“Great location”
Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Terrific location and very comfortable room.Upgraded to deluxe upon arrival.Close to Trinity College and Grafton St.and all shopping.Concierge was personable and gifted.Food was wonderful and close by.Breakfast was adequate and included in price.

Room Tip: Deluxe on high floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hi Budd199
Thank you for your kind words after your stay with us in The Westin Dublin. I would like to thank you for your special mention of the concierge team here it is so nice when we are able to delight our guests. I hope we will welcome you again to the Westin the next time you visit Dublin from New York.
Be well

There are newer reviews for The Westin Dublin

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Maybe if we had not been impressed by The Shelbourne Hotel where we stayed one night before checking into this Westin Hotel, then perhaps we would have been okay with it. I really tried to like this Westin. But I could not help make comparisons with The Shelbourne. Here are some of the reasons why you should stay at The Shelbourne instead of Westin:
1. The Shelbourne is steep in Irish history. There is a little museum inside the hotel about its history and famous guests.
2. Westin charges for wifi access. The Shelbourne doesn't.
3. Our one-bedroom suite in Westin looked was boring. Very business like; zero charm at all. The Shelbourne's was beautifully appointed and was named the JFK suite, a nod to a famous Irish-American, our former president.
4. Westin charges extra for breakfast. The Shelbourne's one-bedroom suite included free breakfast. Our suite at The Shelbourne had fresh flowers and a live plant. I know it's silly mentioning that here but those little things make quite an impression for travelers like me. It means the hotel is really trying to make me feel at home.
5. The cost of a one bedroom suite is comparable for both hotels, so why settle for a crummy suite?

1  Thank WanderingAmerican

Hi Wandering American
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Westin Dublin. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is unfortunate that you did not like the décor of the suite you stayed in and I am sorry to read that. Did you know that we are lucky enough to be located in a wonderful old building that is too steeped in history? The Westin is located in an opulent 19th century building that was originally a bank and we have kept many of the original features. I would like to say thanks again for taking the time to share your comments, and I hope that we might see you again some time in the future where perhaps we could show you some of the lovely building we have here.
Kind Regards

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for 6 nights. I am a lifetime platinum member and generally get treated very well (smiling front desk staff thanks me for loyalty upon arrival, automatic upgrade to a suite without asking, handwritten welcome letter from staff waiting in the room , chocolates / welcome snacks placed in my room before arrival etc...). Well, it was none of that here but on top of that, the treatment I got at this hotel was nothing short of "insulting".

So, here it goes ---

I arrived at the hotel at 1 PM. I had previously requested an early check-in as I was initially scheduled to reach by 10 AM. After a long line and very slow / inefficient moving of guests in the line I was told that I can have an ordinary room immediately or must wait 3 hours for a better room... I argued and challenged the front desk to come up with a more reasonable alternative, such as they could check me into an ordinary room and tell me when a better room is ready so that I can move, and to that I was told that they can't do it because they will then need to clean my first room --- ??? REALLY !!! I couldn't believe the arrogance and stubbornness of this guy at the front desk with a smirk on his face and "I don't care about you" attitude ... I demanded manager's attention and then I was told to wait in an empty conference room for 2 hours by the time my room got ready (probably so that they won't have to deal with me for some time!). The assigned room was good / satisfactory but nothing extra ordinary worth the long painful wait!

I was paying top rate for my stay and generally breakfast is included in my corporate rate and/or as platinum member benefit. I was given a choice of 500 points/day or breakfast vouchers. I chose the points and paid big bucks for breakfast every day. When I checked out, I reminded them that I expected these points to show up in my account. Today, a month after my stay and already calling Platinum support line twice to inform, these guys are still mulling over what exactly it is that they need to do.

Yes, the location is fabulous - right next to the Trinity College, close to Temple bar. Walk-ability is superb and it is a great location for exploring the city. Hotel facilities are decent but the staff / service gets an "F" from me.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PG13LA

Hello PG13LA and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, however I would like to offer my apologies for the frustrations you experienced while you were with us. As you know we value our loyal SPG guests very highly this is why I am delighted to hear that our front office manager has been in contact with you and this matter has been resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.
We look forward to your return visit the next time you are in Dublin.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location is definitely the biggest plus. The room are nice, properly furnished (even if it is odd to have TV speakers also in the bathroom) and warm. The level of the staff was very inconsistent. Most of them were marvelous but some other were almost unbearable. The biggest down was the 15 Euro per day internet connection, clearly unacceptable in a 4 stars hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hello seifer1975
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Westin Dublin, it is very nice to read that you were happy with many aspects of your stay and that you liked your room. However I am sorry to read that you found the service to be inconsistent this is not how we want our guests to experience their stay in the Westin. I would like to apologise to you for this.
Kind Regards

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just around the corner from Trinity College and literally across the street from the AirTrain coach, which transports you to/from the airport for 7 euros. You can walk to the Temple Bar area, yet are away from the crowds.
As far as the hotel itself, maybe I'm spoiled by the Westin resorts, but it just seemed like a regular
(expensive) European hotel. If I based my review only on the first few nights we stayed there, and forgot about the last night (a 2nd check-in 3 days later), I would have a more positive feeling.
The concierge staff, doormen, restaurant staff were all very nice, but the reception desk left me fuming.
The room was very comfortable and the bathroom quite nice.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor, in case there is a wedding or other celebration going on be...
3  Thank SparkleAnnie
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hello SparkleAnnie
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us in The Westin Dublin.
Thanks for your nice comments about our concierge team and the team in The Exchange restaurant, however I am sorry to read that you were so unhappy with the team in reception and I would like to apologise for that.
I have passed your comments to our Front Office manager and we are investigating as we do not accept anyone on the team being rude to our guests
If you would like to get in contact with me directly I would be delighted to speak with you about this issue, thanks again.
All the best

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My sister and I have stayed in many many Westins in countries all around the world and they have always been our brand of choice but this experience soured us on them. The good points are the location is close to the Liffey, Grafton Street and The Book of Kells and the concierge guys are super nice and helpful as are the doormen.

The bad news is that the front desk staff were cold and condescending when we discussed a rate issue that arose because someone at SPG's reservation center had failed to send my sister an email confirming our rate. They could have easily seen that we both have their AMEX cards, have used them extensively for many years and believed her very detailed and accurate explanation. But they stuck with the party line and spoke to us as if we were children about how hotel pricing fluctuates - trust me, we know and get it! And they charged us about 100 euros over what she was told would be the charge.

Then we were put in a room right over a loud wedding reception (don't stay on the 1st floor). The noise did end at 11:40 which they said it would but when you're dead tired that can feel very late. Also we had stayed there 4 nights at the beginning of our trip and were now back for a last night before leaving the country and when we said "Hi, we remember you" to the woman at the front desk she said "Unfortunately, I can't say the same" with a blank face. Jeezh - this didn't feel like Ireland! They need at least one Irish person at the check-in desk so you can remember what country you're in - one where the people are nice!

Also there wasn't good lighting in the room, the hair dryer couldn't be used in the bathroom and it would have been nice if when they offered to call us a cab they told us there's a 5 euro surcharge for calling one to a hotel and you can walk to a very nearby cab stand and avoid that charge.

They also have a very high fee for wi-fi. They refunded it to us as we were in town for a travel bloggers' conference but they also gave us a little speech, again as if we were idiots, that this "wouldn't guarantee that it would always be free". We don't react well to being talked down to!

It's too bad that one lousy experience can turn you on a brand but I have to say that this one did. But once again - remember that the doormen and concierge guys are nice as are the bar tenders and wait staff downstairs in The Mint Bar.

Can't resist one more thing - the single beds don't seem to be "Heavenly Beds" and every night I slept there I woke up with an aching hip and that didn't happen at any other hotels.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else unless you can stay here on points
4  Thank KayMarco

Dear KEDBoston
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments after you and your sister stayed wiht us in The Westin Dublin however I am very concerned about the inconsistent service you experienced.
First of all I would like to apologise that your experience in this occasion was not five star. This is not the type of service that The Westin Dublin is renowned for and I would like to address the highlighted issues with my management team to ensure is does not happen again.
I am most upset to read that anyone on our team spoke to one of guests in such a condescending way. I am very disappointed when we fail to delight our guests and I am saddened you encountered an experience like this. I will personally follow with the members of my team for investigation and retraining.
I am somewhat mollified to read that our team in The Mint and concierge team were able to help you enjoy some of your time with us. However I would appreciate it if you could take the time to get in contact with me directly so we can I hope go some ways to resolving these issues.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were there for 4 nights and it was our favorite out of all the hotels we stayed in over 2 weeks. It was an old bank building that is In the heart of Dublin's places to see. Bathroom was fabulous-spacious AND beautiful. Great bar downstairs with excellent food and hotel restaurant was beautiful also. Definitely a repeat visit is needed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kgoodr8559
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hi kgoodr8559
It is a great pleasure and so encouraging to receive such positive feedback from our guests. Its great to read that we were your favourite hotel on your two week trip. I am delighted to read you liked your room and took some time to enjoy yourselves in the Mint bar. I am glad you enjoyed the history associated with The Westin Dublin which is unique to our property.
I look forward toyour repeat visit thanks again.
Slan agus Beannacht