“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #81 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Edmonton, Canada
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel is located in a fantastic location in Temple Bar. The AirLink bus from the airport stops just a couple of blocks away from it and it was easy to haul our luggage to the hotel. The main bus line was close by and it was within walking distance to most of the major attractions. Also, it was easy to find restaurants / pubs and shopping nearby.

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for three nights (during the weekday) in early July and checked into the hotel early in the morning, around 10am. It was quite full and understandably the hotel didn’t have a lot of rooms available at that hour. But after I explained that we had been travelling from Canada, and we were up already for over 24 hours, and we really just needed a room to wash up and change, the gentleman at the front desk found us a room immediately. The room was fine enough in its size and cleanliness; nothing stellar or outstanding but not horrible either. The hair dryer in the room wasn’t working but the staff had it fixed quickly. The breakfast was included in our rate and there were enough of the basics to get our day started. Again not an amazing breakfast, but sufficient considering it was included in our rate. The hotel has a bar which served good drinks and meals and it had good music in the evenings.

Our sleep quality is the reason I’ve considered this hotel a three and not a four. We were in Room 315; it faced the inside court and we left the window open as there wasn’t any air conditioning to cool down the room. As a result of the open window we could hear some noise at night as people sang in the streets or a loud car would pass by. My husband and I are not light sleepers and we were certainly tired from our travels, but it was enough to wake us up sporadically. The final annoyance came on our last night when the fire alarm went off, twice! The rude awakening came at about 3am and the second at 8am. Apparently someone had been smoking in their room and set it off. The front clerk said that the guest was no longer staying at the hotel. I’m glad to know the hotel staff was being proactive about the situation, but that was a little late for our sleep.

Overall, the staff was friendly, helpful and efficient, the room was clean enough and the breakfast had enough to get our day started. I don’t know if you could beat the location of the hotel as it was a convenient walk to everything we wanted. I booked the hotel through the AirCanada website and felt that it was a good deal for the hotel. I would stay here again even though we had some difficulty with the noise. Hopefully they will have renovated and have air conditioning in by that time and then street noise wouldn’t be an issue.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelOn9928

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I just stayed here last week. The rooms are very sparse (spartan-like might be more accurate), but they seemed clean. The bathroom could have used a refresher--the tub was a bit moldy around the caulking, but I think it was more a factor of the room being old, not that it wasn't cleaned.

One big word of caution--if you are staying here on a weekend, there is a rockin night club underneath the hotel. My husband and I are young and like to party, but it was a bit too loud, even for us. It happened to be unseasonably warm when we were in Dublin, so we had to sleep with the windows open (as they do not have AC in Dublin). So the thumping club noise was a bit of an issue.

Overall, we got a good deal on this room, and it is a GREAT location in Temple Bar.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank esk32

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Didn’t get off to the best start here. The receptionist was a bit rude and demanding. Her demands for ID and €50 deposit were a bit excessive. After going to many hotels around the country, I’ve never experienced this. The rooms were very basic as was the bathroom. The bar downstairs was very good. The noise at night didn't annoy me as I was in pubs and clubs around the city. The room served its purpose - a place to lay your head down for a few hours. Don’t book this place if you are looking for luxury because you wont get it. Great value room at €62. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Dublin for New Years and booked this hotel due to its good location.
When we arrived at night they put us into a room with two separate beds, which we really didn't like. As we asked them to give us a new room they said it wouldnt be possible that night but the next day. Nothing ever happened.
The room itself was OK. Nothing special but not bad.
It was really noisy outside, even on the weekdays. It was so noisy I woke up and found it very hard to go back to sleep. It kindof ruined the dublin sight seeing because i was always so tired. SInce it was also kindof cold, we let the heater on as we left to explore Dublin. As we came back at night the heater was off and therefore the room super cold again.

Besides that, the Hotel has a lovely Pub with good food and a nice atmosphere. We spent every night there and even New Years eve. I would recommend this place to people that go there to party every night and want to spend time there during the summer. For me it was definitely too cold in the room( and I am German- so pretty much used to cold winters) and way to loud. Next time I will search for a Hotel away from Temple bar since getting around in the city is very easy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed in blooms hotel in June 2012!

NEVER AGAIN!

The room was disgraceful.

Dirty carpet.
Dirty bathroom.
Rude staff.

They do not provide tea/coffee service in the room. I asked at reception for a kettle and I was told that one would be brought to my room!? Upon check out (after three days) the kettle had not arrived.

I called down on our second day for an iron and ironing board.

Upon check out it still had not arrived.

I may be wrong, but are these not the VERY BASIC items that you would expect in ANY hotel?

The highlight of our stay in blooms hotel was the staff in the VAT house bar (hotel bar) they are amazing. Andrew and Robbie where amazing, they love Dublin and love BEING from Dublin. Even when they where talking with others guests we hung on they're every word.

Blooms hotel..........?

NEVER AGAIN!

The VAT House bar......?

Everytime I visit Dublin in the future.

Andrew and Robbie, thank you.

Blooms hotel? No thanks.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank 12345678901112131415
Lima, Peru
Reviewed July 26, 2012

First of all i have to recognise the best thing about this hotel. The receptionists are really gentle, except for one thing a female receptionist said, even when i know she didnt said it with bad intentions. After remarking that they were really gentle im afraid to said that it wasnt enough to make me think about returning to Blooms hotel.

They gave me a room almost hidden from all the rest. I guess it was the 116 that, with the 118, are tho rooms apart from the rest. Hidden behind a door on the long typical corridor.

The bathtub had a lot of huge stains that would take away my willing to take a shower. The bathroom door had a huge space on the lower part that would let out the "natural" smells and noises from the bathroom.

The carpet was full of stains. The toilet paper was used (i mean that the roll was not new) and i found a dirty towel.

Im adding some photos. Do not confuse the shadows with dirt.

Room Tip: Avoid 116 or 118. Are far and hidden.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Snake_II
The Netherlands
Reviewed July 24, 2012

First of all; the location of the hotel couldn't be more central. Right in the middle of Temple Bar. Which also could be a bit of a con for light sleepers as it's really noisy at night. We requested a room as high up as possible because of what we read in reviews here (about Club M & the street noise). That was granted, but we were right above the entrance, so our room was at the busy street side of the hotel. Which meant; noisy. And I'm not picky, I'm used to noise, as I'm a citygirl & been to quite a few places (and stayed in different places in Dublin before), but this.. jees. The windows were quite thin and without earplugs you just won't get any sleep (during the weekend at least). Then when we were asleep, the fire alarm went off at 2.15. Not a clue why it set off, but I remember reading about that in one of the reviews here as well. Not much sleep after that. Anyway, enough about the noise.

Hotel itself was pretty basic. Airlink airport bus stops right around the corner from the hotel (Dame Street), which is great. A lot of sightseeing can be done walking. From the outside the hotel looks a little dodgy, but inside it's great, despite the rooms being a bit sober. Check-in went rather smoothly & staff was friendly enough.

Room & bathroom were clean & we got new towels every day. We didn't have breakfast with the room so can't comment on that. We missed the coffee/tea facilities in our room though. I think that's a standard facility in a hotel room. Good thing was we could store out bags after checking out, as we were flying out in the late afternoon.

All in all, we had quite a good stay. The pros outweighted the cons.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends