“Way too noisy”

Ranked #110 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
A TripAdvisor Member
“Way too noisy”
Reviewed March 30, 2006

If you're over 25, you probably don't want to stay at the Harcourt Hotel. If you're 25 and under, you would probably be out in the streets hoopin'and hollerin'until 3 or 4 in the morning with the hordes of night clubbers. The Harcourt is located in the heart of party central, and the rooms are very small. On the positive side, it was clean, the employees were all very nice, great water pressure and there are earplugs in the night stand.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Central NY
Reviewed March 15, 2006

We stayed at this hotel the whole week before the Rugby weekend. We booked early ahead and our room price went up approximately 40 euros for the first night, Sat., before the Rugby event. We'll admit there was noise on Thurs., and Fri. nights but it was relatively quiet during the week. We faced the street almost directly above the club. The Irish young set seem to go out later so if you fell asleep before 10:30 - 11 pm you missed most of the "fun" unless they stayed out late until 4 am. If it got too noisy we closed the window. We found the bouncers friendly and comforting, they weren't allowing just anybody entrance!The hotel faces what we believe was a Garda ofc. bldg.
We had the window open because the hotel provided us with heat. Thank goodness, we froze outside! We always had hot water no matter what time of day. The bathroom had been recently remodeled and worked well. Our room was always cleaned and we received what ever we asked for. It contained a coffee pot so when we came back from the room we could make soup, coffee, tea, etc.(and all of the above was provided)and the same for breakfast if we preferred.
We were in walking distance to everything...Grafton St. shopping, Powerscourt, St. Stephen's Green, Trinity College, Natn'l Museum, the Castle, and Temple Bar. If you make a right outside of the hotel one block up is a Starbucks and markets to shop in etc. There are several ethnic restaurants if you continue in that direction towards the canal. The DART goes right by the hotel. It does not stop there but it really isn't necessary to use as the Grafton St. mall is only two blocks away. If you come by plane you may take the Aircoach for 12 - 14 euro roundtrip it'll drop you two blocks from the hotel, it stores you luggage underneath...if you have a good deal though this may be a hike. Otherwise you can take the city bus, 16a, and manage your luggage alone for 1.30 euro and stops across from the park.
Our favorite restaurant was The Bank, dirt cheap, great atmosphere, good food, and the best Irish Coffee I had all week. We also enjoyed The Dandelion (one block from hotel towards Grafton), Ho-Sen, The Cedar Tree, Papaya, and Lord Edwards for mussells upstairs (as an appetizer for lunch.) We found food a bit pricey but we enjoyed everything we ate and the service was impeccable.
Don't see any need to buy the Dublin Pass as they list the National Museums but they are all free anyway. We will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank homec
uk
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Stayed for 3 nights this last weekend (for the rugby)Paid Euro 266 for Sat night.. the worst case of money grabbing imaginable. (usual rate 69 per night) The room was noisy, had to fight our way through vomit and the rudest bouncers just to enter the hotel in the evening.

Worse still this Hotel contravenes every fire regulation in the book with emergency exits that lead to dead ends. (Fire doors with no handles which open outwards) Clearly no respect for guests, for their staff (who are young and the worse for wear mostly), no pride in the Hotel or the business.
Shameful!

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank shutupndrive

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

South Pasadena, California
Reviewed January 6, 2006

I was very pleased with this hotel. This marked my 8th trip to Dublin. I usually stay in Temple Bar or Ballsbridge. This hotel and its area was a first for me, and I really liked the hotel, the neighborhood, nearby pubs/clubs, and convenience to the Luas and Grafton St. There was a minor mix-up when I checked in, as the hotel charged me more than what my Orbitz reservation confirmed. The reservations manager decided to refund me and deal with Orbitz for the difference, which I thought was great service. There is an ATM at the hotel, and nearby coffee and sandwich shops, as well as adjacent Little Cesars Italian restaurant, which had great food and good wine. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt comfortable here. I stayed in the adjacent building where you had separate access to the building with your room key (saves you from having to bang on the front door for access if you are coming in late -- and a bit drunk -- from the clubs/pubs). Very clean, but small room. Yes, it is loud, but all Dublin hotels are loud due to pubs and clubs nearby, so just deal with it. It is fun! Good value!!

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank Christine M
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Stayed (me, my wife and my daughter) in the Harcourt Hotel in Dublin for 4 NTS on 6 dec 2005.
The location is brillant, just a few steps from Grafton Street and within walking distance of everything. We found the hotel to be nicely appointed and very clean, especially the bathrooms.
We never had a problem with noise!

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 26, 2005

The staff didn't appear that knowledgeable. For example, upon check-in I asked the guy at the desk how to get into the hotel after 11 (as I've read in previous comments that main door was locked) and he told me that now that doesn't happen anymore, well it still applies. Not a big issue in the end, but if you don't even know how guests are supposed to access the place you work at I don't see why somebody should ask for advices. On their behalf, I've to say that anybody behind that desk looked always extremely busy and always gave the impression of being attending more than one duty at the same time. Another odd thing was that upon check-in I was asked for a full prepayment.

The room was fine, very quiet and comfortable although cleaning standards weren't really that high. The worst part was that I had problems with the hot water in the shower almost every day, even after I mentioned it to the desk. The idea I got was that there wasn't that much to fix as the water pressure seems to not reach the top floor that well, so I'd suggest requesting for a lower floor if you don't want to find yourself in a waterless shower for a while during peak hours.

The pub, quite surprisingly, is more pricy than some places in Temple Bar! If you want to stay in the area I'd rather suggest The Bleeding Horse on Camden St. Upper (right next to the Camden Court Hotel) that offered more reasonable prices and a more "Irishy" atmosphere.

In the end the place could be fine if they go through some minor changes, but I'm quite sure that for the same budget you can get a room in a more central location.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank alexdeflorence
Widnes, Cheshire
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Read all the reviews about the Harcourt Hotel, even the one about the noise from the Club - but still felt we would like to stay there. The Hotel is brilliantly located to reach all venues - great walk through St Stephens Green Park - The Hotel itself is very clean and well presented, bedrooms are spotlessly clean, but I have to admit the noise from the Club is bad if you are at the front of the hotel - we stayed in room 100 - first night was woken at 3.00am second night made sure we had enough guinness to help us throught it!!!! This is the only thing I can fault it on - it didn't spoil our stay but it is worth bearing in mind.

• Stayed October 2005