pics to Facebook, etc. and pay our E-Flow toll for driving through the M-50 ($4.00 USD each time you cross it).

We dined about 6 times in Knight's Bar, which seemed to have a balance of tourists/hotel guests and local's from the neighborhood (the castle is surrounded by residential homes), a really neat mix and very cool atmosphere. Its casual, pub-style. If you enter from the hotel side, keep going around the corner, past the bar to the other side, there is a huge fireplace and big screen TV's, etc. and a bit more room. The food was good each night we dined there and the beer's...nice and cold! I ordered the chicken panini sandwich on the first night (which was blah) but every other meal was great.

We dined once for breakfast and once for dinner in Fahrenheit (upstairs from Knight's Bar). I was quite surprised that it was fairly empty both times. Our dinner was spectacular (Irish Angus Beef Steak) and service was great. This space is very cool, large and open and lots of nice touches that really make it a romantic atmosphere. I think its location on Level 2 might be a bummer for the hotel as its actually a nice atmosphere. They offer a breakfast buffet in the morning which was 10 EUR per person (and included authentic Irish breakfast options). There is a neighborhood market area about 10 minutes walk with a grocery store, ATM machine, and a couple of restaurants -- we did not go into them, but at least its an alternative.

I also used the fitness center, which was a basic room with standard equipment. If you are a jogger, this hotel is in a perfect location -- at the end of Castle Avenue on Clontarf Road is a long park that lines the harbor, lots of joggers, walkers, bikers, etc. great atmosphere.

The interaction we had with every staff member in every department was truly authentic and kind. The evening desk staff are quite warm and helpful, and Nolan at the front desk was extremely helpful and courteous (checked us in, and out on departure as well).

i can truly see why this place was so busy (both the hotel and the meeting space as well). It is incredibly charming, quiet and you almost feel like you have the castle all to yourselves given the atmosphere and the kind staff. I can't thank everyone at Clontarf enough for making this vacation truly memorable and rewarding.

Room Tip: Hotel staff do read your requests on booking
5 Thank bothell2boise
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed by the Castle and that you had such a comfortable stay with us. I am very pleased that you could experience all aspects of the hotel, including the food in Knights Bar and Fahrenheit Grill. I hope that you will return to the castle again if you visit Ireland in the future.

Mark Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Carthage IL
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We came to the Clontarf after a long flight and the staff had our room available early. The accommodations lived up to the name 'castle". We enjoyed a wonderful evening meal in the Fahrenheit Grill. The Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup was fabulous!
Breakfast was quite fine.
Thanks to the staff of the Clontarf our vacation started off smoothly.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us here at Clontarf Castle and that you enjoyed the food in Fahrenheit Grill. I do hope to welcome you back to the castle very soon.

denmark
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at the Clontarf and we were not dissapointed. It is ran very professionaly and inside it is a cross between oldie worldy and modern which blend very well.

The room was beautiful and roomy, my bed was very comfortable. There is a pub in the hotel where you can get traditional Irish food which was amazing, it was that good that we ate there all the time !!! Needless to say the guiness was beautiful.

Breakfast was lovely and served upstairs in the restaurant and had an amazing choice of full english (Or Irish rather) and continental etc etc

The only problem with this hotel is that it is about fifteen minute drive from the town centre but the taxis where very reasonable and if we went back to Dublin then we would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I’m so pleased that you had such an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us here at Clontarf Castle. I’m delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the food and drink in Knights Bar. I hope you have enjoyed your overall trip to Dublin and I do hope to welcome you back to the castle very soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed one night in Clontarf Castle Hotel at the end of our trip. We arrived exhausted and harried but were thoroughly enchanted by the idea and reality of sleeping in a castle. The decor was charming and exciting. We had a great time looking around, taking pictures, reading about the history of the castle and generally enjoying the experience.
We had made a last minute booking and were quite pleased to be upgraded to a jr. suite. The room was thoroughly charming though the amenities and cleanliness were not quite as high as at other hotels we had stayed at on our trip.
We had dinner by the fire in the lobby bar. The food was quite good and had a nice range of choices to suit our varied tastes (one 3 year old, one vegetarian, and one meat eater).
The bed itself was incredibly comfortable. Our only real complaint is that the room was way too hot at night. Even with the windows open we were throwing off the blankets and waking up sweaty. Perhaps we messed up with the thermostat but the open windows definitely didn't allow for sufficient airflow.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted to hear you were so impressed by the castle, and that you enjoyed all aspects of the castle experince. Many apologies for the heat in the room I do hope this didn’t disrupt your sleep too much. I hope to welcome you back to the castle again in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Beautiful hotel- good mix of old and new. Room was lovely- amazing headboard!
My partner proposed here so will always remember it.
Quick and cheap bus ride into town,

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a kind review. I’m delighted you had such a lovely, memorable stay here and I hope to have you back very soon. Congratulations on the engagement. Please don’t hesitate to contact our wedding co-ordinator, Gabriela Santos on 8332321 if you decide to have your wedding here. We’d be delighted to host your special day.

Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed here at the end of our 10 day trip around Ireland. We were upgraded to an executive room due to a problem with our booking, but didn't have the complimentary bottled mineral waters or fluffy bathrobes they list on the website. It was a smoking room in a smoking section of the castle, which was very smelly for us non-smokers. We had to open the windows to air it out. Unfortunately we were also over a service entrance and the employees were loud coming and going. The Farenheit Grill, while tasty somewhat, was a bit on the pretentious side. The bed was extra comfy and the shower had great pressure. (Several of the places we stayed at in Ireland were barely lukewarm shower water)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear that you had such a comfortable and relaxing stay with us here in the castle. I do however apologise for the mix up with your booking, leaving you on a smoking floor. I hope to welcome you back to the castle soon.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Wanting an overnight last week for my spouse and myself in the Clontarf area, I called up 'Clontarf Castle' and made the booking.
Arriving in the late evening the sound of a wedding party function had us worried.
We need not have had the concern. We got a quiet room, newly refurbed and in immaculate condition.
Breakfast was more than enough and well presented.
The all in cost, with a March offer, was less than € 100, excellant value.
We left feeling refreshed.
I wondered would guests find it a little difficult to locate and travel on from it. I got my answer as we drove out the driveway - a number of taxis available and waiting.
We will be back - and thank you 'Clontarf Castle'

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I’m delighted that you had such a lovely stay here in the Castle. I’m glad to hear that you got an ideally located room away from the wedding to avoid disruption. I look forward to welcoming you back to the castle and I do hope it will be in the near future.